AMA - I'm Dustin, Hyrule.net found... Ask me anything!

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Bit of a prick though.

Posted

You created Hnet right? Why did you make it?

Posted

What is your favorite dance move.

Posted

I know that you and I don't have a relationship, but do you want to hang out IRL??

I saw that you want to go on adventures

(I live in north Texas)

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

LL officially asking Dustin out on a date.

Teto likes this

Posted

dustin can i be you please

Posted (edited)

What's the most important thing to you right now?

Very hard question... I've thought on it a bit and still unable to answer any better than saying something like friends/family/my cat. All physical belonging are pretty dispensable compared to anything else.  If I am limited to picking a material item then I'd likely say my laptop as it allows me to connect with online friends such as you Saha. :D

Obligatory small-talk favourite colour question (o;

I'm partially colorblind so I see a few less colors or can differentiate from them less... but I like blues a lot. I'd say this blue is my favorite. I'm going to paint my room in my attic that I'm building this color: 

Do you still love me like I do you ;-;

This is my 11111th post

More than you could imagine. :D I remember when you first showed up in the chat years and years ago. Nevar forget.

What's your take on this zeldanig person? Do you agree that he is, in fact, a menace?

I don't think he's necessarily a menace or came just to cause trouble.  I think when questioned about his name he became obtuse which only aided in escalating the issue.  I can understand both sides of the controversy with his name.  I'm insanely anti-censorship though.  What I WISHED would have happened would be something like him being approached and explained why his name might bother people and him responding with an understanding that while that wasn't his purpose that by changing his name everyone could move on happier.  Since that wasn't the case things got messy.  I'm not saying him not wanting to change his name was wrong, but that it certainly did make things more difficult.  I think he then became obtuse and difficultly passive agressive which Saha reacted strongly too. I haven't seen what he's done since then.  Anyone that remembers me from the earlier days here knows that I'd fight like hell to defend free speech here even if offensive.  I still think that's important.  While free speech should be allowed in my opinion, I don't think that necessarily means it's a <i>good idea</i> to always exercise it to the fullest. In short, freedom of speech is important but just try not to be an asshole because that just makes the world shitty for all of us...

You created Hnet right? Why did you make it?

I really liked Zelda and saw that a lot of other people liked Zelda too.  I found the #zelda chatroom and a lot of people started going there and I discovered the hyrule.net domain was available.  I made the site and put up a forum.  It really became a home for me and over the years I literally made hundreds of friends and met people from all around the world from all walks of life.  Rich, poor, straight, gay, Christian, atheist, people with crazy fetishes, old people, young people, children, teens, very strange people, people with anger issues, drug problems, depression, etc. Most of the in depth relationships occurred on chat. I loved everyone I met.  It kind of ruined me for in real life interactions though because I always felt people more 'real' online and more 'themselves'.  When interacting online people were less afraid to show their true colors and be vulnerable with sharing themselves.  Many people told me things that I don't think they would in person due to fear of rejection / repurcussions.  I feel I really got to know a lot of people in real true ways.  I found out things about many people still here today.  I love them for it because they shared a bit of themselves with me.  I got to hear people's stories and it provided me with a great deal of empathy for humans and all the troubles everyone has in life.  I found out that everybody suffers, everybody wants to love, and everybody is fucked up in one to many ways.  We all are trying in our own way too.  I met many assholes / trolls and when I got to personally know many of them I got to see the real person behind the troll mask and saw wonderful people.  I will forever cherish those relationships and getting to know those people.  I find it hard to hate anyone even if they act like terrible people because I see what's beneath all of that through my past experiences with others like them.

You can kind of say that I was selfish... I made hyrule.net because I couldn't find the community that _I_ wanted to be a part of so I made my own community.  It grew well beyond me of course and around the time I went off to college I got busy with non-internet things, made friends offline, and drifted away from it because I felt like internet relationships were less real to me than in-person ones.  I later realized that wasn't actually the case.  They weren't less real, just different.  I really liked the in person relationships though as there's something special about seeing the person you're interacting with, laughing together, exploring the world, and building experiences in person.  But that doesn't make the online interactions any less real.  I kind of feel like I've met a balance now in life having had more of both types of relationships and interactions.  Until college the majority of my friendships were online-based so I felt I had missed out on that aspect of life for a while.  I really cherish this place now though and hope to never leave it again and hope it continues on indefinitely.  I absolutely love that I was able to create a place / community that allowed others to become friends.  I kind of feel like that's my greatest accomplishment in life: creating a place for friendships to be made... if I die having done that I feel like I did something worthwhile for sure...

What is your favorite dance move.

I don't know much about dancing and I can't really dance... I mean I guess I can fake basic dancing like if I was at prom or something but nothing fancy.  I like cats so if a cat was dancing I'd probably enjoy it.

I know that you and I don't have a relationship, but do you want to hang out IRL??

I saw that you want to go on adventures

(I live in north Texas)

That might could be cool. :D Tell me more about yourself! I love exploring.  I also see you like Adventure Time!!!! I love it...

I've had proposals to hang out before IRL in the past but didn't end up taking people up on it mostly because I was like 20 and it was a 12-13yo boys wanting to hang out and I didn't want to get arrested... Granted we'd still probably have had fun playing games or hiking or something but older guys meeting up with kids makes people assume it's something shady going on which is a darn shame for everyone involved.  I understand the issues with it, especially with strangers online but I do feel a little sad for kids these days at least for people that aren't so much strangers because adults can't really even talk to kids without people questioning their motives.  Kids really need adult relationships & role models and parents are busier than ever to spend time with their kids.

dustin can i be you please

I'd let you if I could! I'd love to be you! Also, I miss you.

Edited by Du5t1n (see edit history)
pheonix561 and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

That might could be cool. :D Tell me more about yourself! I love exploring.  I also see you like Adventure Time!!!! I love it...

I've had proposals to hang out before IRL in the past but didn't end up taking people up on it mostly because I was like 20 and it was a 12-13yo boys wanting to hang out and I didn't want to get arrested... Granted we'd still probably have had fun playing games or hiking or something but older guys meeting up with kids makes people assume it's something shady going on which is a darn shame for everyone involved.  I understand the issues with it, especially with strangers online but I do feel a little sad for kids these days at least for people that aren't so much strangers because adults can't really even talk to kids without people questioning their motives.  Kids really need adult relationships & role models and parents are busier than ever to spend time with their kids.

Oh. Well I am 22 and I have driven to (relatively) many forum members. You sound like a cool guy. But yeah, I don't know what to say about myself really. I was serious about meeting, but lol I dunno what to do next

Posted

I'd like to point out that Hyrule.net turned 14 years old last year, making it (unless I'm mistaken) the oldest Zelda Fan Community and Website to still exist today. A lot of you have been here for many many years and have made this all worthwhile.

Posted

Hnet is older than some of its members

Teto likes this

Posted

Hnet is older than some of its members

Wow. Thats a pretty crazy thought

Posted

I was 13 when I signed up here, and I'm 20 now.

Posted

Dude you're younger than me?

Posted

Dude, I guess.

Posted

Time goes by fast... We were all kids not long ago. Once people here start having babies are their kids going to be hyrule members too? :o