Literature Superthread

84 posts in this topic

Posted

In case you're not 100% on what "literature" covers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literature

dkhAd7x.png

Discuss novels, poems, short stories, etc. Book stuff.

______

Made mainly because here's a neat site for Clarkesworld Magazine, where they publish a bunch of short stories online from every issue of the magazine (not sure if monthly or not). It's good.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/

______

Book-wise I wasn't very active before recently. In 2011 I read Animal Farm independently and that was it. Maybe half of A Clockwork Orange too maybe, though that might have been earlier. Latter half of last year around October, I started reading A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. That took me until January to read, and then I started on the book after that, The Tombs of Atuan. I finished that halfway through March, and, inspired by Psycho-Pass, I started reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, and finished a fortnight later, which is gladly the fastest I've read a book in years. That was nice. Day after, I started on A Game of Thrones, which of course I'm still reading now. I'll finish in about a year.

Now you know.

Posted

I've been a pretty heavy reader for...as long as I can remember, really. Unfortunately, a lot of my reading now is fanfiction. I don't regret it, but it means I haven't really expanded my circle of books for a good while.

Currently, I'm reading the Thrawn Trilogy (Star Wars) though. It's really good, and if the next few movies involve Thrawn at all I'll be really happy. I'm on the second book currently.

Posted

Currently I'm reading 'The history of jazz' by Ted Gioia, 'Selected poems' by E. E. Cummings, and 'Occupants' by Henry Rollins.

I'm especially enjoying Occupants. It's a collection of photographs Rollins took while travelling the world, accompanied by a page of text he feels is relevant. A lot of it is strikingly profound, but somewhat over the top at times. All the photos are amazing though. I'm definitely getting some of Rollins other books when I finish this.

Posted

I'm also currently reading the Song of ice and fire series. After that, I got this book called Hyperion for christmas I've been meaning to read

Posted

HYPERION

HYPERIOOOOOOOOOON

READ IT RIGHT NOW

Posted

HYPERION

HYPERIOOOOOOOOOON

READ IT RIGHT NOW

would you like to discuss what it is with us

and don't just link the wiki pls, biggest spoiler ever

Posted

Hyperion, huh? Guess I'll read that next then.

Posted (edited)

Well, it was something my very very well read friend recommended to me (He goes through ten books a month and retains everything he learns, he's crazy smart), and I was reading it over christmas break, and it's a really great science fiction novel. I guess I don't really want to go too far into it, mostly because I had to stop reading it 75% of the way through so I could get back to school work(but also because I don't want to spoil anything), but it's a very very good story worth reading. Necropolis, thank you for continuing to be somebody I can talk about my favorite stories with.

Edited by pheonix561 (see edit history)
Cirt likes this

Posted

Cool. Anyone ever read the Elric stories? They more or less introduced the idea of multiversal theory to popular fiction, back in the day

Posted

Currently Ive been reading One Piece and Superior Spider-Man and a few X-Men titles.

They good.

Posted

I bought a bunch of Thomas Ligotti's books a few weeks ago but haven't had the chance to read any.

I'm also reading the Justice League trade books

Oh, also I bought the Book of Human Insects by Osamu Tezuka because it looked really cute and didn't read backwards.

Posted

I bought a bunch of Thomas Ligotti's books a few weeks ago but haven't had the chance to read any.

I'm also reading the Justice League trade books

Oh, also I bought the Book of Human Insects by Osamu Tezuka because it looked really cute and didn't read backwards.

Whose run of Justice League?

Posted

Alert! Alert! A Game of Thrones has so much sex in it that it's pretty much 50 Shades of Grey toned down with a fantasy twist, replacing BDSM (or whatever 50 Shades had) with incest and 13 year olds. This is a grim realisation. It's 50 Shades of Grey for cool people.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Gotta love all that sexposition.

Posted

"Since opinions do not find in me a ready soil to thrust and spread their roots into, no premise shocks me, no belief hurts me, no matter how opposite to my own they may be. There is no idea so frivolous or odd which does not appear to me to be fittingly produced by the mind of man. Those of us who deprive our judgement of the right to pass sentence look gently on strange opinions; we may not lend them out approbation but we do readily lend them out ears."

"All such lunacies (which are believed among us) at least deserve to be heard. For me they only outweigh an empty scale, but outweigh it they do."

From On Friendship by Michel de Montaigne. He gets me.