Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I felt that this was important

9 posts in this topic

Posted

So, I wasn't going to watch this video at first, but then I realized that this is in "Serious Discussion" and the first post is literally just a video and three people have liked the post without even commenting. I hope that everyone just didn't have the time since it's 9 AM, but whatever.

The way he talks is awful, but disregarding that, he brings up a good point about the censorship on Youtube not being as up to par as it should be. Hopefully, Youtube will fix this in the future because if I ever decide to make a video series, I'd rather not have this happen to me.

One of the points he brings up with them spending money on their own Kickstarter and putting up fake reviews is done by tons of other companies, the fake reviews at least. I feel like he's only criticizing them on it because they did something harmful to him, although it's also a video about them, but still.

I don't know, I feel like a lot of his points are just dumb, but maybe I'm dumb. The only point that was really good was that companies shouldn't be able to censor videos so easily, in my opinion.

But, honestly, if you're going to put something in serious discussion, actually talk about the topic in your post? I don't see how this couldn't just be in casual discussion if you didn't even want to start off the conversation with your own opinion on the topic. I seldom browse this part of the forum, so I can't really say if this happens a lot, so don't be upset if this happens more than just this thread.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Nothing makes me ignore a video harder than when it's just posted with no explanation or context.

I'm more agreeing with muffin than ganging up on the poster. I probably wouldn't watch it even it there was an explanation. Just saying.

Posted

Fair video, fair points within.

Not worth my watching without context, but.

Posted

I'm sorry.

I was honestly kinda afraid to put my opinion in there. I also just didn't know what to add to the post. I put it in serious discussion because at the time I thought it was at least a little serious of a topic. 

I don't know.

Posted

This is mostly superfluous to the discussion topic, but I also don't like his speaking style either, just for how he describes things and how he emphasizes things, moreso subconsciously because his channel is called "The Cynical Brit", which is one of those weird fedora-wearing titles that invoke the fact that snarky British-sounding video game reviewers are so trendy, the fact that it's spoken by a person who was raised with a certain accent and has a certain snarky attitude has to appear in the title of the channel.

It was half a defense video for his own sake, half a message that he's fed up with game studios' abuses of their power. The thing that was wrong with his attacks on Wild Games Studio is that he didn't back them up with other reviews, I guess. Like, he only pointed out the weird fake reviews, but to someone like me, I don't know what the reviews were like. He did describe them as bad, but he could have like, cited the average rating minus the fake ones, flashed the numerous amount of critical posts in comparison to the non-critical ones, used timecodes, pointed out consistent English errors in the different fakefolk, or whatever. He didn't internet detective this enough, which does make it seem like he was just being mad about the creator being a dick, rather than at the injustice, and therefore didn't feel the need to provide more logical comparative evidence to vilify some guy who slighted him. The fact that he said the permission was "strongly implied" was a bad mark for me, because he really should have asked for clarification on whether or not he could make the video in clear yes-or-no format. I didn't feel the implication was strong at all.

That all being said, it is pretty sad that studios would even have to stoop so low. The search ranking thing honestly kinda' makes sense to me, for like duplicate trailers or something (just because it's so hard to find official trailers sometimes), but for critical reviews, that's just underhanded. I would really honestly like the official stuff to appear at the top of the page regardless, just because I'm not a fan of dumb review channels and Lets Plays, but something like Google just doesn't seem like it should do sponsored search ranking. I feel it would dirty up the system. For a search engine, the search ranking should just be left the way it is, and official stuff should just come from knowing what to Google. "Some Game official trailer" and whathaveyou.

Posted

I'm sorry.

I was honestly kinda afraid to put my opinion in there. I also just didn't know what to add to the post. I put it in serious discussion because at the time I thought it was at least a little serious of a topic. 

I don't know.

I think I am the same way. I like to have the introductory post be neutral or something, allow people to reply and then kind of start talking about it.

Posted

I didn't really know how to respond to it after watching it, so i cant really blame you for the lack of description or anything.

youtubes censorship has always drivin me nuts, though.

Posted

I actually thought it had been blocked in Australia so i didnt watch it

Teto likes this