Undertale

72 posts in this topic

Posted

thats what i meant sorry. what is everyones favorite song in the game anyway? I am fond of the final boss themes, but if we dont count those for being too easy a choice, my favorites would be a tie between evil dummy and Muffet (the spider girl)

Posted

Greater Dog! Best song.

T1g likes this

Posted

Personally I favor [the one that was in Homestuck], and Another Medium, the theme from Hotland. I love all of the music in the game, though.

Posted

the one that was in homestuck was actually a remix of something he did for an earthbound thing. So we are at like remix^3 or something

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

I have a feeling he's just going to put it in everything he makes after the Halloween Hack.

Posted

This game has soooooo many Homestuck references :D

Posted

Yeah, this was apparently made by someone involved with Homestuck, and it's uncomfortably obvious to me. It's like a weeby Stanley Parable. Tumblr is so oversaturated with this kind of humour already that it almost feels annoying to play this game, and be reminded of how much it absolutely encapsulates the fandom side of tumblr's sense of humour. It's too obvious. 

I guess my irritation mainly comes from the scientist character in Hotland. The satirical weeaboo caricature is such a worn out joke that they just get on my nerves, and I don't find them endearing. If there was an option to switch them off, I'd be all over that. Let that joke be over with so they can stop interrupting my game. Sure, you're shy and anxious, I respect that, but you're also weird and annoying, and I've moved past the point of sympathy, and I don't have the patience to bolster your confidence by putting up with your obnoxious messages. So boooo, that character can shut up.

I don't hate the character that much really, but only because usually I have the patience to see past how goddamn obnoxious they are. For Christ's sake, shut up.

I need to sleep. Fuckin weeb character pestering me.

Posted

You have dissuaded me from playing the game. I feel the same way about homestuck and the general influences that it has had on other works on the Internet. It's hard to put a finger on it exactly. You pretty much explained it, though. 

I have been seeing bits and pieces of the game from second-hand sources. People posting about it and stuff. I thought the game seemed cool and fun. I wanted to play it. But the more people were posting about it, the more turned off I became. It was like the fans of the game felt like they were all "in on something". Like there was this vague sense of snobbiness or something that surrounded the game. It felt really insincere to see fans of the game try to very quickly make inside jokes about the game, as almost to like, stake their claim in it. There was this crazy rush to establish memes and in-jokes about this indie game so that they could say "yeah, I was one of the first people to play it!" Like, these people were already planning their "fandom" of the game before it even came out. It is just not a welcoming atmosphere and it's actually pretty weird to see it all play out. I don't understand how you can be a hipster with a videogame, but whatever. 

I felt a similar way about Splatoon. It was like all of these people decided beforehand that they'd be superfans of it. I feel like the memes that arose from it weren't organic or funny. It was like they scoured the game for something that they could make an inside joke out of within the first few days of release. It's hard for me to put my finger on why this is off-putting. I wonder if I am the only one who feels this way about these games.

Teto likes this

Posted

I like Undertale and Splatoon and think they are fun and that is enough for me to enjoy them

Teto, Cascade and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Yeah, Undertale is good. For the sake of context, I made the above post at 2am after playing the game for 5 hour straight on the end of a long, boring day. I was kind of hungry too. 

There are a lot of ways to describe this game, it's pretty wild. Defense from attacks works like a bullet-hell, with the absurd variety of a Warioware game. The game subverts player expectation in the same entertaining way The Stanley Parable does, which I also recommend you play. It doesn't feel like it has an audience in mind. Or at least not one we're so aware of already.

I'll reserve further pretentious ignorant ranting until after I've played Undertale some more. 

Posted

From what I've seen of pheo streaming this game it is absolutely so cute and well written. I really liked what I saw.

Teto likes this

Posted (edited)

Is there a way to just skip Mettaton-Ex? ;( Quite frankly I suck at this game, and my morale is so drained by this point.

Honestly, I did like this game a lot. But I accidentally killed Toriel at the start and now everything after that feels like a bleak journey into meme-humour-land. Nothing can top being Toriel's daughter, and I messed it up. I want the ending where you just become Toriel's daughter and live with her forever. Screw this meme-shit. I want my monster mom back.

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)
Cascade likes this

Posted (edited)

Don't put too much stock in my words by the way. I think I'm probably just transferring a lot of my own feelings onto the game. Like making a sock puppet say the things I wont; I'm using blowing up the importance of small snags in my gaming experience, to use them as a vessel to express my own vague discomfort with the rest of my life. When you don't understand your feelings, people often just fill up with words and no resolution, because they don't know the enemy they face. So you move the weight from arm to arm, place to place, unable to put it down, and for now I'm putting that weight on Undertale; blowing it up in an attempt to fill the hole of uncertainty weighing on my mind. And so the rants go on and on, because the reasoning doesn't satisfy your discomfort. I'll just have to walk away until I can appreciate the game past the ruins. I'm sure I'll find goofy fonts and awkward nerds funny again, eventually.

I loved the ruins. That was great. But then Sans' voice kind of got on my nerves, and the whole game after that felt like an extended comedy routine. I wanted more of that authenticity I felt with Toriel in the beginning. I got a bit of that when I lay on the ground with the ghost dude. While it was still goofy, it had a nice element of sentimentality to it. Otherwise, apart from the enemies who are adorably overthrown with diplomacy, the game feels very shallow. I think that's about as measured an assessment I can give. There are definitely things about the game I dislike, despite how much I exaggerated them before.

tl;dr tho: I've pretty much been exploiting Undertale to vent other frustrations. Don't hate Undertale. It's a good game with a lot of fun ideas.

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)