Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oracle of Mufn vs. Oracle of Saha: Muffin wins!

16 posts in this topic

Posted

For a couple years now, Muffin and I have been planning on doing a streamed race of The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, emulated. We're finally following through with that, some time in the afternoon today! We'll be marathoning the whole game, conversing as we try and blaze through the game as fast as we can. After we beat the games, we'll likely swap hero codes and race in the opposite version, Oracle of Seasons. The first race may last 6-8 hours, but it's possible it could last less.

rCI2rl9.png

Muffin will be streaming our conversation, both our games, and his game audio, with individual timers for each of us, on his Twitch.tv account. It may start anywhere from 13:00 to 14:00 Central US time. Please stay in the IRC channel (Hnet/chat for those without an executable client) to converse about game happenings.

Fierce Muffin on Twitch.tv

Look forward to it!

(Shout out to Dark_One. He's the only reason I can actually do this, lol.)

Dark_One and Knuckle like this

Posted

Is this today?

Posted

Seems Shaq's friend's friend didn't pick him up, so it'll start a little later, apparently. We'll start in a few minutes.

Apparently, a few minutes means a couple of hours, I didn't know it would take this long. We will be starting within the hour, though.

Posted

You guys are ignoring the chat and that's not very punk rock of you guys.

Posted

ggs mufn

Also Phanta I mentioned that you guys should converse in IRC. ):

Posted

THE WINNER IS HERE IN THE FLESH WITH 9 HOURS, 31 MINUTES, 1 SECOND, AND 1 MILLISECOND.

Shaq, sadly, got stuck in the Jabu-Jabu's Belly(Level 7) for, like, 30 minutes and couldn't make up the lost time. : ( Shaq hilariously caught up in the Skull Dungeon(Level 4) because I couldn't solve this room: LegendOfZelda-OracleOfAges-SkullDungeon-

for a solid 15 minutes, but then his Visual Boy Advance emulator crashed because he tried to move up/down on the map which apparently breaks the emulator for whatever raisin and it worked on mine and I told Shaq to download the emulator I had but he was all like NOOOOOOO, MINE IS PERFECT. And that's how Shaq lost the race, not because I didn't stop for a solid 40+ minutes(because this happened twice and I'm a nice guy) but because those two crashes STOPPED HIS MOMENTUM AND THUS HIS MORALE. He lost... the will... TO WIN.

But, seriously, this was really fun. I didn't even remember the puzzles of Ages being THIS challenging, nor did I think they would still be tough since I'm a lot older now. Apparently, using a guidebook when you're 12 and also not playing the game intentionally so that we'd both be going in "blind" makes your butt pretty unprepared for the puzzles that are in this game. Got damn, son.

Really, though, it was a lot of fun, even if Shaq was a little scribbly half the race because the emulator was pooping and he was pooping on the 7th dungeon. Steve(Shaq's friend), Knux(First half), Ganny(Second half), and Dark One(Second half) all made the stream a lot better and a lot more fun. I'm surprised more people didn't join in, though since it was a 10-hour stream. It was probably because we didn't really say that we were going to do it anywhere until the day of the event?

Also, I should've kept my stream chat open in case anyone came in, which I opened after Steve mentioned someone was talking in the chat, but you were already gone by then. Sorry about that.

Just so peebles know, we'll most likely be doing a follow-up Oracle of Seasons "linked game" playthrough with the passwords we got, so look forward to that. It'll probably be a lot shorter since there'll be less puzzles to be stuck on and more action to be had! Thanks, again, to all the people that watched the stream while we played and hope you had fun.

Dark_One, Sahaqiel and Knuckle like this

Posted

Technically, I watched the stream all the way through

But about half of it I had my eyes closed :D

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

ggs mufn

Also Phanta I mentioned that you guys should converse in IRC. ):

oh my bad, i linked through the status and only came back to this thread to complain lol.

Posted

Yeah Phanta, opening the stream chat for me would mean opening the actual stream, and that takes up a lot more room than IRC.

After a certain point with the mentality of "I just want to get through this" my concentration broke, and just like with Sonic and the Secret Rings (minus the monotony), frustration and lack of concentration in a game that requires lucidity is just the most awful thing. I had to rush hardcore 'cause my emulator crashed. The first time was randomly and I spent like a bunch of time trying to see if I could recover my file through a save state (I couldn't; when my game froze from switching floors on a map, the game turned black and I couldn't press any buttons) and was just generally annoyed for awhile. Muffin let me catch up by waiting probably 20+ minutes, but we still had a pretty big gap before Muffin got stuck on that room. I actually managed to catch up with him, and I was pretty much on fire until then, and then we were neck and neck. Muffin had the advantage of SCREEN LOOKING so he learned from my mistakes in the next room, and I faltered when I heard he was already in the boss room, so I took out my map to look for it. Then another crash, which set me back to my last savepoint, before I got the dungeon's item. Muffin waited another 20+ minutes. All downhill from there.

I could have picked it up; I literally had everything I needed in Jabu Jabu's Belly, but I couldn't find the boss door. For like half an hour uuugggghhh. By this point though I was just mindlessly wandering in defeat. I probably could have caught up at least pretty closely to Muffin if I found the door in a timely fashion. (There was another floor puzzle)

It was still pretty fun. I remember Ages being pretty tough, but trying to complete it in a timely fashion in one sitting is even more tough. The game is amazing though. The puzzles can be really clever, the level design is great, and it's packed with so much content and replay value for a game on the Gameboy. The soundtrack, the artwork, the items, the atmosphere; it's all so great. Really wish they'd make more games like this.

Posted

Sorry I missed it, i was in class

Posted

http://www.twitch.tv/fiercemuffin/c/2501824

The highlight that I thought was hilarious where Shaq catches up while I spent 17 minutes on the same puzzle.

There are also these other highlights that I made:

http://www.twitch.tv/fiercemuffin/c/2501379 Shaq the sad sack.

http://www.twitch.tv/fiercemuffin/c/2486849 I have to tell Shaq what to do half the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/fiercemuffin/c/2486661 Shaq getting pooped on.

http://www.twitch.tv/fiercemuffin/c/2486529 Again, me telling Shaq where to go.

http://www.twitch.tv/fiercemuffin/c/2507738 Level 5 boss fight was intense.

http://www.twitch.tv/fiercemuffin/c/2503069 Ambi's Palace infiltration which has a few funny things in it, maybe?

Posted

After about 7 hours in, I started playing Dark Souls, and mostly just listening, unless something was pointed out. I noticed that Muffin says "dot gov" a lot.

Like, at least 10 times in the portion I was awake

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0