Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pacific Rim [SPOILERIFIC]

35 posts in this topic

Posted

I absolutely adored Pacific Rim. It was gorgeously shot so the action was clear and easy to understand what was happening. The acting, while often scenery-chewing, was generally good to alright. The plot was easy to follow. And the Jaeger's felt believably huge and powerful. But most importantly it is the first successful attempt at a big-budget, live-action Giant Robot movie in the Japanese style.

It also doesn't hurt that Mecha is my favorite genre of anime and Pacific Rim was filled with nods and winks to famous Mecha anime and Kaiju movies. Sahaqiel is pretty on the money about the Eva references, and the rocket elbow was definitely a nod to Mazinger, but there was even more to the influences than that. The pilot helmets of the Russians look significantly like the head of a Scopedog from Armored Trooper Votoms. Del Toro has said the Japanese Jeager that Stacker piloted had a design influenced by the Guncannon from Mobile Suit Gundam and that Cherno Alpha was partially inspired by the Zaku, also of Gundam fame. 

It was a big, dumb action movie, but, excluding Evangelion and Gunbuster, most popular robot anime about fighting giant monsters are big, dumb, explosive, silly stories too. I'm actually glad Pacific Rim didn't try to be too thoughtful or deep and was just a fun time. If I have complaints it's that the humor was pretty hit-or-miss and the characterization was thin. Even so, it's definitely my favorite movie of the year so far, even if I would never argue it was the best.

PrimaGaga and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

Supposedly one of the moves a Jaeger uses was changed in the subtitles to be an anime reference in the Chinese version.

reading that article, it sounds like the translator was also just a shitty translator.

Posted

I got bored and got a little silly with the Jaeger creator...

JAEGER+WHY.png

JAEGER+STAHP.png

OKAY+YOU+KNOW+WHAT+JAEGER+WHATEVER.png

I'm not sorry

SilverAlchemic and pheonix561 like this

Posted

Still haven't seen the first one