Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Apologies to Pheo: A Link Between Worlds/Majora's Mask Discussion.

12 posts in this topic

Posted

So yesterday I saw a new trailer for A Link Between Worlds, featuring some of the game's music. But there was also something very interesting in it too-

majora_zpsd3c79d1c.png

Now, at first I just passed it off as a cool Easter egg. But Pheo was all like "nuuuuuu it's for realsies." I still didn't believe him since, you know, it's Pheo. But then my friend Amy (total LoZ/Video Game fanatic) pointed me to some links that might say otherwise.

http://www.gamesradar.com/zelda-link-between-worlds-players-will-find-some-information-about-majoras-mask/

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/55422/aonuma-majoras-mask-fans-should-play-a-link-between-worlds/

Apparently, Aonuma has been hinting that there may be a bigger connection to the game Majora's Mask beyond simple Easter Eggs. There are even fan theories that the Other World, now known as "Lorule" may actually be Termina.

http://www.gengame.net/2013/10/theory-time-the-other-world-in-a-link-between-worlds-is-termina/

As cool as this all sounds, I'm still taking it with a grain of salt. But now that an official timeline has been established and presented to the public... I unno maybe they are trying to connect the games in a more direct fashion. 

What do you guys think? Does this make you more excited for the game, or maybe less? What are your concerns about this theory and how it may affect the timeline/game universe?

Posted

LETS ALL IGNORE PHEO AND HOW HE WAS RIGHT ABOUT THERE BEING MORE THAN JUST ONE SPLIT IN THE TIMELINE AND HOW THE NEXT GAME WAS GOING TO BE TAKING PLACE AFTER ALTTP AND HOW MAJORA'S MASK ON THE WALL IS IMPORTANT AND HOW HE'S JUST LITERALLY RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING ALWAYS

Anyways, the bigest thing I'm speculating on is Hilda's staff. I'm willing to bet there's a strong correlate between hyrule's triforce being most often depicted as 2D/Lorule's apparently being 3D, and Link going 2D in this game. I'm just betting on the fact that they swap back and forth based on that 2D/3D relationship. Since Link Clearly does that in the game, I mean. Maybe it works in reverse for the people from Lorule or something? But one way or another there's a definite link between those two things.

Posted

LETS ALL IGNORE PHEO AND HOW HE WAS RIGHT ABOUT THERE BEING MORE THAN JUST ONE SPLIT IN THE TIMELINE AND HOW THE NEXT GAME WAS GOING TO BE TAKING PLACE AFTER ALTTP AND HOW MAJORA'S MASK ON THE WALL IS IMPORTANT AND HOW HE'S JUST LITERALLY RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING ALWAYS

sounds like a plan

Posted

I wanna know where this game fits into the timeline. The official timeline says that after Ocarina of Time the timeline diverged in three paths. 

Link went back to his childhood and had his adventure in Majora's Mask. But this game is a sequel to A Link to the Past which falls under the Hero's Defeat timeline......whow serious mind freak! 

What if Lorule is as you say Termina but a version in the parallel timeline that was destroyed and rebuilt because Link wasn't there to stop Majora from crashing down the Moon. They say It takes place six generations after ALTTP, that's more then enough time to recover from an impact on the planet. I mean the Moon wasn't all that big it was about the size of Clock Town and the town wasn't all that big anyway. 

Clocktown2.gif

Judging by the ease of traversing it I'd put Termina at maybe a half mile across, it takes almost no time to run from one end to the other as well as walking the outer wall. And the Moon didn't even reach a terminal velocity, it was just hanging in the sky not in space. The damage to the land would've been minimal at best only clock town would've got the worst of it.

So taking into account the size of the moon, the relatively small distance it fell and the six generation gap I say it is very possible that Lorule is Termina after the Moon crashed down on clock town. 

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

I haven't played Majora's mask yet, so I can't say anything for certain. But would link not ever going to Termina actually end in it's destruction? I can only wonder because I know the game had a lot to do with the skull kid, but the skull kid was originally introduced in OoT, right? And, with the mask being on the wall of that weird guy's hut so many generations after termina would have been destroyed, would the mask have fallen into this weird guy's hands like that?

I guess what I'm saying is, all of us know that the timeline has split into three ways now, and we know that this is the timeline where the hero failed in OoT. But there's plenty of places to die in that game, and we have no way of explicitly knowing where Link failed. Maybe this is their first step towards saying how he died, by saying "He never reached the skull kid in the lost woods." So the skull kid never ran off to termina, and termina was never destroyed, and the mask just hangs out on the wall of that hut, still waiting for it's chance to shine. Of course, anyone who has played majora's mask can prove me wrong pretty easily, but I still think this might be their first step towards hinting at where, when, and perhaps how or even why, Link died in OoT.

It also means those two witches who combined to make Twin Rova never went to Termina either because they were too busy reviving ganon and not dying, so uh, if that means anything, then.

Posted

I think it's been established that Link was killed in his final battle with Ganon in the "Hero fails" timeline. And yes I do believe the events of Majora's Mask would've occurred regardless of Link being there or not. The Mask Salesman has stated that he often travels looking for masks to sell and Skull Kid would've still been angry at his friends (the four guardians) for leaving him. 

Without Link there Skull Kid still would've attacked the salesman, stolen the mask, been possessed by it and he would've been compelled to bring the moon down. The only reason link got involved in the story was the Skullkid stealing Epona. Link chased him from Hyrule to Termina and it stands to reason the Skullkid was going there anyway.

Posted

I don't know if Link died in the final battle with ganon or not, but I only say that because I've never heard of any source that reliably says "Link died at this point in OoT to trigger the Alttp timeline." I think it might just be that we hear that, and assume it must have been in the final battle with Ganon. But I don't want to rule out the possibility that he might have died somewhere else. If link died by some other cause in the game, it would put a lot of importance on that thing. It's not like battling ganon was the only important event in OoT and the zelda timeline, right?

And if I remember correctly, Link met skull kid in the lost woods, right? I have no idea if this makes any difference or not, but children who enter the lost woods that aren't kokiri get lost and die, right? I'm saying maybe the skull kid died because link never came after him. I could easily be wrong about that happening though.

Posted

Posted

I haven't played Majora's mask yet, so I can't say anything for certain.

I immediately disregarded the rest of your post.

WHAT THE puppy ARE YOU DOING IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED MAJORA'S MASK YET JESUS CHRIST IT'S ALREADY 13 YEARS OLD

Posted

I WAS WRONG ABOUT MY SPECULATION ABOUT THE SKULL KID OKAY CIRT OKAAAAAAAY

Posted

Okay so we knew Majora's Mask was in the game. But now that I'm playing it, I'm really seeing a possible connection between Lorule and Termina. There is apparently a Mask Cult that use the Dark Palace as a place of operation. Spooky, Dude.

Edit: The Cultist worship the Helmasaur King. Which totally makes sense because he wears a mask too.