Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game Of Thrones[SPOILERS]: The "Not the Books" Thread WITH HUGE SPOILERS

157 posts in this topic

Posted

I mean, i usually watch the show a week or so after it's aired. So like, Tumblr has lots of gifs of GoT so im usually spoiled about even the smallest of things.

Posted

Also, white walkers in S04E04:

That one took me by surprise. As it turns out when I went back to look in the book, the whole white walkers making babies into white walkers was actually hinted at. I'm not sure how clear it was in the books that crasters sons were taken away by white walkers, but in the mutiny at craster's keep, Gilly begs Sam to take her with him, and the older women say that "Craster's sons" will be coming to get Gilly's baby. Understanding that the babies are given to white walkers, and then having the white walkers referred to as "Craster's sons" just makes it a case of putting 2 and 2 together.

Don't know why they named Gilly's baby Sam in the series, but I guess it's just better television to see Gilly making that sentiment. In the books, the wildlings don't name their children until their first birthday, because they're likely to die of the cold before then. And when they do name Gilly's son, I'm pretty sure they just called him Monster for whatever reason. But it's a minor change. I liked the detail of the wildling way of not naming their children til one year after birth.

Though with the seasons being a mess I have no idea what sort of system wildlings would have for deciding the year, apart from the number of days passed I guess. But even then sometimes winter is just dark for days on end, so keeping time would be a bother. I dunno. Magic.

As for the time thing, anybody with a clear view of the sky can tell when a year's past. The stars move in a cycle that repeats every year, which is how people like the ancient Egyptians, and other cultures in and around the equator, were able to tell when a year has passed.

Oh, and that thing from the end of the episode is still making my mind swirl from the implications.

Also, in Game of Thrones big things are always on the horizon. Necro saying that big events are ahead, when the last season ended with a huge paradigm shift, isn't even close to spoiler territory and is, quite frankly, common sense in the context of a show that has drama that's literally entirely reactionary to previous events, going back all the way to the very first episode. Yes, people should get hyped, but not for this episode or that. That's just how you respond because it's Game of Thrones, and each episode that airs and will air up until the very end gets us closer to something cool, and that's not a spoiler, that's just a fact that comes along with being a damn fine television show.

Posted

Yeah, stars seemed to make sense. I think there was some thing where George MaRRtin said it was to do with maesters keeping an eye on the stars. I just wouldn't expect most folk who can't even read to be able to keep track of the stars. If you don't count reading as something worth doing then most of the smallfolk in cities and whatnot would probably just live day-to-day without worrying a great deal about years. Then again I don't know how people would be about all that. And maybe if you really had to rely on the stars for years a lot of people would pick up a sense for it. Just seems like too complicated a thing for each and every person to adopt.

There are some questions not even worth asking though, saying all this.

Posted

I'm sure constellations make it easier to remember and teach, but yeah I dunno the specifics and they probably don't matter a ton. Although, considering how much detail G.R.R.M. puts into the story he probably has super in-depth notes charting all the brightest stars in the skies of Westeros just in case some minor, one-off character ever needs to mention them.

Posted

That made me think of this video:

Has some interesting and hilarious information in it. Sorry if it was already posted earlier.

Posted

I'm sure constellations make it easier to remember and teach, but yeah I dunno the specifics and they probably don't matter a ton. Although, considering how much detail G.R.R.M. puts into the story he probably has super in-depth notes charting all the brightest stars in the skies of Westeros just in case some minor, one-off character ever needs to mention them.

btw I just now realised that your avatar is a mecha head. I thought it was a shocked robot chicken or something and I didn't even question it.

ICeLLpu.jpg

UodcaOn.jpg

Posted

Oh god, thats fantastic

Posted

UodcaOn.jpg

This art is now officially Zako-approved.

Teto likes this

Posted

dunno if you guys have ever seen these but someone took screenshots of entire episode and recaptioned them

it's pretty puppying hilarious, pheo I feel like this is your type of humor

S4E1 http://imgur.com/a/H0wTs

S4E2 http://imgur.com/a/XHTDr

And the rest of S4 (so far) is here

http://captainofalltheships.tumblr.com/tagged/chrys-watches-got-full

pheonix561 and Teto like this

Posted

yes yes yes thank you very much

Posted

Heads up.

Posted

Jesus Christ

Posted

Mhm. Even having read the books my heart was racing at a thousand beats a minute

Teto likes this

Posted

I think I was on the verge of being very upset for about half an hour afterwards. I was just like, "WHY? HE WAS SO BEAUTIFUL ;_________;"

because that scene was puppying gnarly, like hoooooooly shit that was almost as bad as the red wedding, if not worse. The red wedding was horrible because it came out of left puppying field and suddenly, bloodbath. You knew someone was going down for the Mountain vs the Viper, but you didn't know who, or how. So to have Oberyn's scene all built up, with this shimmering chance of redemption and victory, to be SNATCHED AWAY IN THE MOST GRUESOME, SHOCKING MANNER....jfc ugh

I want to hate GRRM, puppy. I was so upset. I can't move past the notion that the good guys don't always win in GoT. 

I read this on  /r/gameofthrones, though, and it made me feel better:

People always bitch about GRRM killing off their favorite characters in GoT. I think that the traits that make them our favorite characters are also the cause of their deaths. For example, Oberyn's flair and sense of drama that made us fell in love with him also led to his death. Ned's honor killed him, as did Robb's. Robert died for his pride, as did Drogo. The characters that survive this harsh world do so because they don't have dominant traits that lead to avoidable deaths. Sansa's lack of strong convictions allowed her to survive King's Landing. Arya's willingness to do what it takes has kept her alive. The things we love about Tyrion (his outspoken swagger) are catching up with him.

This isn't a comprehensive theory, but rather a theme present throughout the series: what doesn't bend, breaks. We love the characters who don't roll with the punches, the characters who stand up to a cruel and unfair world. It's also for these reasons that they meet untimely and often gruesome fates.

And it kind of brings me some comfort, to be honest. We all strive to be hero, or we all admire the hero for their strong convictions. But this is saying that it’s okay that we don’t have those, because this world is too crazy for us to live always going against the river’s flow. No, we won’t be remembered as the stand out people from the past. The truly remarkable people from history...yes, they might have taken a stand and held strong at some point, but not the entire time. It’s all about finding the right opportunity to be remarkable, not always living it. But that doesn’t make a very good story, so, GoT gives us characters we adore, only to snatch it away to show the reality of it all.

Cascade likes this

Posted

The good guys very seldom win. Its the smart ones that really do win.