Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Paranormal Vacation

13 posts in this topic

Posted

For years it has been a dream of Mine to visit the creepiest locations the East Coast has to offer. After Months of planning that day is upon me. 

Starting this Friday I will embark on a weeklong trip of supposed Paranormal hotspots up and down the East Coast culminating in Point Pleasant West Virginia, the site of the infamous Silver Bridge collapse and sightings of a mysterious cryptid called The Mothman.

Posted

Patiently awaiting your journal entries.

Gilded Grace likes this

Posted

And so it begins, the greatest vacation in the history of forever. Drive time to Amityville Long Island New York (traffic permitting) 3 hours. Check back soon for updates folks. 

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

In 1974 a man named Ronald DeFeo shot and killed six members of his family in their home at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville Long Island, New York. When he was arrested Defeo claimed that "voices" drove him to kill.

a year later The Lutz family moved in. During the first month they reportedly experienced frightning paranormal phenomena including the Father George Lutz being tormented by disembodied voices urging him to kill his family as Defeo did. 

The Lutz Family fled after 28 days and never returned...

The current owner Brian Wilson says that he has never seen Paranormal activity in the House, however the place is currently on the Market.

We arrived in Amityville at about Noon on Friday, the Address was at one point 112 Ocean Avenue but it was changed in an attempt to disguise it from visitors. The place has also been renovated, replacing the picture windows that were made famous by the film. However if you know what to look for, an imposing Dutch Colonial house it's easy to spot. 

We staked out the place for a bit and when we were confident the Owners weren't around we walked up and got some photos of the house. I wanted to stay a bit longer but a neighbor told us we were trespassing and that he'd call the cops. 

Before we left I wanted some type of souvenir so I grabbed a pebble from the Gravel Driveway. 

Next leg of the trip, Sleepy Hollow.

paranormal_vacation_amityville_by_savant
DR SHRUBBERY! and pheonix561 like this

Posted

First published in 1820 "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" tells the Story of Ichabod Crane a Schoolteacher who while vying for the hand of a young woman named Katrina has a run in with a spirit called "The Headless Horseman". The Horseman was a soldier, a Hessian mercenary who was decapitated by a Canonball during the American Revolution. 

While the story is fiction, author Washington Irving drew upon real world locations as inspiration for the story. Many of the landmarks in the story are still around to this day. 

We arrived in Tarrytown New York the area know as Sleepy Hollow at 3pm. Among the places we visited was the location of the "Headless Horseman Bridge", the bridge Ichabod crosses (in the story) to escape the Ghost, the Old Dutch Church that was built by the Dutch settlers of the area (a place Irving might've actually seen), The Sleepy Hollow Campgrounds where a stone carving of Ichabod Crane and The Horseman is on display and of course we visited the Grave of Washington Irving. 

Before we left I donated a drawing of the Headless Horseman to the Historical society of Sleepy hollow and Tarrytown. There's a website link below if you want to know more. 

Next we hit the hiking trails of Wharton State Forest the infamous New Jersey Pine Barrens, home to the Jersey Devil.

paranormal_vacation_sleepy_hollow_by_sav

the_headless_horseman_by_savantiromero-d

Posted

If I could sum up The Pine Barrens in one word it would have to be "Incredible". The forest is massive. it's hard to believe that a bustling Metropolis like New York City is only a few miles away from a seemingly endless ocean of Trees. 

Late August and early September is the best time to visit Bass River State Forest, one of the many Parks that make up the Barrens. The leaves are just beginning to change color and when the sunlight hits the leaves the forest seems to be on fire. 

As we trekked into the woods a breeze blew past shaking the branches causing the wood to creak and groan. The sound of bird calls and the hum of Cicada was very soothing while high above us tree frogs signaled that a threat had arrived. Looking at this vast forest I could see the possibility that a creature calls this place home. 

The reason for this leg of the trip centers on a local Legend of a cresture called The Jersey Devil. The story revolves around a woman simply referred to as Mrs. Leeds a "Piney Woman" (a term used to describe a resident of the Barrens) who learns that she is pregnant yet again (she already has 12 kids making this her 13th). Angered she curses her unborn child claiming that he is "of the Devil", this animosity continues until she is ready to give birth. 

Mrs. Leeds gives birth to a twisted creature, said to have a long neck with the head of a Goat, Bat like wings, horns, small arms with crawed hands and legs with cloven hooves. The Devil attacks it's mother and her Nurses then flies out the Chimney and into the woods. 

Despite being over 100 years old people today still report sightings of the Leeds Devil. The cryptid has become such a big part of Local Culture that the New Jersey NHL Hockey Team took the name Jersey Devils in honor of the creature. 

The Devil has also appeared in books, comics, movies and television including an Early episode of The X-Files. 

The next leg of the trip takes us to Gettysburg Pennsylvania, site of a deadly battle during the American Civil War as well as the Jennie Wade house, a reportedly haunted house where Jennie Wade, the only Civilian casualty of the Civil War lived.

paranormal_vacation_pinebarrens_nj_by_sa
pheonix561 likes this

Posted

We were gonna tour the Gettysburg battlefields today, but it rained most of the day so we decided to stay in. Hopefully it'll be nicer tomorrow.

Posted

Wait, the battle of gettysburg is paranormal?

Posted

Wait, the battle of gettysburg is paranormal?

Not the battle but the field itself. People touring the field report all sorts of paranormal phenomena.

Posted

Tyrion, you post something about a strange happening and then mysteriously never post again

This is awesome, by the way

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I'm not as fit as I thought I was, all this walking around is murder on my back. Well that's what you get when you sit at a desk all day. 

I wrote the following journal entry yesterday after touring the battlefields but was so tired afterwards that I slept for hours when I got back to my Hotel. 

The Gettysburg Battlefield was the inspiration for this whole trip. It all began with an episode of Unsolved Mysteries and a rather creepy video of what appeared to be soldiers marching in formation going into the woods and vanishing.

The first thing to hit me when I climbed out of the car was how flat and open it was. aside from walls and battlements it was just one big field. The expanse overlooked the Town below and I thought "wow that's really close", you could probably hear the canons used in the battle echoing down there. 

I remembered reading that citizens of Gettysburg would actually spectate during battles, like it was a twisted form of entertainment. 

My Dad brought with him a book of photos taken during the war and we tried to find the locations depicted in them. Amazingly after 200 or so years little has changed and we were able to find a good many locales. 

I didn't have any paranormal experiences there but I can see why it's possible. The entire are has a feel to it, a sort of presence that grabs at you and doesn't want to let go. I did however almost....maybe hear something. 

I could've been the wind, but for a minute I swear I heard moaning. Not the stereotypical ghost moan mind you but rather a moan of deep sorrow or sadness mixed with pain. In my mind I see a Union or Confederate soldier lying on the ground, he's been hit by a shell and had his arm or leg blown off and is slowly bleeding out and in weakness or delirium is calling for help that will never come. 

This place has personal signiftcance to me, my great great grandfather on my Grandmothers side was a veteran of the Civil War. He faught for the Union Army with his four Brothers. 

Two of the Brothers died in Battle, one died later on following an amputation and one went insane from grief. Only my immediate ancestor made it out unscathed. 

Our stay in Gettysburg is far from over, our next stop is the Jennie Wade house a reportedly haunted house in Gettysburg. 

paranormal_vacation_gettysburg_by_savant

Mary Virginia Wade or Jennie to her friends was a seamstress during the Civil War. She moved from her home in Central Gettysburg to help her sister Georgia who had recently given birth. The house was very near to the Battlefield, 150 bullets hit the house on the first day alone. 

On July 3rd Jennie was in the kitchen kneading dough for bread when a Minié Ball, the common ammo of the barrel loading Rifle ripped through the door and killed her instantly. 

There is a mystery as to which side killed her and why. The accepted theory is just bad luck while some contend that Jennie was murdered by a Confederate Sharpshooter who she had spurned (Jennie was Married). Unfortunately her husband Jack Skelly didn't survive the War either. He died of injuries sustained during the Battle of Winchester Nine days after Jennie.

paranormal_vacation_gettysburg_wade_hous

Tomorrow we finish the trip with a visit to Point Pleasant West Virginia, home to the Mothman.
pheonix561 likes this

Posted

This is the end my friend, this is the end. 

We found ourselves in Point Pleasant West Virginia yesterday, This seemingly normal place h as seen it's fair share of weirdness though.

It all began in November of 1966 when people began seeing a strange man-sized Bird like creature. These sightings were sporadic in Nature and then stopped altogether until they picked up again around December 1967. Around this time there was also sightings of lights in the sky and weird visitors to town who seemed out of place (people would later claim they were alien hunting Men in Black). This weirdness culminated in the collapse of the Silver Bridge that resulted in the deaths of 46 people.

The Mothman remained a local Legend until Author John Keel wrote about his investigations of it in his 1975 book "The Mothman Prophecies" (he was an investigative journalist during the 66,67 sightings). In 2002 a film based on the book was released starring Richard Geere. 

We didn't stay long in Point Pleasant, we've been there twice before and my Dad wanted to get to my Aunt's house so I just got a few pictures, the Mothman Statue, the plaque honoring the Silver Bridge victims and a shot of my own personal copy of The Mothman Prophecies.

paranormal_vacation_mothman_by_savantiro

pheonix561 and DR SHRUBBERY! like this

Posted

Guess what, we have a bonus entry....well not really. I thought I'd post some pics from my Grandfather's Farm. 

This is my Grandfather's Farm in New Haven West Virginia, it's a comfortable old house that sits on 400  acres. This trip was bittersweet because this'll probably be the last time I stay here. After my grandparents died earlier this year the family made the decision to sell. 

paranormal_vacation_grandpa_s_farm_by_sa

DR SHRUBBERY! and pheonix561 like this