Zelda Director wants WiiU game without Story

10 posts in this topic

Posted

http://gengame.net/2013/09/aonuma-my-ultimate-goal-is-to-create-a-game-without-a-story/

So it's a bit of a weird thing to ask for in a zelda game, which are typically story focused games, but director of the zelda series Eiji Aonuma wants the next zelda game to be lacking in story. Not without a story entirely, just one that is set by the player more instead of being already planned and established by the game. To quote from the article:

What I really, really want to create, what my ultimate hope or goal is, to create a game without a story – not to say that the story is nonexistent, but it’s a story that isn’t already created. It’s a story that the player, in interacting with the space or environment, creates. So, a story that is defined by the player, not one that is already prepared, and a game that just kind of follows that path, if that makes sense.

It's a very interesting idea, but to be honest, it sounds like he just wants to create skyrim or something. What do you guys think?

PrimaGaga and Infakly like this

Posted

Haha i was JUST about to post this! 

1- I did think of Skyrim when reading that a few mins ago. 

2- It sounds interesting, my curiosity is perked.

3- While I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet, I most deff trust Nintendo. Some of their games have been better than others, but overall, I regard Nintendo as the best company. I'm rarely disappointed. 

If they wanna try something new, I trust it'll be thought out and good, and not a shit game based on a whim or fad.

Posted

Yeah, just reading it makes it seem like a bad idea to me at first, but Eiji Aonuma does good work and if he wants to implement it then I'm sure he can do it well.

PrimaGaga and T1g like this

Posted

I had a pretty good facebook conversation about that article with my friend, Amy, and it lead us to discussing our "dream game" and i put in my 2 cents about where I think gaming should go. Wut do you guys think about my ideas on shared gaming experiences? I'd really like to know wut you all think. :>

amy_zps98f50bce.png

Posted

So it's a bit of a weird thing to ask for in a zelda game, which are typically story focused games

You need to play one of these games sometime, buddy.

T1g and ZestyLemon like this

Posted

pheo says it like he has confirmed for himself that the games are story focused

なべ likes this

Posted

Zelda kind of sucks

What is a zelda?

なべ, Cirt and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

I could see this working really well for the series if done right.  The common complaint I've seen among consumers is that people are kind of tired of the same old same Zelda mechanics.  While I think that part of what Zelda is IS those mechanics, have a more non linear, sandbox rpg type game would be kinda cool in my opinion.

I think there would still be the main quest type story, but I would be curious to see what Nintendo could pull off as far as a truly engaging hyrule that really pulls the player in and gives them real investment in the future beyond collect these things to defeat the dark lord Ganon, again.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I can imagine maybe a multiple-endings kind of thing, but where each ending is a different success. The story drives toward a different end, where the big-bad's actions are influenced by how you approach the challenges the game sets. Say for instance the big bad has lots of different plans he would switch to if you messed up some of his plans. You ultimately destroy his plans no matter which route you take, but each time you can always find a new end. There's got to be a limit to how you can change it, since there has to be a limit to how much the writers can account for, but there could be plenty different ways the story goes depending on how you interact with the enemy.

I'd like to see a game like that. Sure would puppy up the timeline though.

Not necessarily a sandbox game, because Zelda just wouldn't be the same like that, but more of a branching storyline like that. Where the big bad more or less keeps tabs on you, and changes his plans depending on your movements. You might ruin some of his plans, while neglecting to mess with some others, which come to bite you in the ass later on, as he uses them in new plans. Like if you destroy a machine of his in a side quest, he then can't use it later in a main event, while if you don't do that sidequest, you have to face it in a different setting in the main story. That kind of thing, if you catch my drift. Seems a reasonable idea for a game. Not sure how well it'd work, but whatever. It'd be something I'd like to see tried with an action game. And not just bad endings and good endings. Maybe just good and better, and not just the endings but the final boss, the setting, and the challenges you have to face.

I've been playing 999 a lot lately.

SilverAlchemic likes this