Steven Universe

220 posts in this topic

Posted

Speculation & hopes for the future

I was looking ahead at future episodes of Steven Universe. Next week there's the episode Reformed, and then, air date listed as TBA, three more episodes; a two-parter with Ronaldo called Rising Tides/Crashing Skies, and Sworn to the Sword.

The Ronaldo episodes are about Ronaldo investigating whether the gems are safe for Beach City, and I imagine the names are references to Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem for Rising Tides, and The Return/Jailbreak for Crashing Skies. That's be a reasonable assumption to make. This one will be the third 2-part episode in the series so far, so I look forward to it.

Sworn to the Sword interests me a lot more though. Connie is going to start sword training with Pearl. It reminds me of Lion 2 where she speaks about taking tennis lessons and jokes about the move "Overhead death strike!"

Steven's not really showed much progress in offensive training from what I remember, and his talents so far have been in using his shield and his bubble to defend, as well as healing and being a good motivator. If Connie was to take up the offensive, their fusion could be a really good balance between the two talents.

It'd also be satisfying to see Connie get some of the "magical destiny" that she envies of Steven.

Also wonder what the gems have to do with Earth in this, and how their influence still stays. Humans were around during the gem war that the current gems are remnants of, so there was a time when gems were properly recognised. Alongside that there's a diamond on the dollar, and one of Jasper's higher ups was called Yellow Diamond. Rose Quartz also had a giant penny in her armory, which seems odd and out of place, but seems like it'll have some relevance or explanation at some point.

fqnAOSy.png

J9IVYRN.png

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Okay so I meant to post this fan theory stemming from S2E05, even though it's hardly a theory and also not really important to the plot:

Vidalia is Sour Cream's mother, and Sour Cream is the bastard son of Marty. I mean her head is fucking shaped like an onion and her name is vidalia, which is a type of onion. This should be obvious.

3eV5CYC.jpg

There. She raised Sour Cream on her own for a while until she met onion's dad, then they had onion together. Sour Cream and Onion both lash out because their family isn't around all the time to watch them or whatever.

I'm more interested by this because it actually gives us a time frame for the amount of time that passed between Greg meeting Rose and Steven being born. If Sour Cream is ~18 and Steven is ~12, then they spent about six years together. Obviously that number changes based on how long either of them was actually pregnant for, and what their ages actually are, but that's about it. Timeframe for the events that happened between rose meeting greg and steven being born. There you have it.

Speculation & hopes for the future

Yeah, I've been thinking about how the world must be shaped in SU land lately. I mean it's clearly not the same as typical earth. When Wirt wanted to go be an actor, where did he go? Kansas. Why Kansas and not hollywood? It's the kind of thing I'm sure they'll never perfectly answer but just hint at every now and then.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************sidebar preview spoiler prevention fluff*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

or maybe... marty IS ALSO onion's dad

actually I started typing up other stuff and I realized that sour cream's dad wants him to become a fisherman rather than a DJ

I guess that checks out if Sour Cream stayed with Vidalia after Marty left her a single mom. Maybe he died. ~who knows~ But yeah sounds pretty solid. The show has a lot of representation of different demographics. Single mothers having kids with multiple on screen characters sounds like something they'd do.

Same @Teto, I really want Connie to do cool stuff, she's the cutest goshdanged thing in the show.

Also I'm pretty sure this is obvious but the mail lady is totally Sadie's mom. They're both cuties too.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

mb1XPSx.jpg

VYG0pui.jpg

Posted

would you respond to me for once gosh dangit, what is that even, I don't even remember where the top screenshot is from

Posted

There wasn't much to respond to??? I thought I liked your post because I just agreed with basically everything you said, but I scrolled up and realized I forgot to actually do that, sorry. "I agree with what you said in your post about Sadie's mom and the Onions."

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

cute as butts, this series

Posted

Ok I am 3 episodes in and Garnet is the best character forever

Pizzza likes this

Posted

i pulled t1g into this

there's no turning back

Posted

guys this show is everything i wanted as a kid but didnt get to have. Its like american cartoons are actually getting their shit together or something

Teto and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

oh oh oh i'm marathoning the series again with T1g and he picked up something I totally missed about the sour cream thing (don't read yet t1g)

ok everyone in the universe may have caught it but me but Sour Cream referenced his

stepdad as being like "mamamamama" like talking like Onion's dad talks so it's p. much confirmed that Oniondad is taking care of both of them and Vidalia is probably 100% the mother and literally conceived sour cream during the Mr. Universe concert right before he opened the van this series has so many nice details

Teto and T1g like this

Posted

You're welcome B|

Posted

Just finished season one. It was okay I suppose. They should've introduced Perdiot and Jasper sooner, they're cool.

Figures they'd make MY birthstone correspond with the most interesting character :D

Posted

I'm kind of mad that this show is appropriating crystal culture

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

what do you mean by that