New Smashbros Discussion Thread

715 posts in this topic

Posted

yes

Posted

I'm pretty sure Dark Pit was a pallet swap in SSBB. Why make a "Dark" character an official character...

Dark Pit better have a pretty much completely different moveset than Pit. Otherwise why not bring in Dark Link and Dark Samus while we're at it? Oh, and painter Mario from Super Mario Sunshine?

Posted

"Painter Mario" is in the game lol- His name is Bowser Jr.

Posted

I don't get why Dark Pit is away from Pit and Palutena, though. Maybe the roster is still getting filled out. The final state of the wholly unlocked roster was in the other games were designed so that all the characters of the same franchise were together. But as you were gradually piecing the roster together, it would shift and the characters would be separated from each other. So maybe there's more? And in the second to last row, it looks like one more could fit

Posted

Yeah, according to the original posts featuring those image leaks, more characters are to be unlocked. If you notice, Miis are missing in those pictures, but they have been confirmed by Nintendo! 

The (assumed) reason why Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina are so far away from their franchise brothers and sisters, is because they are in fact clones in some way.

Posted

All the "realistic" human characters have the same face in this game. Even though they're from different franchises and companies. Shulk just doesn't seem interesting to me at all.

Ike and Link are the only ones who kind of look different, and it's only slightly.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

*Anime*

Posted

To be fair, Dark Pit's primary weapon of choice when you fight him is a sniper rifle (or "staff"), not the bow that pit uses. He is still probably going to be a clone though

Posted

Maybe it'll be like wolf and fox, they basically work the same but with angle changes or whatever

Posted

SSBB's clones were actually fairly different from each other. The difference between Fox, Falco, and Wolf is pretty large, though they, on paper, have similar abilities.

And yes I realize that painter-Mario was Bowser Jr. [[[[spoilers]]]] but it's still annoying. At least it's not as silly as Good/Evil Cole in Playstation All-Stars.

Posted

I'm actually surprised they're going with clones, to be honest. I figured when they added the ability to customize characters in the way that they did and showed mario's fireballs as examples, that meant they were going to be done with clone characters for good, because people could just play around with how a character works in order to make them more like their clone. I'm sure fox will have an adjustment for his blaster to make it fuction like Falco's. So yeah, maybe clone characters really will function entirely differently this time.

I'm eager to see whats going to happen with the character adjuster thing, actually. I think it's going to help make things like modding your wii to run project m unnecessary. I mean, it will still probably happen, and I don't think it's a bad thing, but a character modder thing already built into the game will make everyone's lives easier, won't it? instead of going to a tournament and seeing only fox in the finals, so many other characters will be modded to be able to contend with higher tiers, right? You can probably just go online and find a list of "Okay here's the official tournament settings for pit: make his swords 10% stronger and make him fire three arrows at once, now he's high tier" or something.

I'm also really curious to see what combinations will make a character overpowered.

Posted

The Miis, who are customizable, are on a separate screen in the game. I am going to guess that it's on the same screen that allows you to edit characters. I've seen tournament rules already, and people are saying that Miis will be banned outright. It would be cool to have to adjust your strategy against the customized Miis, I think. But at a tournament, you don't have time to go in the settings and start editing your character. That would take forever. Also, I do think people will try to make builds for characters, even if they're banned in tournaments.

So yeah, I think the character editing screens are totally separate from the multiplayer smash screen.

Tiers don't matter that much and you don't need to mod anything to play Project M.

PrimaGaga and T1g like this

Posted

Yeah project M is brilliant in that you literally just use the stage builder to load it. I think it was the stage builder at least

Posted

Yeah I actually don't know anything about project M, I just am anticipating there being less of a need for something like that thanks to the new character play style editor thing. What if they let people edit characters for tournaments? Like somebody comes up with a completely unique playstyle for one particular character's settings? A tournament where people enter with completely unique characters since they all have their own edit settings?