Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game Of Thrones[SPOILERS]: The "Not the Books" Thread WITH HUGE SPOILERS

157 posts in this topic

Posted

I wonder how they did that thumbs in the eyes skullcrush scene for him. Do you think they made an anamatronic skull or something? He was missing his bottom two teeth after all.

Posted

Killed her screaming welp. Being the kid. And then raped her. Being Elia

Posted

He-He's alive... he's not dead... he's alright... he's fine... ;~;

All the dead Game of Thrones characters' actors will get together and have an afterlife party, to help the viewers in their grief.

Posted

Jesus Christ pedro pascal is smokin *________*

Posted

y0UKCRi.png

Man the season 7 idea near the end sounds great. Love this.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Theres so many things in that I don't even know. I love people like this. Their tears bring joy to my heart.

Okay this one

>Prince Oberyn

>King

He though that Prince Oberyn, Oberyn Martell, would be king. I don't know how you get this far into the show and not comprehend simple basic facts of primogeniture and plot saavy

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

That was without a doubt, a fantastic episode

But...

They've removed Tyrion's motivation for the future. I mean, he can still do what he did before, after having his life yanked out from under him no doubt he might find himself without a purpose, like he did in the books. But it just doesn't mean as much. In the books the single event that made Tyrion Tyrion was the revelation that Tysha was a whore, cutting out the revelation that she wasn't actually, and that she legitimately loved him completely changes Tyrions base motivation. The events proceeding will be more hollow. Not that Peter Dinklage isn't up to the task of making it great, he always seems to, it just bums me out. If its a time concern, there was plenty of time in the Jaime Tyrion scene to put it in. But I don't think it was a time concern. I think its because they assume that people who just watch the show have the attention span of a goldfish. "Why remind them of Tysha, we can perfectly accomplish all of that with Shae right?" Really I think that upset me more than not ending with Lady Stoneheart. At least she'll probably eventually show up, even though the end of this season would have been the perfect place for it. Seriously, if this had ended with stoneheart this episode would have made television history, it would be right up there with Captain Picard turning around and being a borg in best of both worlds. They could have made the internet EXPLODE.

But other than that, it was fantastic. I've heard its getting emmy nods for writing, and it deserves them.

Posted

Daenerys locking away her dragons will upset me to no end.

Let's remember that Lady Stoneheart is a book thing. Under no circumstances should anybody Google her, or you risk spoiling her character. Just knowing her name doesn't really give anything away though, so don't worry about that.

I'm willing to bet that Lady Stoneheart won't show up at all tbh. Her relevance is short and not big enough for TV to warrant even showing her. She's a cool character but on a TV show where they simplify the character pool and scope for more emotional impact, her brief appearance would seem like wasted potential. The TV show does a good job of minimalising and grittifying everything, cutting out a lot of the magic and things that take away from the 'gritty medieval' theme they've got going. 

Like they made the 'three-eyed raven' a breathing man rather than a hollowed out corpse with roots weaving through him, and The Children of The Forest was just shortened to The Children, because I guess "of the forest" sounds too whimsical.

They know what appeals to people and so it limits what they fully translate from the books. Stoneheart might not show up, unless they think of a way to give her a story or wider world relevance worth writing scenes for, which I doubt. If they do it, they'll tie her into a central character's story.

She'll show up in Brienne's storyline later on I'll bet, tying into events in Feast for Crows. That seems like the most opportune time to introduce her.

BIG REMINDER:

Because of the new "Latest posts" the opening lines of that spoiler-filled post was on the main page for all to see. So put something in front of your post to push it off the main page. Spoiler tags don't help, I tried.

Posted (edited)

>Cutting out magic

>Children of the forest shoot fireballs and blow up Dnd skeletons

I guess if she's going to be a thing then that would be the best way to do it. Brienne that is. I didn't really want that, because I expected it this episode, and I wanted there to be a few months in between them. Doesn't matter now though, since they didn't do the thing.

I dunno, you aren't the first person I've talked to that's said Stoneheart shouldn't be in the show. I don't really get it.

Something a friend of mine suggested was

To not make that scene a big reveal, but to show Stoneheart from the beginning, with Beric giving her the kiss of life, and seeing her grow as a character. If that means she gets to be in the show I wouldn't mind losing the biggest most hard hitting reveal in the series. Seriously, its one of the reasons why Storm of swords is as popular as it is. And another thing about the other thing. Tysha. Tywin Lannister didn't just die in that chapter, the image of Tywin puppying Lannister, this hard ass dude who is more than a man dies too. With the added reveal of the tysha thing you see just how petty and evil the character is. People who watch the show are still arguing that Tywin is the man westeros needs, a hardass who does what he has to for the goof of the realm, even with shae in the other room. Like I said, Stoneheart bums me out a bit, but Tysha I think is my least favorite change in the show so far.

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

I'm not saying that Stoneheart shouldn't be in it (though I suggested it in that post, I don't think so now), but I'm just saying that it wouldn't make sense in a TV show to introduce her at this point. I didn't expect her to be in this episode at the very least, though the more I thought about it, the more I came around to the idea that she probably will show up, but just not now. Maybe season 5 or 6. She's a bit one-dimensional in a Strong kind of way.

Expectations are bad.

Also yeah, cutting out magic wasn't the right thing to say.

I'm just being cynical about the whole 'gritty' theme of everything in the media and Game of Thrones is a big example of that theme, in it's colour pallette of brown, greenish brown, light brown, dark brown, and reddish brown. The grittiness, heavy handed brutality, and political intrigue are great as they distract the viewer from the magic that exists in the world. Bran's outings were always a surreal contrast to the rest of the plotlines in that they featured magic and foresight and superpowers basically.

The modern grittiness and faded dark tones of the show just make me a bit cynical about it. Sometimes it seems some of the fantasy elements are pulled back in to be closer to reality (though that might just be for the sake of making you believe it a little more without sacrificing the image of the show). No coldhands for instance, who I thought was a cool dude, and The Children only looking a little inhuman (though that one might just be down to interpretation). It feels like they cut out characters like coldhands simply because they touched too much on magic and fantasy, but it's probably not that or else they would have given The Children of the Forest fire arrows instead. Probably a budget thing.

Daario's hair change was probably a case of reeling him back in though, since the show can't dare to be that outlandish, nor can they have Vargo Hoat being a slobbering easterner, but have to make him as grey and typical as everybody else. I looked forward to that too, but got disappointed. They have TV standards to meet, and it peeves me a little from time to time. It's smaller things like that that annoy me a little, but maybe Vargo Hoat wasn't a big enough deal to develop properly.

But blah, I'm tired, and being a bit too open with my bitterness for my own good. I'm not being particularly levelheaded about what I'm saying, and so it's easy to let myself slip up and seem biased toward a certain point of view, when it isn't really very important to me at all. I'm just talking a lot of shit about a very small thing.

Posted

No I definately get what you're saying. With HBO they have the ability to do whatever they want. They don't bow to advertisement money, so they are completely free. I don't get why the audience would follow you through so much, but you see one guy with blue hair and its nope, this is far too silly. But I see comments like that all the time from people who seem to just watch the show. They just have like, 0 suspension of disbelief. I dunno, it can be frustrating. I see a lot of people say, the show isn't written for book fans, its written for everyone, and to that I say, are those two things mutually exclusive?

Posted

This show is definitely not for everyone.

A lot of subtlety that modern audience viewers don't pick up on, or misinterpret entirely. My friend, after watching 4 seasons, still can't tell me the names of all the characters, or which house they belong to. I can't count how many times my friend has asked "when is this show going to get some good in it??" He wants a happy ending to the show. I...don't really foresee that. I don't think characters in GRRM's books die off willy-nilly, but the show does seem to make it look that way. The first death he was genuinely happy about was Ygritte's, because it was the first that was completely just in his eyes. She killed Ollie's parents, so he returned the favor. Can't say I agree with him, but that's what made him happy. It made him sad when I told him that wasn't in the book, lol. 

Is it just me? I haven't read the books very far, but I do know about a lot of the differences. It seems like the show just likes to kill more people off for emotional effect, though it leaves me with a very bitter taste. I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy happy endings to stories more than I do tragedies. Every story has its place, but tragedies don't sit well with me (as they shouldn't, I suppose). 

I can't tell where this story is headed. It's obviously very, very tragic so far. But, like my friend, I'm often asking myself if this story is worth finishing. Am I just going to get the end and be like "welp. wasted hours for a shit ending" or is the payoff going to be big? I really can't tell.

I want to think that all these deaths have a purpose, that certain characters could potentially be raised from the dead, and that the story will have a satisfying conclusion after all this violence. But realistically, I think I'm setting myself up for major disappointment. 

All that said, I do find the show engaging and fantastic in a lot of ways. Just a bit too gruesome. See Oberyn. 

Posted

There really wasn't a reason to care about show Ygritte dying. She butchered people without mercy. Only caveat she made was for another wildling for a baby. Oh, and she killed Pyp. puppy her

Book Ygritte's death on the other hand...

I feel like its not a spoiler to elaborate on it now since people already know the big parts. The battle on the wall was actually 2 battles smushed together

The Wildlings on the other side of the wall attack, and in the big battle, Ygritte is shot with an arrow, but Jon never sees it. He just finds her later. He never even got to say goodbye, or tell her he was sorry or anything.

Oh, this is something I was a little disappointed by for this season, but I understand that its not completely a reasonable complaint. No new songs. I would have killed to hear I am the last of the giants over the credits of episode 9.