New 3DS Zelda Game Announced!

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Yo checkit: (Also here's the source article)

link_to_the_past_2_3ds.0_cinema_960.0.jp

Nintendo will release a new Legend of Zelda game for Nintendo 3DS based on the world of A Link to the Past later this year, the company announced today. A sequel to the Super NES original, the game will feature new mechanics, including the ability for Link to become a 2D drawing and move along walls.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, says the 3DS sequel will "reinvigorate the flat 2D world of A Link to the Past with a sense of height and volume" by utilizing the stereoscopic 3D capabilities of the Nintendo 3DS. The game, which does not have a final title in North America, will feature "an original storyline and all new dungeons."

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2, as the game is titled in Japan, will be released sometime this holiday in North America and next year in Japan.

A video of the game will be available to download from the Nintendo 3DS eShop later today.

Those of you who listened to the one and only Hnet Podcast: Remember how in it I was like "Hey I wouldn't be surprised if this means there's going to be an Lttp sequel?" And then everyone was like "nope pheo that's crazy there is no way" BUT THERE WAS A WAY AND IT WAS MY WAY I WAS RIGHT HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAA SUCK MY DICK

So anyways, it looks like Link will have the ability to "Become a 2D drawing and move along walls." To me, this sounds like Nintendo attempting to give the combat formula from Zelda 2 a chance (though I doubt the RPG elements will be present). Running around in a 3D world, probably still having 3D overworld battles like in the regular zelda handhelds we've all come to love, but sometimes going into sidescroller battles for one reason or another. Who knows? Come speculate here, and also hype, and discuss.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just found a video that shows link literally and specifically as a drawing on the wall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oaS9yBGbmU&feature=player_embedded

So forget what I said about possible zelda 2 elements. But what I think is a lot more interesting is Link's appearance. Looks like they went back to the oldschool big dirtyblond/orangey hair with big bands and dangly sideburns. That's really exciting to me, for some reason. I was just thinking the other day about how all the links look essentially the same, and while I know that's completely sensible and canon, I always like to see what they do with the latest designs for each of them. So I like that they're revisiting classic link I guess is what I'm saying.

PS: Cascade and I both made threads about this same topic within six minutes of each other which is why these posts exist but my thread WAS better until it was MERGED but whatever I'm not mad (I'm so mad)

Edited by Cascade (see edit history)

Posted

This is really rad. I'm excited.

Posted

But what I think is a lot more interesting is Link's appearance. Looks like they went back to the oldschool big dirtyblond/orangey hair with big bands and dangly sideburns.

i noticed this pretty early-on in the first video, too. i was like "wait, is that oldschool link?!" before reading the rest of cas's post. "it takes place in the world of LttP" and whatnot. so the old design makes sense, and i recognized some of the stuff (AHAHAHHAHAH RED AND BLUE SWITCHES, I REMEMBER YOUUUUUU) from older games, but it was still really disorienting, seeing that link mixed in with stuff i recognized more from newer games, or at least had been given (and retained in this video) updated looks that then made cameos in other games.

also bringing back that top-down look. its a bit more top-down than, like, ST or PH, i think.

based on the excessive jumping/look-im-changing-my-distance-to-the-screen, itll take place on the top screen, rather than ST/PHs bottom screen action. so were looking at button/joystick controls, and a layout probably similar to OoT3DS

Posted (edited)

Those of you who listened to the one and only Hnet Podcast: Remember how in it I was like "Hey I wouldn't be surprised if this means there's going to be an Lttp sequel?" And then everyone was like "nope pheo that's crazy there is no way" BUT THERE WAS A WAY AND IT WAS MY WAY I WAS RIGHT HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAA SUCK MY DICK

http://cdn.hyrule.net/downloads/Podcast/

http://cdn.hyrule.net/downloads/Podcast/1_-_Pols_Voice_-_Groosetosterone.mp3

If anyone is interested in listening to that.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)
pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Yeah they probably went back to the old design because, hey, it's probably the same Link from ALTTP.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

WHY NO PINK HAIR?!?

Arachne likes this

Posted

Yeah they probably went back to the old design because, hey, it's probably the same Link from ALTTP.

It takes place in the same world as ALTTP.

Posted

That would actually be really cool if that were the case, if you could go back to areas of the game that only the hero of the first game had been to and see all the signs of him having been there.

Posted

Arachne likes this

Posted

Yeah I saw this mentioned. I meant though, like, if you could go to one of the dungeons the hero originally went through, and see the whole dungeon, and it's all completely empty. No monsters, no puzzles to solve, all the treasure chests looted, and the dungeon boss room is completely still. I just thought that might be interesting is all.

Posted

Ah, seems like a bit of work to do to offer nothing but nostalgia for those who played the original. Maybe use them as some sort of puzzle, or something?

Arachne and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Pheo, that's an awful idea.