Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sonic: What went wrong

185 posts in this topic

Posted

Treemotan, yes, Unleashed had the best graphical design choices since SA2, and the daytime segments (though sparse as they were) were the most fun you would have in the game. If you played on the Wii like T1g and I did, you would quickly come to realize that life is hell with maracas. The nighttime segments were fairly asinine. Like all the aforementioned problems of switching to Knuckles in Heroes but it's most of the game, plus a dash of God of War. Sega's been riding Sonic forever now, also. It'd be nice if they ponied up and put out a new franchise. The last I remember they did Billy Hatcher, which was interesting if I recall.

brodongo the bongo

Necropolis, it wasn't that broken, though it was hilariously broken in some aspects. Like when you're climbing a wall as Knuckles or Rouge, sometimes you would jump but be unable to detach yourself from it. It's playable, it's just that everything about it is so monotonous, unstimulating, and uncomfortable. Though don't get me wrong, falling through the floor is certainly possible, but it needs the overpowered abilities of Silver the Hedgehog. Like sure, I would call how monotonous and grueling they made the game pretty spirit-breaking, but the broken aspects were more up to how much you wanted to break the game.

It's funny you say that, EDA, because they're pretty much going through every single stage of despair that T1g, pheo and I went through, and even made a lot of the same jokes.

Treemotan likes this

Posted

Mario, Zelda and Metroid all successfully breached the 3d threshhold, so why didn't sonic? Adventure was deceny. Adventure 2 was better. Then it waa just one after the other worse and worse. I've heard colors and generations are pretty good, so its nice to hear things are on an upswing. What do you guys think lead sonic to crash and burn like it did.

generations is puppying awesome

DR SHRUBBERY! likes this

Posted

The last game I had played for a long while was Heroes. 2D Sonic made up a fair portion of my childhood, with time spent wishing I had a Genesis, looking forward to trips to my cousins' to play it for 10 minutes if I could, reading the comic series, and watching Sonic Satam (mainly rented VHS). 3D Sonic was good times in highschool as well, always on GC, getting through the single-player and arguing over who would play as Metal Sonic in multi-player. Very good times had. I even enjoyed Heroes, particularly playing as Espio / The Chaotix, but it was definitely a dry, tedious game that hinted on where the next generation of the series would go.

'06 just wasn't polished. Even in '99 with the Dreamcast, Sega's testing period always seemed less intensive than it should have been. They cut corners everywhere. If they had as thorough a setup as Nintendo did when the GC rolled around, they might even still be in the console market. At least now they're settling in a niche, even if it's not as it was in their good years.

Posted

If there's one thing that's been consistently good throughout the whole run of the series, it's the music, yeah? I've always enjoyed listening to those ear worms whenever I play one of the many Sonic games out there.

Posted

Sonic '06 had some pretty ehh music compared to the iconic themes in the other games, (maybe because of what it was set against?) but yeah, I do agree that their music has been pretty good over the years. I think Generations took '06's theme and made  it super coolio or something. The cool thing about Generations is that it doesn't even really seem like it's apologizing for anything. As if it's pretending that Sonic games were always this awesome.

T1g likes this

Posted

and the best part about the game is replaying the levels so you can do it faster the next time

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

whats up with the sonic fans tho

they seem to be next level weird as puppy

Posted

I tend to group Sonic and Megaman fans together, since they both tend to mainly focus on superfluous character designs and have oddly homogeneous personalities. Sonic being on a lower rung, with a slight layer of autism. I wonder if Sonic '06 is how furries feel IRL. Its drastically contrasting human characters made it extremely apparent that you're a cartoon hedgehog. Maybe Sonic furries feel trapped in a furry body, unable to join humans in society, and the clunky controls represents how unnatural their half-human, not-enough-furry bodies feel to them.

I am putting more thought into it than the developers.

LLmao ?✊?, T1g, Brodongo and 1 other like this

Posted

I dunno about putting Sonic and Megaman fans together really. I've never really experienced obnoxious as hell Megaman fans any more than any other fandoms.

Posted

I came from a spriting community, so I encountered both a lot. They each liked to make recolors from their respective fandoms and generally had similar personalities. (Not that I'm saying all of them are alike, just saying that they tend to have similarities)

Posted

I tend to group Sonic and Megaman fans together, since they both tend to mainly focus on superfluous character designs and have oddly homogeneous personalities. Sonic being on a lower rung, with a slight layer of autism. I wonder if Sonic '06 is how furries feel IRL. Its drastically contrasting human characters made it extremely apparent that you're a cartoon hedgehog. Maybe Sonic furries feel trapped in a furry body, unable to join humans in society, and the clunky controls represents how unnatural their half-human, not-enough-furry bodies feel to them.

I am putting more thought into it than the developers.

This is one of the things that makes Sonic 06's story hard to take...seriously? All the people with normal proportions, as opposed to the occasional cartoony person in past games just felt...jarring. And those romantic undertones between a cartoon hedgehog and a teenaged girl. Very uncomfortable

Arachne likes this

Posted

Also that the realistically proportioned people would talk to you as if you were their height, and their lips would flap uselessly as they waved their arms around. At least, in the city segments. The story was already kind of a broken mess to begin with, and no, the romance wasn't an undertone. It became quite clear near the end of the game, but then they pretty much did a 180 and said that none of anything even happened. You should really pick up the game and play it, just for the experience. You can literally buy a copy for like 5 dollars online.

Thinking about the city hub, I wonder if they could have just omitted it, and if pictures of it would have cropped up later, the developers commenting about how they're glad they scrapped the idea to work on more important things, even if the game turned out bad. Then we'd all see it and have a good laugh... hah... hah...

Posted

I played it when it first came out. Beat the Sonic and Shadow sections, but never did the silver one past, like..30%?

Every once in a while I go back and play Sonic adventure dx, lost my copy of 2. I know 2 is objectively better, but the story, and the way each characters campaign fits together is great. I think I might like it a bit better than 2.

Posted

2's Chao Garden was better, so that makes 2 better by default. 

Posted

Wait

there were parts of the game that weren't the Chao Garden?

And City Escape?