New Smashbros Discussion Thread

715 posts in this topic

Posted

SrSiQYJ.png

Posted

So Chrom gets a Mii costume in Smash 4, and it's really puppying good looking too. Seeing that got me back into smash for a bit, but then I realized I don't know how to make Ryu do a fireball when facing left. The input is:

super-smash-bros-4-ryu-dlc.png?itok=MXa7

But for whatever reason I can only get it to work when facing right. I can do Hadouken, Tatsumaki Senpuken and Shoryuken facing either direction, but if I try a fireball facing left he just does a side smash or dash attack and it's really frustrating.

Posted

In my experience, this is like being Right handed. Its easier to inputs when facing right as opposed to when facing left, basically.

Posted

My favorite aspect of Nintendo was that they didn't give fans what they wanted. They were trying new things and giving fans what they didn't know they wanted. I felt like every dumb teenager had some idea for a "badass" game or concept. I enjoyed knowing that they'd never get their way. I new that Nintendo wouldn't resort to that. This discretion by Nintendo to not take the easy money or the quick return lent to a certain legacy. I felt like Nintendo games were a cut above the others because they were all created on its own terms, adhering to their own standards. Fulfilling the fantasies of players doesn't create a good experience, it just fulfills their appetite. Nintendo has officially made that move and has fulfilled every stupid teenager's wishes. They've set a terrible precedent. This action by Nintendo will not only validate every idiot who has ever had had a "sweet" game idea, it will encourage more idiots to voice their stupid ideas. 

Ladies and gentlemen, Cloud Strife has been confirmed for Smash 4. It's a dark day for us all. 

Posted

i wanted shovel knight

Posted

I've never played FF7 so really I couldn't be more indifferent.

Posted

I guess if you're gonna put in an FF character, Cloud has got to be the one I guess.

T1g likes this

Posted

warning: f word

T1g likes this

Posted

I am pretty sure they wanted a Final Fantasy character in, and Cloud is pretty much the Final Fantasy posterboy

Posted

I'd rather have Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII to be honest. Though really, unless they're planning on making Final Fantasy VII for the Wii U, I could honestly not care less about Cloud.

Posted (edited)

My favorite aspect of Nintendo was that they didn't give fans what they wanted. They were trying new things and giving fans what they didn't know they wanted. I felt like every dumb teenager had some idea for a "badass" game or concept. I enjoyed knowing that they'd never get their way.

Which is why Twilight Princess doesn't have Wind Waker's longevity, to me. Pandering to the public's want for a grittier realistic Zelda game. "more like OoT!!" the fans screeched, and Nintendo answered. The gritty streak in popular culture will define the 2000s in part for me. I like to think we're into post-gritty now, embracing goofy parodies instead. 

TP is cool, but Wind Waker is eternal, because nobody asked for Wind Waker. It did it's own thing, and that gives it integrity.

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)

Posted

Although, having said that and watching the stream now, I do remember this game fondly. Hard to remember it as standout among all the murky grey/brown media of the time, but it might come into its own again after a replay. It had my favourite final boss sequence, and companion character. It could still stand to be thought better of, and I'm just pandering to popular opinion by putting Wind Waker on a pedestal above it.

I also feel like the iteration of Zelda from that game was one of the strongest, but I've never really taken the time to compare. Tetra would come close, but I never thought of her as Zelda, because that just seemed like a legacy that was forced on her.

It's weird that in Wind Waker, like with Tetra; Makar and Medli are forced into a place of historical importance. But unlike Tetra, you just hypnotise them and sacrifice them to an ancient temple for an eternity of servitude. As soon as they 'remember who they are' they abandon everything they've ever known and follow you into the temple, never to return home. Sounds like hypnotism and subsequent sacrifice to me. 

Posted

I agree. 

Speaking of Twilight Princess and things that no one asked for: Nintendo is re-releasing Twilight Princess in HD. loooool

Posted

On this topic: Does anybody even play Mario Tennis?

Posted

i play mario tennis... i play a loooot of mario tennis........

wii sports tennis is my favourite game of all time nnngh.................................