Visual Novels, otoge and the likes

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have no idea why I'm talking to /you/ guys about this but I might as well. If all else fails, we can all just go play Hatoful Boyfriend, right? Yeah... totally...

(I hate-love you all)

Also, let's make it clear that games that are purely erotic are not allowed within this space (You know who you are). 

Sawoobie's list of played games:

Juniper's Knot (Recommend)

Hatoful Boyfriend (Recommend)

X-Note

Other Age (I think it counts...)

Doppelganger: Dawn of the Inverted Souls

A bunch of Voltage phone games that we don't ever talk about :)

The dinosaur one... with the ukelele

Hakuoki

Ongoing:

Heart no Kuni no Alice Anniversary edition

So, yeah... I'm not actually sure what direction to start except that Heart no Kuni is a pain in the ass only because my Japanese is CRAP.

Actually, no, I'm going to go ahead and tell you all to read Juniper's Knot ASAP.

Juniper's Knot is a kinetic novel that was made with Ren'py, which is a free visual novel making program that runs on python. Being that this one is a kinetic novel, you're really just clicking through a story and it's just a nice short story really. The art is also pretty  :)

http://junipersknot.dischan.org/

Gogo!

Edited by Bye (see edit history)

Posted

I like the Nasu verse

Posted

Oh, boy. I can talk about all two visual novels I've played. I'm surprised you haven't played the Steins;Gate vn because I totally remember you or one of your friends having watched the anime/having a Kurisu avatar, but whatever.

Well, for anyone interested in that, an English localization is happening to it and it should be here within 2-3 months.

http://a.lemnis.ca/

This blog is being run by one of the guys that worked on the fan translation and is now on the official translation team, which is pretty cool. Has a couple posts on the changes being added and they're all really good. Really excited to have a physical copy of something Steins;Gate to show my love. I'd definitely recommend that when it comes out to anyone interested in time travel science fiction stuff.

On another chibblo, I dunno if Katawa Shoujo is considered "purely erotic" since it's kind of like 90% relationship and 10% erotic scenes. I finished Emi's route a while back and I might get back into it to do Shizune's. I wasn't really into it that much during Emi's but it wasn't bad, like I found her cute and likeable but I just couldn't get into it, I guess. I've heard people really hate Shizune over all the other girls, so... but I do find things everyone hates enjoyable, apparently, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, I have Fate/Stay Night, Dangan Ronpa, and Hatoful Kareshi downloaded but not really all up on wanting to play them right now. They've all caught my interest but haven't sealed the deal, pretty much.

Posted

Also, let's make it clear that games that are purely erotic are not allowed within this space (You know who you are). 

:,(

Posted (edited)

Oh, boy. I can talk about all two visual novels I've played. I'm surprised you haven't played the Steins;Gate vn because I totally remember you or one of your friends having watched the anime/having a Kurisu avatar, but whatever.

Well, for anyone interested in that, an English localization is happening to it and it should be here within 2-3 months.

http://a.lemnis.ca/

This blog is being run by one of the guys that worked on the fan translation and is now on the official translation team, which is pretty cool. Has a couple posts on the changes being added and they're all really good. Really excited to have a physical copy of something Steins;Gate to show my love. I'd definitely recommend that when it comes out to anyone interested in time travel science fiction stuff.

See, I'm thinking of waiting. I've seen screen shots and things and emso's watched the anime and says it's really good. And it DOES look really good and it's on my list of things to do along with some other VNs (the horror one that I forget the title of all the goddamn time)

On another chibblo, I dunno if Katawa Shoujo is considered "purely erotic" since it's kind of like 90% relationship and 10% erotic scenes. I finished Emi's route a while back and I might get back into it to do Shizune's. I wasn't really into it that much during Emi's but it wasn't bad, like I found her cute and likeable but I just couldn't get into it, I guess. I've heard people really hate Shizune over all the other girls, so... but I do find things everyone hates enjoyable, apparently, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Katawa Shoujo isn't purely erotic. When I said that I meant something like maybe... Absolute Obedience and Hadaka Butler or the shitty dating sims on newgrounds mature section. Those things.

I did actually play it a bit and just forgot. I did Hanako's route because that's totally a thing I do... Chase after the quiet types... :/ I am a terrible person. It was fun though because I pretty much went through the route thinking "I CANNOT CRUSH HER HEART. MUST PICK BEST OPTION HRNRNNRNNNG"

I also heard Rin's was maybe one of the more interesting ones?

Hatoful Kareshi has sparked some surprising level of feels apparently. I probably enjoy it more than I should e-e. Note that there's a secret route in the full version that explains some things. Nothing explains Okosan, though. Nothing. He is just the most birdy of birds.

I'm in the middle of doing one route in Heart no Kuni... There's a fan translation project going but I don't feel like doing those routes yet because.. Well, because I'm not too keen on the ones they have completely out. Though I am perfectly fine with every character and will get to all of them at some point. Every. One. Even Vivaldi. She's an option, yes.

This puppying hare needs to accept that he's a hare.

And this puppying kanji needs to be more understandable what is this.

Posted

I'm pretty good with kanji, and I can help if you want.

Posted

I only read yaoi vn's

Posted (edited)

I only read yaoi vn's

I am not going to bother being surprised.

I'm pretty good with kanji, and I can help if you want.

AETHIX. HOLD STILL. I'm attaching it now.

That thing in the last line... I don't know what that is at all. I can't even find it :C

Edit: It didn't attach the first time brb

2oww.jpg

I'm sorry about the size but that's just how big it is :C

Posted

You're referring to 斧, right? Yeah, actually I had to look that one up after I saw it. It's read "ono" and it means axe/hatchet.

Posted

No, I actually got that one because I could find it. It's the one after that that I can't quite see... :<

Knuckle, I swear to yaoigami... don't even.

I FOUND IT

used in 飛ぶ which is to fly. Eugh my head hearts.

Chimetals likes this

Posted

Katawa Shoujo is the breast dating sim out there

no ifs, ands, or butts about it

overall though I find the more tame VN's out there to be ridickulously boring

Chimetals and Gilded Grace like this

Posted

See, I'm thinking of waiting. I've seen screen shots and things and emso's watched the anime and says it's really good. And it DOES look really good and it's on my list of things to do along with some other VNs (the horror one that I forget the title of all the goddamn time)

Katawa Shoujo isn't purely erotic. When I said that I meant something like maybe... Absolute Obedience and Hadaka Butler or the shitty dating sims on newgrounds mature section. Those things.

I did actually play it a bit and just forgot. I did Hanako's route because that's totally a thing I do... Chase after the quiet types... :/ I am a terrible person. It was fun though because I pretty much went through the route thinking "I CANNOT CRUSH HER HEART. MUST PICK BEST OPTION HRNRNNRNNNG"

I also heard Rin's was maybe one of the more interesting ones?

Hatoful Kareshi has sparked some surprising level of feels apparently. I probably enjoy it more than I should e-e. Note that there's a secret route in the full version that explains some things. Nothing explains Okosan, though. Nothing. He is just the most birdy of birds.

Waiting for the localization is what I'd actually recommend over reading the current translation. It has a few bugs and grammar/spelling errors that the are being fixed in the localization along with a few other good changes. So, yeah, just wait 2-3 months and you'll be happy you did.

Also, yeah, I just thought since it had sexual scenes, maybe it wouldn't be allowed? I've heard that Rin's is the best of them all as well. The way I've heard it for how good the girls' routes are would look like this Rin > Lilly/Hanako > Emi > Shizune, but that's just from what I've heard.

I wasn't saying Hatoful Kareshi was bad or something like that, just that it hasn't made me want to play it. Especially since when I original downloaded it and tried to play it, it didn't work. I'm pretty sure the new one I downloaded is good to go, though. Hopefully.

In other news, Knuckle is dum

Gilded Grace likes this

Posted

In other news, Knuckle is dum

Man, that's more like a the-sky-is-blue statement at this point. Really.

Ugh, the translation that I might end up using later on for HnKnA has bork'd English. Not that the rough one I'm doing right now doesn't have bork'd English but still... 

Gilded Grace likes this

Posted

Oh, speaking of visual novels and translations, I wrote a translation on Youtube for the demo of the absurdly long-named Corpse Party: The Anthology: Sachiko's Game of Love: Hysteric Birthday 2U (which looking back on it several months later, needs a lot of corrections), and I'm planning on attempting to write a translation guide for the full game and posting on Gamefaqs or a similar site.

Posted

I have never finished any VN, but I started Steins;Gate awhile back and tried to get back into it recently, I'll probably just keep holding it off until the official translation is out.

Actually, no, I'm going to go ahead and tell you all to read Juniper's Knot ASAP.

Juniper's Knot is a kinetic novel that was made with Ren'py, which is a free visual novel making program that runs on python. Being that this one is a kinetic novel, you're really just clicking through a story and it's just a nice short story really. The art is also pretty  :)

http://junipersknot.dischan.org/

Gogo!

I've actually been thinking about playing Juniper's Knot. I got Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos Episode I as part of the Groupees Build a Doujin bundle a little over a week ago, its by the same people who did Juniper's Knot, so I was going to play JK to see how quality their work is or whatever.

I could just start Dysfunctional Systems but I'm kind of holding off for the potential steam release, its on Greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152499587

Some others VNs I got from the bundles are Jisei, Kansei, and Cafe 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid (Android version anyway), mentioning incase anyone has even heard of these, they seem pretty obscure.