Some MORE Termina Theories

1 post in this topic

Posted

I know that Majora's Mask and all of the elements associated with it have been analyzed and talked about to death already, but despite this, I have two more ideas to propose: one theory that I subscribe to and have actually worked pretty extensively with, even writing an article for it on Zelda Wiki; and another which I regard as more of a thought experiment than anything else, but which I still thought was compelling enough to discuss. Let's begin with the latter theory:

Theory #1: The (Not Quite) Fourth Timeline

I personally am really fond of the Timeline Split mechanic, and I really like how Nintendo used it in setting the timeline up. However, their inclusion of the Downfall Timeline (which involves the Hero of Time's unseen defeat by Ganon in OoT) introduces a compelling point- if a whole new timeline is spawned whenever Link dies (and, according to quantum mechanics, every Link at every point will die in every conceivable way, even if the player never sees it), then new timelines in the style of the Downfall Timeline could be created using any game. I didn't think very much of this at first, but after discussing the concept with some friends of mine, one of them wondered aloud if Termina, which is widely believed to be another universe, could in fact be one of these pseudo-Downfall Timelines. I was intrigued by this idea and took another look at the events of Majora's Mask- and I was surprised to find that this explanation not only fit well, but could serve to explain some of the mysteries surrounding Stone Tower. The blocks and pillars of the Ikana area depict a humanoid figure licking a symbol of the Triforce, with the figure itself looking somewhat inhuman, even somewhat demonic. These images have been interpreted in all sorts of ways before, but after taking another look at Skyward Sword, I realized that these depictions bear a very faint resemblance to Demise. Once I made this connection, the theory fell into place:

Termina is the result of a SS equivalent of the Downfall Timeline, in which Demise defeated Hylia's Chosen Hero and took the Triforce for himself. After disposing of his enemies, Demise conquered the Surface, and later built a stronghold for himself- Stone Tower- and ruled all of Hyrule with no one to stop him. In time, however, a new group of deities- the Four Giants- were called forth to stop him, eventually succeeding. As with his other defeat, Demise cursed the Giants, and with them Termina, to suffer under his hatred forever. Generations later, his hatred manifested within Majora's Mask, birthing the demon inside it, who would later try to destroy Termina. It was only through the actions of the Hero of Time, who was sent into this alternate timeline by the goddesses, that Majora was defeated and Termina saved.

Theory #2- From Skyward Sword to Twilight Princess

This theory is far more encompassing and detailed, and I actually subscribe more to this one than the last one. Rather than type everything out again in an abstract way, here's a link to an article I wrote on the subject:

http://zeldawiki.org/Zelda_Wiki:The_Rise_and_Fall_of_the_Dark_Interlopers

I find this theory to be much more likely and workable than the last one. So, does anyone have any thoughts on these two ideas?