Sayubie is writing a paper on hnet

59 posts in this topic

Posted

i forgot whatever the initial intention of the gender thread was. if i recall right, i made it? i dont feel like checking. or reading dumb!past!me's posts, ever.

Posted

Which thread was that, even? I don't remember any crazy fiascos in a gender thread.

Posted

now that is a successful memory repression.

Posted

Yeah, I was never a part of the gender thread, so...

Posted

I honest to god have no idea what happened in the gender thread, yet I keep seeing people alluding to it every now and again. I've gotten as far as this without getting involved and it seems like whatever the problem was resolved itself, though, so.

Posted

it was more like a lot of yelling, then lots of yelling about the same opinion, then lots of agreeing to never try to talk about that topic again, except in allusions to how awful it was.

Posted

I... which thread?

Posted

You've all been great people and I love all of you.

Saha's still the worst oniisan, though.

Posted

you're a bit too tsun right now...

Posted

I'd link the topic but I feel that it no longer represents the majority of people who posted in it. Suffice to say you are all better people now. to answer the questions:

-The gender thread was caused by a lack of exposure to the topic on some people's part and a heavy exposure on others. People with no understanding of gender not equaling sex were having a hard time acclimating to a groundbreaking concept and people with deep understanding were naturally eager to encourage them accepting the concept. The best way to avoid this in the future is to understand that concepts sometimes take getting used to before you straight-up accept them.

-The value compromised most by the Gender thread was friendship, plain and simple. We all want to get along, and when the concept of gender =/= sex divided opinions people got scared that we wouldn't be able to get along. You can't really walk away from a topic like that either though, because it compels you to stand up for something you deeply believe in. We were stuck between a rock and a hard place, and it scared a lot of people because it made the value of friendship so hard to keep.

Cascade likes this

Posted

"Groundbreaking concept"

"Naturally eager"

This is biased. What are your sources

Posted

i consulted the ancient spirits with my magics and they told me

Posted (edited)

Did they transform you into Mum Ra, the ever living?

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

Aw shit I just found this thread ah shit