Visual Novels, otoge and the likes

59 posts in this topic

Posted

can you help me find more homosexual visual novels sayuri

Posted (edited)

can you help me find more homosexual visual novels sayuri

Absolute Obedience and Hadaku Butler but don't talk about them here.

Because there's no PURER love than VIOLENCE~

j031.jpg?v=11352230321

HnKnA in a nutshell

Edited by Bye (see edit history)

Posted

This poor thread. ;~;

Just pre-ordered the English localization of Steins;Gate (Twice, on accident. Getting that cancelled). Sadly, one of the translators said that since they're getting an ESRB rating for the game, so they can most likely sell it in regular stores, it'll be releasing in sometime during Winter 2013-2014 instead of within the month. It's alright, though... I can wait... I guess...

Sayubie likes this

Posted

I did terrible things while not playing Heart no Kuni no Alice...

Incredibly

Terrible

Things

YUSA KOUJI IS SCARY QQ

A thing I learned:

So, there's this thing called Visual Novel Reader and it's pretty great if your vn has no english patch, translation or whatever. It provides a machine translation and also allows the community to put in their own subs.

I spent the last couple of days going through machine translations, though... Lemme tell you... Lemme tell you how sad it was.

If tsu was ever just standing alone after ellipses... It translated to "...boobs"

The character would have this shocked expression on her face after some big reveal and then that translation appears.

A thing I learned 30 minutes ago:

I can't visual novel reader HnKnA wonderful wonder world because vnr makes my game crash.

I'm gonna try AGTH-ing it to see if I can at least force my way through translations.

At least reading characters won't be too bad ;-;

(AGTH gives me the lines from the game but does not actually translate anything)

((I'm going to kill so many goddamn trees for this game))

Posted

Ok so first off let me say that you should all go play the Zero Escape Series, which is 999 for the DS and Virtue's Last Reward for the 3DS. VLR is more or less the best visual novel. Thats not what this post is about though

So a month ago I read through 2 of the novels from the infinity series, which is done by the guy who does the Zero Escape series: Ever17 and Remember11

• Ever17 is about a group of people trapped in an underwater amusement park, which has a few days left before it implodes. It gets really crazy by the end.
  • Remember11 involves 2 people undergoing this weird personality transfer phenomenon, one of the two is trapped on a mountain after an airplane crash, and the other is in a psychiatric care facility. Also there are like 30 different endings in the game, most of which involve dying.

Note on playing Remember11, you do not need to get the best ending with Kokoro to unlock Satoru's route apparently. I didn't check til after I got Kokoro's good ending.

note on playing the game, ignore if you want to figure this part out yourself too:

You are apparently supposed to play routes like this Kokoro -> Satoru -> Kokoro -> Satoru etc. Basically, regardless of what ending you got on one route, you are SUPPOSED to play the other characters route immediately after saving system data (something it asks you to do when a route ends). I didn't do this, because I didn't realize that was what I was supposed to do until later, because initially you only have Kokoro's route and I didn't realize I unlocked Satoru's route til after I made it all the way through Kokoro's

They are both pretty rad, and have these crazy plots/plot twists that will blow your mind. Remember11 has a hidden plot that you won't even know is there if you don't look for it.

neither one is really much of a romance, although there is some romance in Ever17. Its not a dating sim is the point i am getting at.

Also Satoru in Remember11 is voiced by Dio and thats always a good thing

Posted

I bought Never7 and Ever17 for the PSP back when I was getting started on my Japanese studying, but I wasn't able to get very far in them at the time. I'm planning on getting back into them after I finish up Corpse Party Hysteric Birthday 2U.

Posted

How is Corpse Party Hysteric Birthday 2U anyway?

I mean, I've read about it here and there but...

How /is/ it?

Posted

I also played Narcissu which is only like an hour long. It and its sequel were Greenlit together on Steam, so check them out when they are released

Posted

How is Corpse Party Hysteric Birthday 2U anyway?

I mean, I've read about it here and there but...

How /is/ it?

It's actually really good. Despite being a non-canon comedy spinoff in a series full of horror games, I think it can stand alongside other entries in the series on its own merits. And after playing Book of Shadows, it's extremely therapeutic. It's nice to see the characters interacting and having fun without being horribly killed off for a while. Furthermore, many of the chapters actually have actual mini-plots to them, some more so than others.

And it's funny. Really funny. Often darkly funny, but still funny.

Sayubie likes this

Posted

And then I ignored all these spoilerific posts (Sorry) just to say that I've been reading the Chaos;Head VN, since everyone on /a/ says the anime is completely awful and that the VN is better than Steins;Gate. It's definitely got this beastly atmosphere that's gotten me thinking of awful delusions happening to me, but it hasn't gotten me hooked yet, as in I'm still on and off instead of looking forward to playing it every night, like what happened with Steins;Gate's VN, but that only happened on chapter 4 after certain events happened, so I'm hoping something interesting happens or some of these billions of questions start getting answered. I am on chapter 4 after all.

Posted

Oh is it just Chaos;Head's anime thats bad? I was always under the impression that it was bad in general. Tell me if its any good when its over, I might want to read it too

Posted

Btw, I realize now that BlazBlue's story mode (and by extension P4A's story mode, which is also done by Arc System Works) totally counts as a visual novel

In fact BlazBlue probably has the most in depth setting in a fighting game

Posted

So, I finally finished Chaos;Head after 30+ hours. It's strange how different it is from Steins;Gate, while also being extremely similar and creating a completely different atmosphere. I went in expecting Steins;Gate, but I guess that's why early on, I was kind of disinterested in it, but it started picking up after awhile and kept me hooked.

The true end is just as convoluted as Steins;Gate's... actually, even more so. In fact, it's DOUBLY convoluted compared to Steins;Gate's... I don't know if it's a true end, actually, but still. To get this other ending, you first need to complete the game, then play it again while correctly picking the right choice at 11 separate points. No indication of this at all. At least the good end is based off of several choices in a row that are actual questions instead of just whatever.

Enough of my banter though. I wasn't exactly in love with it in the beginning, but after awhile, it really started to grow on me. The atmosphere they set up is terrifying and I loved it. I only wish this one part weren't partially spoiled for me, but whatever. Overall, it was a pretty good VN. It stands up to Steins;Gate, but of course I love Steins;Gate more. It's just a 9 instead of Steins;Gate's 10. There were some parts in Chaos;Head that were a little scribblo anyway... even though there are parts like that in Steins;Gate, they're not AS scribblo, if you get what I'm laying down. Even so, if they had managed to create this kind of atmosphere in Steins;Gate, it could've been even better. The way it made my back shudder dozens of times when something frightening didn't even happen afterwards, but just me thinking something was going to happen really made the experience fantastic.

So, yeah, Chaos;Head is good. Wish the Robotics;Notes VN were available on PC and I'd jump onto that(several months from now) or if I knew Japanese, I'd definitely import the PS3 game, but I don't. Rough. I will, however, watch the Chaos;Head anime to see how badly they puppyed this up. After I watch something not depressing as bananas though.

Speaking of VNs, why are all VNs horror, harem, or a combination of the two? I was wondering this halfway through. Am I just ignorant and I don't know of any VN that isn't one of those or are they the majority and I'm not seeing the whole picture. Or maybe they're the poplar ones or the good ones. I guess there'd also be ecchi ones. I'm probably just ignorant.

Posted

I'm going to guess that horror and/or romance are the best at generating certain feelings that would keep the replay value high enough. I'm trying to imagine VNs with a focus on other genres but I don't think they come off as strong.

I mean, if the focus in VN is story-telling and choice-making, suspense/horror and/or romance are probably the things people will actually spend the time to think about or worry about. I'm also saying this with the assumption of suspense, horror and mystery being under the same umbrella of VNs.

(R18 romance games are weird.)

Posted

Read ever17 and remember11 and narcissu(it's like 1 hour long). They aren't harem or horror, unless you consider being trapped underwater or on a frozen mountain horror

The infinity series is pretty info dump though, it's the sort of thing Saha would like