Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game Of Thrones[SPOILERS]: The "Not the Books" Thread WITH HUGE SPOILERS

157 posts in this topic

Posted

Next episode being Oathkeeper, I hope that they try to move along on Jaime's character arc. I was really hoping This season would be roughly 3/4ths book 3 and 1/4th combined Book 4-5 scenes, but it looks like they just want to finish book 3. That means it'll be a few weeks before non stop HOLY SHIT episodes.

Posted

Even knowing when good stuff does or doesn't happen is a spoiler in itself, so shh ;o

(I, a cultured book reader like yourself, sympathise with your excitement for whatever happens whenever it happens, but let's team up to make sure we don't cultivate expectations among uncultured non book readers)

Posted

I have rather loose definitions of what a spoiler is, deaths or betrayals basically, but I gotcha

Posted

Hey man. Remember it this way. If you loosen up your definition of spoiler in game of thrones for me, I'm gonna loosen up your butthole for you. Comprende?

I'm gonna feed you endless taco bell, that's the joke

Posted

oh my :o

Posted

Yeah I dunno, sometimes expectations in general can effect how you watch something. Like some of my best experiences playing games or watching movies have been when I had no idea what it was even about. Like when I bought Remember Me for £2.50 without reading the back, or when I bought Summer Wars on DVD without looking up anything about it, basing my purchase on high ratings alone. Also everybody knew that Sword Art Online was about a bunch of people who get stuck in an MMO universe because that was in the synopsis, but I didn't know it so the twist at the end of the first episode was an exciting surprise.

A Feast for Crows, Game of Thrones book 4, Game of Thrones season 5 spoiler, for book-readers only:

After the back of Feast for Crows said that Samwell Tarly was going off to become a maester, I got pissed off a little because you wouldn't have been able to predict that happening from the end of book 3, but it immediately confirmed what could have been a surprising plot element introduced near the start of the book, but instead I get it thrown at me from the blurb. So that annoyed me. And that's the blurb of the book spoiling the contents of the book.

It's good to be surprised instead of building up in your head what you expect to see. Like when I found out that 'something big happens in the Red Wedding' I was reading up to it with some expectation. I already knew that somebody died, but I didn't know who, and I spent the while wondering how and who it would happen to. Making the most of having it spoiled by treating it like a Romeo and Juliet kind of thing where you already know they die from the start of the book.

If I had read or watched Game of Thrones with no knowledge of the Red Wedding at all, it'd have been a better experience getting to it. Even knowing that there was a big event when the wedding came around would have made me start wondering.

Saying 'the last episodes are brilliant' isn't quite so much of a spoiler, because people can assume that, but having it confirmed by someone who knows what's going on more properly gets you to start looking for early clues of what's coming up.

I kind of obsess over the little details in that respect. I try not to say anything about anything that happens anymore, for fear of being a killjoy. But hey, I'm not saying you're a killjoy; I'm just forcing my ideology on you like an asshole and expecting you to comply. I would have said the same very recently, but just thinking about it lately since the start of season 4, I resolved not to let anything slip, because anything I say is planted into the minds of others, and it can effect the way they watch the show in the future. Any expectation is a bad expectation when it comes to entertainment, imo.

You always see people complaining about popular things, and that's because those things are over-hyped in how much people try to exaggerate your expectations of something and try to make you enjoy it. And if it doesn't meet those expectations, you will be disappointed and bitter. Likewise if you watched something in a bad mood, you will probably think of it more harshly next time as well. You expect to hate it, and so you hate it. You find things to pick at. It's not good having expectations of how you will react or what will happen, because you can never be sure that they'll be met. Complete uncertainty is best.

Posted

Hey man. Remember it this way. If you loosen up your definition of spoiler in game of thrones for me, I'm gonna loosen up your butthole for you. Comprende?

I'm gonna feed you endless taco bell, that's the joke

YOU'LL HAVE TO FIND ME FIRST AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.

Oh, and back to the spoiler thing. Just plot elements that are going to happen doesn't seem to spoil much to me. Likewise, knowing crazy shit is going to happen without context cqn make the actual crazy shit crazier, cause you were may have been looking in the wrong places. Like, I think the whole point of the concept of "Spoilers" is that you want to have the maximum emotional response when something happens. So, to me at least, spoiling something is telling someone about something major and emotionally provocative.

pheonix561, Teto and Agent Zako like this

Posted

Yeah, I'm being too critical about it really, but there is a difference between the way you and I enjoy to experience thing I guess. I prefer not knowing anything, where you don't mind knowing something if it can lend to the suspense. Both are fine ways to experience something though, because the whole "when's it going to happen" suspense is quite good sometimes.

My example of my Red Wedding thing isn't a very good example because that was a pretty specific time for it to happen, whereas "episode 9 will surprise you" is a pretty mild expectation. Like, maybe the red wedding wouldn't have been so suspenseful if I hadn't known something was coming, and the mood shift would have left me confused and terrified instead. Trade out one thrill for another I guess. You can only choose one, and both are about as valuable as each other.

You'll notice that my opinion changed through the course of this post. I'm fine with either experience and have no preference. They both have merits.

Posted

Yeah I dunno, sometimes expectations in general can effect how you watch something. Like some of my best experiences playing games or watching movies have been when I had no idea what it was even about.

Yeah, I try to do this as much as possible. Even the tiniest detail is letting on too much. Like, I just download any anime that looks pretty that I see on /a/ without knowing anything about it. No genre, no synopsis, no explanations of anything. Same with the currently airing anime, for the most part. But I can't really avoid those spoilers as easily as more talked about and less popular series.

Although, I have a bad habbit of just leaving things sit on my computer/external. I really need to get on all of this shit I've downloaded so I can actually talk about it with people or just have something new to adore and love. I have it all at my disposal, but I just let it sit.

And, yeah, new Game of Thrones episode was pretty banana and Necro, saying things are TOTALLY GONNA HAPPEN OMG HEH HEH *THUMBS UP* is defs a spoiler. Not trying to pibble over it, but still. Maybe Teto and I are just pibblers ourselves. Teto, we should talk more. Maybe you're the one that will appreciate my chill music...

Oh, I read Teto's above post and he disagreed with himself, so I'm just the lone pibbler, then. HEH.

Posted

Nah I don't really disagree with myself, but can just see that while my first instinct is to go with no expectations, I have had times where having a vague expectation has added to the experience. Not sure which I prefer though, I just want to try to make something out of whatever circumstance.

You can send me tunes too.

Posted

Also, white walkers in S04E04:

That one took me by surprise. As it turns out when I went back to look in the book, the whole white walkers making babies into white walkers was actually hinted at. I'm not sure how clear it was in the books that crasters sons were taken away by white walkers, but in the mutiny at craster's keep, Gilly begs Sam to take her with him, and the older women say that "Craster's sons" will be coming to get Gilly's baby. Understanding that the babies are given to white walkers, and then having the white walkers referred to as "Craster's sons" just makes it a case of putting 2 and 2 together.

Don't know why they named Gilly's baby Sam in the series, but I guess it's just better television to see Gilly making that sentiment. In the books, the wildlings don't name their children until their first birthday, because they're likely to die of the cold before then. And when they do name Gilly's son, I'm pretty sure they just called him Monster for whatever reason. But it's a minor change. I liked the detail of the wildling way of not naming their children til one year after birth.

Though with the seasons being a mess I have no idea what sort of system wildlings would have for deciding the year, apart from the number of days passed I guess. But even then sometimes winter is just dark for days on end, so keeping time would be a bother. I dunno. Magic.

Posted

Yeah, I try to do this as much as possible. Even the tiniest detail is letting on too much. Like, I just download any anime that looks pretty that I see on /a/ without knowing anything about it. No genre, no synopsis, no explanations of anything. Same with the currently airing anime, for the most part. But I can't really avoid those spoilers as easily as more talked about and less popular series.

Although, I have a bad habbit of just leaving things sit on my computer/external. I really need to get on all of this shit I've downloaded so I can actually talk about it with people or just have something new to adore and love. I have it all at my disposal, but I just let it sit.

And, yeah, new Game of Thrones episode was pretty banana and Necro, saying things are TOTALLY GONNA HAPPEN OMG HEH HEH *THUMBS UP* is defs a spoiler. Not trying to pibble over it, but still. Maybe Teto and I are just pibblers ourselves. Teto, we should talk more. Maybe you're the one that will appreciate my chill music...

Oh, I read Teto's above post and he disagreed with himself, so I'm just the lone pibbler, then. HEH.

Nuh uh

Posted

We pibble as one.

Posted

I did not see the ending of the purple wedding coming. I somehow avoided that spoiler by pure luck. Holy puppy!

Teto likes this

Posted

The Red wedding is like, the only thing people set out to spoil for other people. The other big events almost never get spoiled like that. Of course you can accidentally learn something from looking the wrong kind of thing up...