Steven Universe

220 posts in this topic

Posted

tumblr_mn6m5plEZE1qhjcclo1_1280.jpg

So Rebecca Sugar (of Adventure Time) is getting her own cartoon on CN soon. It's called Steven Universe and omg I'm totally in love with it after just the Pilot. This concept is better than Adventure Time imo. Still to early to see if the show is better, but it'll diffenitly rival AT and Regular Show for sure.

here is the pilot.

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/cartoon-network-shorts/video/steven-universe-clip.html

wut do you guys think?

stevenuniverse-580x871.jpg

Posted

Looks "sweet" ;)

Posted

HEYO

Posted

I hear the argument a lot that this show is way too similar to Adventure Time. Thoughts?

Posted

Well, Rebecca Sugar DID work on Adventure Time. So yeah, I mean you can tell it has influences of AT. But no, I feel like this show can and will stand on it's own.

Posted

Posted

I started watching this show because Kaffles said I should.

It has so many references, you wouldn't believe.

These aren't really spoilers since they're so out of context, but look at this. I didn't screencap the N64 Steven had in his room because it is literally one of the first things you see in the series, but it was there too. I think there was also an allusion to Akira early on. There are a lot of Japon media references. At one point a girl says itadakimasu before eating. It's a cute show.

SukLcsb.png

xjaxMNz.png

vnxNAfQ.png

ld9xpTQ.png

I always knew this thing was inspired in part by Sailor Moon.

H5OtMUv.png

AND LOOK AT THIS SHIT.

IT EVEN PLAYS A PIANO VERSION OF THE MAIN THEME WHILE THEY'RE CLAPPING, THIS IS RIDICULOUS IN THE BEST WAY.

It took me awhile to warm up to this thing completely but now I'm really enjoying myself. It's also in fifteen minute episodes, which helps. And dear jesus for a show meant for kids there is like 500% sexual tension at times later in the series, and contains a lot of innuendos and I think I just saw an actual allusion to a sex scandal??? It gets pretty real sometimes. It's neat.

Posted

wow actually this show got pretty dang real and by real i mean consequential, and also i'm glad this is even on kid's television

Posted

Are you saying I need to watch it because sometimes I feel like eka is devoting her entire tumblr account to make me watch things

Posted

Yeah sho thang. It's like at 56 episodes of 15 minute episodes so it's practically a standard season. It has a lot of feels going on sometimes. Like sometimes it gets way too heavy man...

Posted

Forever my fav reference in SU is the fact Steven has a goddamn Sanic figurine

bae.png

Sahaqiel and Cascade like this

Posted

I immediately screencapped that and sent it to Kaffles when I saw it.

Teto likes this

Posted

I always like it when a TV series develops into something more rich and complex, and then references something from an earlier episode which highlights the naivety of the earlier days. In the earlier episodes of Steven Universe it was just a cute show about a bunch of super powered women and a kid they were training up.

Red_Eye_transparent.png

In episode 2, Laser Light Cannon, Steven and the gems fight the Red Eye, a big ball in the air that just stares at Beach City. At the time it seemed benign and strange, and just a little plot to further establish the gem's position as protectors of the earth from magical creatures of all varieties.

Then later, in the episode Marble Madness, where they reveal themselves to Peridot, you get "A gem?! More?! But the Red Eye didn't report the presence of any gems on this planet!" to which Pearl replies "That's because we destroyed it!", suddenly giving a lot more significance to that very early episode, where everything seemed simple and benign. In that way the show really does mature, as the innocent and unassuming nature of the show as it was in the beginning is stripped away to show the depth going on all the while.

Cascade and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Yeah the forethought they put into it was great. A lot of stuff you just assumed was silly fluff turns out important, and they take their time revealing stuff despite leaving clues in places.

Posted

There's an "Official" AU of Steven Universe where all the characters are in a japanese highschool anime thing.

Steven is a teacher,and  Lapis and Peridot chill together whenever they can, both of which are adorable. I'm not sure who at CN is drawing these, but I'm preeeettty sure it's somebody who actually works on the show and does them as Promo Art for every episode:

guBy8tL.jpg

B11FsJW.jpg

6SIh6Dw.jpg

CO2VaIp.jpg

oJLnFku.jpg

Also, I have seen every episode.

Teto and Pizzza like this