Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Not a piss-take.

22 posts in this topic

Posted

This is something that is actually very 100% serious, and I would not ever joke about something like this for the love of GOD. So yeah, this is real and it has happened.

Padraig died last night. He died of an accidental overdose when doing some drugs while in a Skype call with friends. They heard him freaking out and called an ambulance but it was too late, and he died.

17 years old, he enjoyed reading about history of countries, looking at maps, and studying Linguistics in his free time. He was at my house for a week, and then I stayed down there for a week. I left on Friday afternoon, hugged him and his mother (good family friends) before heading off for the plane, saying it'd be good to come back again sometime. He just got a great new computer and he was in awe of the power for playing games that it had, as was his dad. Boards of Canada was his favourite band lately. We started watching Deadwood, we got into episode 2 and he was really getting into it. We never got round to watching episode 3. He was reading Tropic of Cancer on his Kindle. Last message I got from him was yesterday when I send me a birthday message on Twitter. His life was very in-progress, and he had a future full of plans.

If you make this an anti-drug discussion I will goddamn murder you you cunt. I don't want people insulting his intelligence. He was a very intelligent person, and from who I've asked, his mixture of drugs shouldn't be fatal, and so it must have been something else. I trust that he knew what he was doing, and believed completely that he would be okay. But he wasn't. Some things like the cut of a drug batch you get can do you in, or any other medication you might have taken, though I don't believe he would have overlooked that.

If we take anything out of this it's that if you really do plan on doing drugs, for the love of christ don't do it alone. Unless it's something basically harmless like cannabis. But not serious shit. Please and thanks.

And because I've joked about it recently, no, I do not do drugs. But I do respect responsible use. If you check what you're taking, and you have someone to watch over you, I believe that you can do as you will. But understand the risk involved in this kind of thing. You might have some bad stuff, and you might not be so lucky to be caught in time. Patrick wasn't, and he was a smart a person as I'd ever known.

whonWoffThino likes this

Posted

When I heard the news from cassandra, and when I heard the dosage of the drug he was taking, I asked a friend of mine about it who is very well versed in substances like these. If I'm not overstepping my boundaries, I'd like to mention that he took half a gram of ecstasy and two hits of acid. My friend said the dosage Patrick took should not normally have been fatal, but it's still possible for it to happen for what he was taking. Apparently seratonin toxicity is always a risk when taking ecstasy. To be honest, I have no idea what that actually means or how it works, but it sounds to me like Patrick thought that, even if he accidentally got whatever bad effect could come from ecstasy, it wouldn't be fatal. I sincerely doubt the LSD had anything to do with it.

I'm frustrated. Part of me wants to be sad and part of me wants to be pissed. This isn't the first time I've lost a friend to an overdose like this, though it was the first time it was an accident. I don't know Patrick as well as Robbie did, but all in all it doesn't sound like he was just looking for a cheap thrill. It sounds much more like he just wanted what most of my friends who do drugs want; to explore themselves and their consciousnesses and so on. I don't entirely agree with it, but of all the reasons to do drugs as responsibly as possible thats one I can tolerate and even respect, and as long as they stay away from the heavier stuff, I'm not complaining. So if he was really looking for something stupid he'd have done cocaine, or meth, or heroine, in which case I'd just be all out pissed. But to the best of my knowledge, you don't get addicted to e. And I'm sure he knew way more about what he was doing than I do. Patrick never came across as a mindless addict to me.

I'm genuinely upset that this happened. I didn't know patrick as well as cascade, or robbie, or cassandra, so speaking honestly and openly, I'm more worried about you three than anyone else right now. Mostly because it's too late to be worried about patrick anymore. But I'm going to go ahead and parrot what robbie said; Please, please be careful with what substances you do. I was really angry when I found out he overdosed on accident, but when I heard it was just ecstasy, I'm certain he wasn't being an idiot, and just made a mistake. I'm frustrated, and I'm sorry it happened.

Teto and Ammonsa like this

Posted

I'll be proper honest with you. I felt a greater connection to him as I ever had with my own brothers, who are both over 10 years older than me and so grew up a little separate. But Patrick was younger and smarter than me, and we had the same sense of humour and the same taste in music. Enough that we liked the same stuff but just discovered it at different times. We fell out a lot a few years ago when we would meet up, but the last two times I saw him, last year and this year, we'd gotten on really well. We knew each others boundaries a bit better by then. He wasn't a huge part of my day to day life, but he was really important to me as a friend and almost as family. He was kind of like the family I'd chosen for myself.

Sorry if that's verging on emotional overload, but that's pretty much it.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

That is very unfortunate, especially because I never got to know him and he was relatively close by when I was in Scotland :sadlink:

And for the record I do not think anyone would suspect you of joking around here Teto, so please don't worry too much about us laughing this off or something.

Ammonsa and Teto like this

Posted

That is very unfortunate, especially because I never got to know him and he was relatively close by when I was in Scotland :sadlink:

And for the record I do not think anyone would suspect you of joking around here Teto, so please don't worry too much about us laughing this off or something.

Even if I was joking, I doubt anybody would find it very funny anyway. Keep in mind that I've made light of suicide before, a while ago when I wrote a suicide letter and posted it on here before going to bed. I've made very cruel jokes in the past.

Posted

Maybe you've made cruel jokes in the past, but you're different now.

Teto likes this

Posted

Yeah, I know I've grown out of that and respect people a lot more than I did in the past.

Posted

He was a really cool guy. I didn't talk to him as much as I might have wanted to, but we always had good conversation and I felt that we'd probably be good friends IRL. It's really bizarre to know that he had a presence on the forum, even though it wasn't very prominent, but now he's gone, and he's not out there living life. In the end I can't say much else.

Posted

Oh my god.

I am in complete, utter shock right now. I can't even respond to this.

I know you've given us the information but I'm just thinking, "What? Why?" I can't wrap my head around that this is someone we know. That Robbie knows very closely. Wow, god. I'm in such shock and reading that, that he was on Skype with friends...that just chilled me.

Robbie, I am so sorry.

Teto and Ammonsa like this

Posted

I don't wanna be a douche, and the more I talk, the more likely I'll come off as such. So I'll keep it short. 

This sucks. I didn't really know him, but he's Hnet. So. I mean, wow. This just sucks. 

Teto, Ammonsa and Duseindunlids like this

Posted

I honestly don't know what to say here. I know I'm not the most active member of these forums or that I was all that close to Padraig, but a feel like I have a connection to this community and everyone in it and this really is upsetting to me. No one should have to die like that, especially at his age.

Posted

I'll say a prayer for him tonight.

I didn't know Patrick that well, but I do know how losing a best friend feels.

I'm sorry, Teto. 

Ammonsa, pheonix561 and Teto like this

Posted

Oh my god this is very saddening to hear about. I am really, truly sorry to hear about this, and only wish I could have known him better.

I am sorry for your loss, and the loss to this community.

Posted

This was played at his funeral just as I was walking out of the church.

and Daft Punk biy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5PRj7KPkE

And this one is now funeral music, mentioned by him at some point in the two weeks I was with him as being a song he'd have at his funeral. Not even jokin'. This was playing in the crematorium.