Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Daft Punk's Random Access Memories album

91 posts in this topic

Posted

The vocals definitely bother me for the first bit up until he's really singing at "We've come too far..", at which point they settle and start sounding good.

Yeah that's how I feel

Posted

yeah not gonna lie my first thought when I saw Pharrell was this

probably nsfw, rap music videos are unpredictable:

Posted

Here you go:

Posted

I don't trust any of these until the full album releases, so I won't listen to them lol.

Posted

Posted

pharrells vocals are such a let down

Cirt and Teto like this

Posted

I hear that a lot lol. ;< Hopefully when I listen to it I can get used to it.

Posted

I just listened, and I think you guys are crazy lol. He's just fine.

Michael likes this

Posted

Pharrell isn't the kind of person that you seek out for anything (except an arrest warrant???) like I really doubt Daft Punk, when discussing their new album, dropped the name Pharrell as a collaborator. His voice isn't distinct or unique or anything. This is "selling out" if I ever saw it.

Posted

His voice is fine for what it does; Daft Punk's decisions were made primarily for the respect they had for people in the industry and who they'd met and conversed with at events. They apparently met Pharrell at a party and he told them that if they needed anything done at all, he'd be there, even if it was just playing a cymbal. If that's true, it was probably just happenstance that he became the vocalist for Get Lucky, and I don't think his voice subtracts anything from the musical value I hear in the track; it's actually pretty nice for the soulful groovy feel, and even if you don't like it, the instrumentals are otherwise pretty breathtaking.

Besides, if anything I think Nile Rodgers as a celebrity overshadows him completely. I'd never even heard of Pharrell until this album.

Posted

Neither had I. I figured he was some little known musician that Daft Punk had some personal connection to, and so I thought it was pretty nice that they let him in on this. They even have Panda Bear (Animal Collective) collaborating on one of the tracks, which should be interesting.

While his vocals are good in the chorus, the rest of the time they can be pretty lacklustre. It felt like listening to karaoke at some points.

Otherwise the song is decent. All this coming from someone who doesn't get a lot out of funky house music like what Daft Punk makes. The robotic vocals have always been a bit iffy with me, like some days they'll sound really good and others they just bother me. Like now they sound fine but if you were to ask me yesterday I'd say they grate me like the crying of children or a balloon rubbed against polystyrene.

Posted

His voice is fine for what it does; Daft Punk's decisions were made primarily for the respect they had for people in the industry and who they'd met and conversed with at events. They apparently met Pharrell at a party and he told them that if they needed anything done at all, he'd be there, even if it was just playing a cymbal. If that's true, it was probably just happenstance that he became the vocalist for Get Lucky, and I don't think his voice subtracts anything from the musical value I hear in the track; it's actually pretty nice for the soulful groovy feel, and even if you don't like it, the instrumentals are otherwise pretty breathtaking.

Besides, if anything I think Nile Rodgers as a celebrity overshadows him completely. I'd never even heard of Pharrell until this album.

Pharrell is somewhat big in the hip hop world.

Posted

doesn't make him any less terrible

Posted

doesn't make him any less terrible

missed my point

he's a decent singer, but sounds shitty here. 

Cirt likes this