New Smashbros Discussion Thread

715 posts in this topic

Posted

My only hope is that they actually update the game to make it more balanced after the metagame starts taking shape. I don't want another Meta Knight.

Posted

Super smash brothers is not and should not be a balanced game. The fact that a tournament culture went up around it is insane.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

fo sho should be tho

Even in a casual setting. A fighting game should be balanced regardless of its setting, so that it's enjoyable for all its participants. If you know a character is easier to win with, you're going to feel cheated when you're beaten by it, because your difference in skill starts to become irrelevant in a fighting game, where skill is supposed to be the determining factor. Melee was definitely the best in that regard, where you could have a fun casual match, but there was a really crazy skill level subset of players that made destroying opponents in Smash Bros. into an art. Melee is just really great in general, in every regard. Though I liked everything that Brawl managed to do. Forcing players to occasionally trip was the worst, though. That should have at least been a setting.

Posted

See, I disagree. I have preferred characters because of my playstyle, not because some are more broken than others. I play anchors, heavy characters. I play Ganondorf, cause he's awesome, but of course he's slow so he's hard to play.

I say leave the balancing acts to your tekkens and DOAs. SSB is about the spectacle, where else do you get to see Bowser pile driving Link into the track of F Zero

Posted

And that's good, to pick characters based on your playstyle. But if the character you're most comfortable with is objectively harder to win with then it's practically like giving yourself a handicap, and that's no fun. The best Ganondorf I've ever faced still only got a single KO on me because I tripped into his warlock punch when I had a complete open window to dash attack him. In Brawl he's actually one of the worst characters to play. He's really fun, seriously, like one of my favorites to play with, but he's just so bad. So I don't tend to play him, because I find fun in playing against people who are good, maybe even better than I am, and struggling back and forth, testing my skills. If you've got a Ganondorf in a 4-player match on a small stage (especially with items on) it's going to be living hell. I don't see the party fun in that.

We could debate on what the game's motives are, but I still say I'd rather have it balanced. The concept of Smash Bros. is about spectacle, yeah, but it's still a fighting game. You want to have fun, but you also want to win. Like if in the next Mario Kart, there was a kart that was objectively better than everyone else's carts, and there was practically no point of not using it if you wanted to win, and all the other carts were in quantized steps of worse than the top kart, then that would really take the fun out of playing the game, and it'd make the variety kind of pointless.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

I'm not super-experienced with Smash Bros. but I think balance and spectacle need not be contradictory things. In a purely competitive game like a fighter, being able to stand a chance with any and every character against similarly skilled people seems like there's no downside. If anything, having more balance increases spectacle, because it widens the possibilities of crazy things that can happen by including a greater variety of characters. 

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

I don't know, I think the random mixed bag of effectiveness is fun, but agree to disagree? Yeah. If Wily isn't a stage boss I will be very disappointed.

Posted

I'm not super-experienced with Smash Bros. but I think balance and spectacle need not be contradictory things. In a purely competitive game like a fighter, being able to stand a chance with any and every character against similarly skilled people seems like there's no downside. If anything, having more balance increases spectacle, because it widens the possibilities of crazy things that can happen by including a greater variety of characters. 

But also it's really entertaining when people are good "low-tier" characters

Posted

Especially when those "low-tier" characters destroy a "god-tier" character.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

come on guys

fox only final destination no items

pheonix561 and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

I remember there was a time long ago in melee when I perfected the use of jigglypuff's "sleep" attack.

Some of my friends didn't even know it was an attack and once I was accused of hacking the game. 

This was back when I didn't even have a computer.

Posted

This'll be the first one I'll actually get, so I look forward to it.

Posted

Especially when those "low-tier" characters destroy a "god-tier" character.

Where have you fucking been. I demand a full status report.

Posted

Well, I've been working and dealing with some unpleasant situations.

I've been lurking around here most of the time, just couldn't think of anything to say. I'm definitely going to try and stay active this time.

pheonix561 likes this