Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pacific Rim [SPOILERIFIC]

35 posts in this topic

Posted

The only thing I really felt the movie was lacking was Ellen Mclain singing for the closing credits. Hannibal cutting himself out of the Kaiju made up for it, though.

Posted

what is this

why does this exist

why am I playing this

Eka likes this

Posted

Spoilers for PR2

tumblr_mr4u08Q2na1s01qkyo1_500.gif

Posted

I ran into some PR cosplayers at Fan Expo this past weekend. 

1186890_10153139489920244_36985979_n.jpg

There was also this great Newton cosplayer who made like the whole Kaiju-brain-connecting headgear and wore it with cables connected to a Kaiju brain in a jar they made. They were so great. ;A; I didn't snag a photo though because they were in line for Perlman and my hands were too full so I couldn't get my camera out.

I also met Ron Perlman, and bought some PR prints.

Prints:

1001105_10153139490680244_696278906_n.jp\

1157695_10153139490855244_1373791492_n.j

Posted

4f1f893c368fd55260e1babea7aceaab13776639

Gosick Rim

DR SHRUBBERY! and Eka like this

Posted

A Pacific Rim sequel is in the works. Even though the American Box office was mediocre the international box office was successful. Why is it that innovative and out of the box science fiction fails but Adam Sandler acting like a moron succeeds. 

Eka and pheonix561 like this

Posted

It actually wasn't that deep of a film. I'm still a big fan of it and all, and I loved the designs, but really it was about as deep as any other summer action flick. You can walk away from it asking hundreds of questions that should have been answered but weren't, like "Why the hell didn't they use the sword sooner? Couldn't that have saved the main dude's brother's life at the beginning of the movie?" Stuff like that. It's a fun movie, not a deep movie.

Posted

Yeah the sequel looks dumb because in the script (so I've heard) they'll have a mech/kaiju hybrid. No please.

Posted

Robots? Aliens? Success!

For a sequel? Hm...

... Robotic... aLIENS?! Write that down.

Well sequels never really end up as good as the first, usually. Though, this is Del Toro; I say the sequel not sucking is slightly hopeful because Hellboy II was a lot better than Hellboy I. I love both of course, but II was just a big improvement.

Posted

Gotta be honest with you, I disagree about your hellboy statement. Hellboy 1 was superior. Hellboy 2 seemed like it just got away from the tone of the series. Then again, I'm not really well versed in the hellboy series at all, so I can't say that with an educated opinion.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

Hellboy 1 was WAY better than 2. Hands down.

Posted

I tried to watch both once and I got about the same way into both. Like 1/3 of the way. I don't think I like this guy's movies except Pan's Labyrinth

Posted

Just picked this up off cracked.com, it blew my mind:

lbOIoCB.jpg

Posted

I did think it was a much better action film than most western action films, (I was practically thinking "this is what Michael Bay should have done") but I had a few major qualms:

1) 5/9(?) of the pilots were white, despite trying to make the Kaiju threat look like an international effort.

2) Black guy dies. I feel like out of all the stereotypical things to come from an action film, I thought this movie was above having literally the ONLY on screen dialogue-having black person (maybe literally the only black person on set) die.

3) Russia and China got wrecked. Russians (being white, I guess) got like three lines. Chinaguys, despite having an interesting mech, got stomped almost immediately without having a single line of dialogue. Then Russia's awesome looking tank thing got destroyed.

4) Rei is downgraded to a simple love interest halfway through the film. Despite Jaeger piloting being about linking up and being bros, MC hogged all the lines and practically all the screentime during piloting. Half his lines could have been given to Rei without any changes and it would have been at least 50% better in terms of character development. Rei is so silent by the time she makes Eva Unit America go berserk that she's practically not a character at all.

5) Seconding LL. The scientists were the cheesiest.

As for callbacks, I swear this movie is like American live action Evangelion. It even ends with Rei prying Shinji out of his entry plug. Rei makes Eva Unit America go berserk while testing (except for some reason they don't have a contained area like in Eva where everyone is safe in case an apparently common thing to go wrong goes wrong). Blue short-cropped hair. Rei is Japanese. Having to sync two pilots (happened in an episode of Eva) and the concept of "sync"ing in general; every time the drift happened I'd say "sync ratio 20% and rising...". Rei has a guardian who really isn't her biological father, but she has an attachment to him because he saved her. (I called black guy Misato during the first half and Gendo during the last) Feeling the pain of your mech. Alien like creatures from an incomprehensible world trying to initiate the apocalypse to inherit the earth.

I mean, yeah, some of the things aren't exactly Eva parallels so much as they're parallels to Japanese mecha shows, but it was still a bit cool to wonder whether or not this person really was making these references on purpose. The rocket punch was pretty great. I was like MAN, OF COURSE, ROCKET PUNCH, YEAH. I wish this movie were written a smidge more intelligently so that I wasn't always reminded that it is an American action movie where America has to save the day with his somewhat-of-a-character love interest. C'est la vie.

Supposedly one of the moves a Jaeger uses was changed in the subtitles to be an anime reference in the Chinese version.

All in all, I enjoyed it, but I was just a little disappointed at the clichés thrown in there.