Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Teto AMA

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey, this is a bit of a personal question by nature I guess so you don't really have to answer it if you don't want to, but I'm really a bit curious and this seems like a good time to ask. Most furries have fursonas, but you don't have one. However, you still claim to be a furry. I'm not saying having a fursona is a requirement for being a furry or anything, but pretty much every furry I've ever met has one. What are your thoughts on fursonas? Why don't you have one? Have you ever thought about maybe getting one? How did you know you're a furry despite not having a fursona?

Posted

WAS IT TOO PERSONAL

Posted

They call it the "furry fandom" for a reason. Homestuck fandom: Run around the internet with Homestuck avatars (some partake in fan fiction, some draw art, some make their own fantrolls, etc). It's like any other fandom. I don't really care about associating with it all that much anymore. I just like the art. 

I'm kind of like a low level Sherlock fan or something. I watch and enjoy the TV series and know a bit about it enough to talk about it, but I'm not really into it like some people. So you could argue that I'm not even in the Sherlock fandom at all, and I wouldn't say I am. I just like it.

I'm in the furry fandom to the extent that I look up the art and enjoy it, like someone might look up Homestuck fanart but not really care to talk about the comic all that much or get really into it. Casual fandom-goer.

I did think about getting a fursona at some point, but in the end I just don't really care all that much, because I'm not that into it. I don't go around saying I'm a furry, I just like the art enough to use them as avatars and that's about as deep as it goes for me.

Furries make a lot more sense when you remember that it's just another fandom, with the same varying levels of obsession among those who claim to follow it.

pheonix561 and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Hey I actually like the artists you send me sometimes though. Would you mind posting your favorite furry artists?

Posted

I'll have a look around and see who I can remember.

Oh no, I found one who did silly little furry people versions of GoT characters: http://mephisti.tumblr.com/ - They're bastardisations, but nicely done ones. Guess turning pre-existing characters into animal people would be a decent character design exercise, taking a human being and crafting their likeness into an animal's face in a way that you can still see the character when you look at them. I guess. But that same sort of thing can be done just drawing any character in different styles anyway. There's probably different character design styles, and people making characters will put focus on certain aspects of characters, and by taking a character you have in your head, you could practice by taking different approaches with the character's design multiple times. You probably do that in art class or something, since it sounds simple enough an idea.

But with furry characters, you also have the species of the animal to use when designing them.

tumblr_mlgn38odHe1rgxwt5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mlgn38odHe1rgxwt5o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mlgn38odHe1rgxwt5o3_1280.jpg

There's also samparty aka muttmonster, who I nicked this avatar from: http://samparty.tumblr.com/post/49211486336/a-golden-tiger-girl-ive-had-in-my-head-for-the

This fox-n-brownsugar person on tumblr does neat looking stuff too: http://fox-n-brownsugar.tumblr.com/

There was also that one on deviantart I posted at some point: http://minnasundberg.deviantart.com/

They don't seem that furry though, but the human characteristics they seem to put into animal characters seems to give it that effect. But that's just general anthropomorphism, to the same extent movies like The Lion King and The Artistocats, or Peter Rabbit-like stuff. So it's not accurate to say they're a furry artist, because they aren't really.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Teto likes this