Steven Universe

220 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah I did the same and then it turned out the Steven Bomb didn't get followed up by regular episodes. Hope you have better luck than me :x

Glad you liked season one though.

Posted

Seems like it's the default format to release 5 episodes in a single week every month or two. I guess the ratings for the stevenbomb format must be good enough that they want to release the show this way.

Posted

I REALLY want a Jasper action figure. Or even just an immobile statue or mini fig.

T1g and Knuckle like this

Posted

Well, I'm caught up now. And I have to wait....forever........

Looked up an episode list. Surprised we aren't even half way through season 2

Posted

Is this really worth watching? I've seen the fanbase, and I'm super turned off just because of them. I'm sure the show is great or whatever, but the shitty, disgusting, obsessive fanbase has ruined yet another show. It's happened with Korra, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls. I just can't get into these shows because people ruin them. Is it worth wading through the shitstream just for this show?

Posted

Listen, one of the things that you will learn eventually is how to appreciate something on its own merits, regardless of what some mob of scrubs on Tumblr has to say about it.

Your life gets waaaaaaaaaaay better when that happens

SilverAlchemic and Teto like this

Posted (edited)

The shitstream? I've never found the fanbase to be very obnoxious, but then I did start watching the show back when it was an unassuming story about some kid and his alien friends. I expected nothing, and started it out of blind interest without expecting much.

I'll speak a little from personal experience here.

I think the most important thing is to keep an open mind. It's an easy thing to say, and a hard thing to take to heart. Like, give up on your ego. The fans' enthusiasm is so unashamed that it can be embarrassing to look at; like someone openly and honestly admitting their fragile feelings. Instinctively you look away, because so much raw emotion is hard to stomach. And imagining yourself like that, preemptively makes you feel uncomfortable. Like, you don't want to be like them. In a way you can't even imagine being like them. Like, you're seeing the show as a chance to connect with a lot of enthusiastic people, but you can already feel the rejection, because you know you could never be so unashamedly enthusiastic. You could try and be a part of this, but you can't. Not really. You're not like them. For me, looking at fanbases just bring up all my alienation and fear of rejection.

And then there's an element of self-image. We grow up criticising and shaping ourselves with the voices of our parents and friends. Whenever I laugh in a stupid way, I feel my sister rolling her eyes. Whenever I'm quiet I feel my mother nudging me to engage with other people. You carry those voices around with you, and they continue to influence you. You spend a lot of time allowing those people to shape and restrain who you are, and all those mixed up feelings limit who you allow yourself to be. I don't dance, because I can still feel the pestering and ridicule I faced in PE. Telling jokes makes me panic, because I remember how fluently my dad tells them. But in your alone time, you can let that mask slip a little. You can edge closer and closer toward enjoying a sentimental song, or opening your heart to a childish cartoon. You can give up on the idea that you're too old for something, or too mature for something, or too cool for something. You can take away all the restraints of your oppressive self image of 'who you want to be' or 'who you should be', and just let yourself enjoy something.

That's what can ruin creating art as well; the desire for achievement. I so often don't draw because I hate what I make, and it's more comfortable to just not try at all and not have my self image challenged. I need to get over that. It's a self acceptance thing.

I also feel like these are things 16 year olds talk about figuring out, but I'll just have to get over that won't I? I figured it out when I was almost 22, and that's my deal.

This turned into more than a thing about Steven Universe. I don't know where I was going with it. Like, don't let your ego get in the way of enjoying something? Watch the show without judging yourself for it? Don't feel like you're doing it in order to connect with other people; it doesn't work like that. The result can't be the goal, or else you wont enjoy the journey, and you wont achieve what you set out to achieve. If you watch it, it's got to be about the show, and not the fanbase you're buying into.

Listen, one of the things that you will learn eventually is how to appreciate something on its own merits, regardless of what some mob of scrubs on Tumblr has to say about it.

Your life gets waaaaaaaaaaay better when that happens

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)
T1g likes this

Posted

Is this really worth watching? I've seen the fanbase, and I'm super turned off just because of them. I'm sure the show is great or whatever, but the shitty, disgusting, obsessive fanbase has ruined yet another show. It's happened with Korra, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls. I just can't get into these shows because people ruin them. Is it worth wading through the shitstream just for this show?

Cassandra likes this

Posted

Teto you hit hte nail on the head pretty much. No one is asking you to go talk to a bunch of squealing fans that you don't want to  talk to. You could watch Steven Universe and then talk to US about it. Though there still might be some squealing and at the moment I have the sneaking suspicion that someone here is shipping Lapis Lazuli with Jasper which is the WORST. Jasper clearly has eyes for Renaldo!

Posted

...Me?

Posted

I KNEW IT

Posted

But I'm not shipping those two...

I just really like Jasper...

Its like if Ken Ishikawa made a Gem. If anything I think Jasper would pursue Steven. She had a hateboner for Rose Quartz, and Steven is the next best thing

Posted

tumblr_inline_ntk9r38RjD1r22bgo_540.png

tumblr_inline_ntkcb3Xjt81r22bgo_540.png

tumblr_inline_ntkcyi4IsM1r22bgo_540.png

tumblr_inline_ntkcicZaRG1r22bgo_540.png

"Jasper was short and is not sure how to feel about that"

Posted

YOU.png

God, theres so much good Jasper art. Maybe just because she has such a good design, but heres another one

Suicide pact.png

YOU.thumb.png.cb932e126e9ff85bb0c9b421f7

Suicide_pact.thumb.png.426a8502c7d4f7ed4

Posted

I started watching SU at Onion Friend, on the recommendation of Skyler. Makes me a little smug, honestly.