Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ConsciousCoward AMA

25 posts in this topic

Posted

I think Philosophy strengthens my belief in God, yes. Thinking about big questions and learning about other schools of thought provides, at the very least, an interesting contrast to my own and a better understanding of other people. A good example of an interesting thing is a comparison of animistic beliefs to the Christian idea of "the life-giving breath of God." That's the kind of comparison I love thinking about.

I don't think of heresy in the same way as the Catholic Church. To me, the only true (or harmful) heresy is a rejection of an intrinsic part of Christianity, specifically something in the Apostle's or Nicean Creed. Non-Trinitarian sects, for example. I'm only intending to teach a heresy in that I'm rejecting the infallibility of a worldly organization, not the nature of the supernatural God, and so I don't consider that to be a real heresy.

Posted

Have you ever read The Inner Life by Thomas à Kempis? I haven't read it all the way through, but Book One: Councels on the Spiritual Life seemed like good religious philosophy (or whatever you'd call it), and I thought I'd mention it in case that's something that might interest you.

Posted

I have not, but I'll definitely put it on my list of things to read! I'm always looking for book recommendations, so it's much appreciated.

Posted

Why did you name yourself ConsciousCoward?

Posted

There were two reasons, really. It's taken from the "To be, or not to be" soliloquy in Hamlet, and I really loved the poetic wording. "Conscience does make cowards of us all." Beyond that, though, I feel like I frequently find myself responding as a coward, unable to do things requiring conflict or confrontation, so I am conscientious of my cowardice. This seemed the best way to twist those phrases into a good screen name.

Posted

man did you know you're an okay guy

Posted

DID YOU THOUGH?

Posted

Aww, you. You're too kind. Keep it up and you'll make me blush.

I like to think I'm pretty okay, though I definitely have moments that make me wonder!

pheonix561 likes this

Posted (edited)

So hows the college life treating you? Dorms and all that? Friends and parties and stuff?

Are you going to one of those really, really christian private schools where curfew is at six, men and women are absolutely not allowed in each other's dorms for any reason, and youtube is banned outright? You probably aren't, but wow those colleges are weird.

Edited by pheonix561 (see edit history)

Posted

Oh, my school is nothing like that. I'm at Texas A&M, which is one of the larger Texas public universities. I'm off campus this year, living with a friend of mine, but I was in the honors dorms last year and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I built up a pretty good, very solid friend group that has continued into this year, I have a girlfriend who is absolutely fantastic, and I'm really active in a few organizations. I do a lot of music, playing guitar in church from time to time and playing banjo whenever the opportunity arises. I don't really party, but that isn't to say my weekends and evenings aren't filled with enjoyment and activities. Like I said, I'm busy pretty much all the time, in the best way possible.

Basically, I'm having the time of my life. I'm happier and more confident than I've ever been before, and I love it. I can't really talk about the state of my life without discussing religion at least a little bit, so let me just say that I'm feeling more spiritually fed than ever before. Being active in Christian groups and having that fellowship in my life is something I missed a lot last year, when most of my friends were either agnostics or just didn't care too much about going to Church. I'm still friends with them, of course, and I love them dearly, but I needed people to help me with the religious aspects of my life.

I feel like I've attained some degree of continuous peace, which is tied into my faith. Call it blessed assurance, call it witness of the Spirit, or call it something else, it doesn't really bother me; I take peace in knowing that there is something better waiting. That peace is the most important thing I've learned this year.

Everything is good.