Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

This makes me unreasonably mad.

28 posts in this topic

Posted

To begin with, this is the article that I got the video from.

Maybe I should just be ignoring this in the first place because it came out of Fox News, but I cannot comprehend how anyone can hold these sexist, antiquated values and still have a spot on TV. Like its not even an issue of political correctness at this point, they might as well be telling women to stay in the kitchen lest they upset the "balance of our society". This is something you'd expect to hear about 60 or 70 years ago and laugh at how old-fashioned they are.

And I have no idea if what they said about 75% of the study agreeing with them was true, but if so, then what the puppy is going on? Did the survey just not ask any women, or do that many people still think that an entire 50% of the population should stay at home and not be allowed to work?

PrimaGaga, pheonix561 and Padraig! like this

Posted

Keep in mind this video comes from Media Matters, and I can't help but wonder just what kind of context is being cut out here. Whatever issue was being discussed before the study was brought up is conveniently absent from the clip, which also ends rather abruptly.

In fact, Media Matters has a history of omitting context. One example:

Let’s end the week with some Shirley Sherrod-ing – editing a clip to make it sound like a person is saying something that is actually the complete opposite of what they’re saying.

In this case, the offender is Media Matters, which tries to prove that Glenn Beck’s radio co-hosts were saying Keith Olbermann was responsible for the deadly Manchester workplace shooting.

Here was Media Matters’ (sic’ed) headline: “Beck sidekicks Gray and Burguiere: Keith Olberman and media responsible for Manchester shooting.”

The sidekicks are Pat Gray and Stu Burguiere, who co-hosted with Beck out today. And why did Media Matters write this? Well, because that is what Gray and Burguiere said – at first. Gray: “Obviously Keith Olbermann is responsible for those eight people dead.”

And Burguiere: “A guy like that who’s a little bit unstable anyway can’t help but react to the constant pressure of Keith Olbermann on the air on MSNBC and all of MSNBC talking about all the racism there is out there.”

But the problem is, the co-hosts were being sarcastic, to make a point. A minute later they get serious, and Stu says “Keith Olbermann was not responsible for any shooting,” but that part is conveniently out of the Media Matters audio. Because Media Matters cut the audio right before they make it clear.

Media Matters issued a correction and altered the title when their attempted Sherrodding of Beck’s people was discovered:

CORRECTION: The original headline on this clip did not make clear that Beck’s co-hosts were being satirical when they linked MSNBC host Keith Olbermann to the Manchester shooting. The original clip also did not include their subsequent statements that Olbermann was not responsible for the shooting. Media Matters regrets the error.

Source: http://michellemalkin.com/2010/08/07/media-matters-caught-context-editing-a-tape-where-have-we-heard-that-before/

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

What annoys me is that someone reported that 1/4 of women are breadwinners in the first place. That's not news.

Posted

oh no are women providing for their families

Posted

No, this isn't te first time Fox has freaked out over gender roles becoming blurred. Actually, one time I sat down to eat at a McDonald's where they have big flat-screen televisions, and there were two women speakers, and like three male speakers, and they were like "So what's the topic today?" and someone brought up this magazine article about how "traditional" (1950 - 1959) gender roles are being challenged, and how women are working and men are taking care of the children. They actually said that this was just a ploy for attention, that they were reaching for "the most controversial subject" to garner attention. I was like, what. This isn't controversial at all. It's factual and not even an issue. The guy actually said on the air, that a man's job in the household is to not get in the way when the woman is cleaning and watch the game on TV.

I had to read all this in the subtitles, but I was looking at their mouths too. The one typing the captions snuck in something at the end of the aforementioned sentence: ", for a caveman, that is." It was great. The two women reporters were visibly offended too. I mean, the guy was criticizing what they were doing right that second. Goodness. If we're really talking traditional, you could easily bring up that labor used to mostly be in farming. That men and women both worked the fields and that whoever was around to change the diaper changed the diaper. And that women worked factory jobs during World War II  and pretty much set the basis for all the programming languages we use today.

But yeah don't let this get to you. This generation of people will hopefully die out. The best thing we can do without dedicated campaigning is to just make sure we raise a generation that knows better, and it's getting closer to that point every day.

DR SHRUBBERY! likes this

Posted

Every generation will die out lol

I don't think it's a matter of teaching. Things will run their course and children will passively learn from their parents.

Posted

Er, rather than generation, I meant the widespread mentality. There'll always be people who adhere to these beliefs, but as for actually being taken seriously by more than a handful of people, that won't last forever. I wasn't intentionally condemning their collective generations. `~` But it is necessary that things like this stop becoming an issue in media. I really want to ask him, like, doctors, engineers, scientists, astronauts; some of those people are somehow messing the US up because they're women? I wonder if these people actually think about what they're talking about.

Also, raise the kids to know better etc. Though I do agree that kids can be pretty smart on their own, I learned a lot from my mom. So I'd say that it's important to at least have kids recognize that it's better to be tolerant and to think critically based on actual data. It's so frustrating seeing people on television who say these things with such diction without actually backing any of it up with facts or counterarguments. They argue tradition and state their opinions as facts. I wonder if someone could actually hold a debate with any of these men.

Posted

I found a follow up video

Posted

It's fun to make yourself mad

Posted

This guys name is Erick Erickson. Can we just take a moment and reflect on that.

Posted

To begin with, this is the article that I got the video from.

Maybe I should just be ignoring this in the first place because it came out of Fox News, but I cannot comprehend how anyone can hold these sexist, antiquated values and still have a spot on TV. Like its not even an issue of political correctness at this point, they might as well be telling women to stay in the kitchen lest they upset the "balance of our society". This is something you'd expect to hear about 60 or 70 years ago and laugh at how old-fashioned they are.

And I have no idea if what they said about 75% of the study agreeing with them was true, but if so, then what the puppy is going on? Did the survey just not ask any women, or do that many people still think that an entire 50% of the population should stay at home and not be allowed to work?

i hope their generation dies very swiftly 

im also very glad that the media here isn't anything like fox because i'd never turn on the tv. the thought of many people watching that and thinking "oh man i totally agree" makes me angry. euugh.

Posted

Well, if you watch the follow up video i posted, even Fox doesn't take Fox's bullshit this time. When she brought up Obama, I was like "Z snap bitches!!" especially since she was using him as a positive example. I unno. I just loved how she tore them apart. 

Posted

i hope their generation dies very swiftly 

im also very glad that the media here isn't anything like fox because i'd never turn on the tv. the thought of many people watching that and thinking "oh man i totally agree" makes me angry. euugh.

I think that's the part that I get most upset about, that its not just this panel of people that agrees with him but a sizable chunk of his audience.

Posted

As much of a case she makes for herself, it would have been better if she let them finish, if only Lou didn't talk so long trying to get back into more arguable territory. I guess because of time constraints it was more necessary that she interrupt them to get her points across. I would have liked it to be a longer debate, because the interracial marriage thing seemed kind of out of place, because there wasn't enough emphasis on the fact that Erick is not a scientist, nor did he do any studies or gather data on his own, and that he supposedly only looked at one study [from Texas, oddly (no offense LL)] that lesbian households are just as stable as heterosexual ones. He just made an assumption that fits with his beliefs and claimed science backed it up.

I also think they're using the word "feminist" wrong. Like, with the whole negative connotation that media tends to give us of feminists. And "emoliberal", what. It's like there's no point in having words that describe things, because someone is going to make them meaningless and derogatory regardless of what they actually mean.

Posted

I think they just don't want women to be cool like Madoka's mom