Are you gay yet?

68 posts in this topic

Posted

I more often than not say "we" when I refer to the state of Hyrule.net. I'm part of the passive problem too, don't get me wrong. In fact, though I don't mention it as much, I often blame myself, almost entirely, for the recession of this website. Ever since I came here I defended those who hurt the community and didn't punish people for wrongdoings, even if they deserved it. I often told people that they could come here even if they weren't into Zelda, because we just like to talk about whatever. I've gotten us a lot of users, yeah, directly and indirectly. I think I've gotten about ten or so IRL friends to join at some point, half or so that stayed, and some of them brought their friends. But I blame myself almost entirely for how lax and disorganized we are, and it might just be because we replaced the old community and didn't care to bail when we realized we were just here for each other, and as an administrator of a fansite, I've done a pretty blatantly shitty job.

Incidentally, your wording is really passive aggressive, referring to me in third person instead of second. Like you're calling me out without making eye contact even though I'm right there in front of you. I never say that we should stop using Hyrule.net-- the hope of returning a community would pretty much be lost forever-- but I do think that our involvement here is inherently negative for the site. If I could replace us with a community that could pick it up out of the dirt and have us move out, I'd be all for it. But I don't own the place, or control the people in it, and I hardly even moderate it. In fact, when I say "we", I'm really mostly talking about myself. I think if Dustin just left different people in charge it might have turned out better, because I've always had fluctuating priorities. I don't think I ever directly implied any specific group of people were the "cancer to kill Hyrule.net", and I still do panels and stuff and try to get Hyrule.net more known to people who actually like the series as dedicated fans. Yet I can't even pull us a single new, active, dedicated user who can help us get back on track. Even when I'm not passive I can't help, because it's just not a big priority to me anymore. I have more to worry about, but again, as an administrator, this is just a hollow excuse.

I don't mean to make this life-or-death, because I have more personal issues and priorities to take care of, and in the grand scheme of things, most would probably agree that this place isn't important enough to make any major sacrifice for. I enjoy the Zelda series a lot and I like talking about it with other people who think the same way. I admire its game design and creative effort, the landmarks it's made, and I hope I can achieve that level of legendary status someday. It's a series I look up to. But I have to work on my own problems to even think about it, and sinking my time into this place is simply not something I put high in my priorities. I don't complain about you guys most of the time; I'm wallowing in my own self-criticism.

As for not seeing anyone new being treated poorly, maybe it's because we haven't had a new user to stick around for awhile. Last one I recall is zeldanig, and I was the bad guy there, for doing what I should have been keeping up with, and I stand by that. Whenever it did actually happen, I should have intervened aggressively, because that is one of my jobs as a moderator and administrator. Every newbie being hassled is my responsibility, so them being scared off is my fault. I did too little too late, I suppose. But we do have a history of fiascos regarding new users. At least, the ones who stay long enough to face the initiation test that they're inevitably put through.

We're too close, too exclusive, too alien. Even I feel excluded a lot. Nothing new. If it weren't for this site I would probably lose touch with a lot of you, maybe most of you save for a couple. I'm a drifting island, and I know that. But because of this sense of guilt, of pride, of all the memories I've had here, I want to leave it with some semblance of hope. I can't say I'll leave it better than I found it, but I at least want to get it polished up enough for other people to take the mantle, so that this place doesn't just become another empty web page for sale after slowly festering, crashing, and then disappearing from the memory of the internet. So forgive me if I let myself be a little frustrated at the dull, ironic, uncaring attitude we've adopted in regards to the site. And yes, I am referring to me.

Gilded Grace likes this

Posted

You're right, I don't really care about the state of the forums much to that extent that you do, because pretty much from the beginning of the time I came here, the reason I've got this site bookmarked and have been here for like 6 years, is because of the people and the connections I've formed, and even when I left for a while, a lot of those connections remained, so it feels slightly like the forums start to be less necessary for what I used them for in the first place. I have other, big forums, for actual "Forum" stuff, and I like to use this place to talk to my friends and read things you guys post, and not much else. I try to welcome new people, because I understand the need for more people to come, because how else will we gain new connections? I don't disagree with you on that, it's just felt to me like whenever you speak on the issue it's a lecture on us not doing our "duty."

Sorry for misunderstanding.

PrimaGaga and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

i dont normally like these "KIds React" videos but this is kinda funny. The beginning at least. Then it gets kinda serious. Still a good video.

Posted

I have this vague idea of a funny Youtube channel called Chemicals React, where viral videos are played alongside a video of a chemical reaction that reacts in time to the highs and lows of the video, and then it ends.

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

I read that as "chimetals react" and man that sounds like the best thing ever :o

Teto and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

I like when I manage to make Chimetals cry. :>

Posted

I read that as "chimetals react" and man that sounds like the best thing ever :o

Earthy has me watch things just because of my reactions. I am not even kidding.

I like when I manage to make Chimetals cry. :>

THAT HAS LITERALLY BEEN RAVE MASTER AND OLD DOG/YOUNG CAT AND THE SECOND ONE DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE ANIMALS IS CHEATING

We are watching Kamen Rider when I come over and that is final.

Posted

And then there's Horimiya feels

Posted

I haven't cried though.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

You know you would if a terrible thing happened

Posted

One of them getting hit by a car? Idk, I love a good tragedy.

Posted

Much gay.

Posted

Very homo

Posted

Wow!

pheonix561 likes this