Steven Universe

220 posts in this topic

Posted

no

Pizzza likes this

Posted

Aiden also asked me if Lapis was going to get bit by sharks when Malachite was dragged to the bottom of the ocean in chains

Teto, Knuckle, pheonix561 and 1 other like this

Posted

Sharks are cool.

Pizzza, T1g and Knuckle like this

Posted

obviously

SilverAlchemic and Teto like this

Posted

i also have that Steven Universe book thing. Havent read much of it yet. Mostly bought it because.

Posted

Mostly bought it because.

What a cliffhanger. It's a shame each of your posts is only 11 minutes long. I can't stand the anticipation, waiting a week to find out why.

Posted

speaking of, next week is most likely going to be about Peridot learning to accept garnet as a person

there was so much homophobic vibes coming from the way Peridot talked about fusion they were not subtle about it at all

SilverAlchemic and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Apparently we're on hiatus now until 2016, according to like, rumors and stuff. We'll see.

Posted

I think the head writer guy confirmed it on his twitter, and later deleted the tweet. But he said CN lets it's cartoonmakers take the holidays off, since they work through the summer and all that. So no more new cartoons for a few months since they'll be resting at home.

Posted

Well not necessarily. I was reading up and apparently Steven Universe has been in production through winter the last two years, so it'd make sense that they'd allow them to take one off. We'll just do with other cartoons.

Posted

Yeah. I don't pretend to understand how CN runs its network or studios, I just know that occasionally we can expect there to be time off from new episodes rather than having them year round.

I just watched the new episode and was talking with cascade about it. Aside from the blatant homophobia vibes from peridot to garnet, I thought it was interesting how they made it pretty clear shes an aspergers representation. It was pretty smart how they did it, first introducing her as a capable smart character to be feared, then as a dorky nerd you couldn't help but love, THEN as the aspergers character. So kids already love them when they find out peridot has her condition, and think "hey maybe aspergers isn't what 4chan makes it out to be."

Pizzza likes this

Posted

tumblr_nwajik561l1uzuqqio1_540.gif

Teto and pheonix561 like this

Posted

I didn't consider anything Peridot said about Garnet to be homophobic at all. Just very anti-relationship or anti-dependability on others. It's not like she, or any other home world gems, are out fusing with male gems. Garnet is good LGBT representation from a human perspective, but ultimately the idea of gender is lost upon the Gem race. Fusion isn't sex. It isn't a relationship in itself either. It has aspects of those, and can be compared to them. But ultimately it is a concept much, much more complex in nature. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, from Peridot's point of view it's like if someone was walking around in a suit of armor like "this is just how I dress".

But I still think, from Garnet's reaction, they play it like a commentary on homophobia. You could frame it as Peridot's dislike of 'alternative lifestyles'. She doesn't understand how to function outside of a strictly organised society.

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)
Pizzza likes this

Posted

That makes sense, yeah. But in that case, "homophobia" is much to narrow of a concept. "Alternative Lifestyles" can include anything from being gay or trans* to be Muslim or even a priest, etc. Depending on the audience's society, alternative can be almost anything.