Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Invisible Bike Helmet

10 posts in this topic

Posted

"I'd like to just come out and tell you the secret of how their Hövding helmet works, but this video does such a nice job of building suspense I kind of don't want to ruin it. So I won't post any pictures showing the operation, and don't follow that link to their site if you don't want to spoil a minor surprise.

"Once you see how it works it all makes sense, and is a very clever solution that draws from a number of technologies that are well-established and familiar."

Full story: http://jalopnik.com/swedes-develop-invisible-bike-helmet-1460189477

"How It Works" portion of official site: http://www.hovding.com/en/how_it_works/

€399 euros, aka $533 or £33

Legitimately good video because it was actually surprising at the end, and it wasn't just some underwhelming feel-good shit.

whonWoffThino and pheonix561 like this

Posted

It was very clever. My two concerns are only that if someone initially suffers head trauma then the helmet will be too late to do anything, and, will anyone want to wear this in the summer when it's hot? Won't that get really really uncomfortable? Maybe it will be nice in the fall and winter and early spring, but once it gets warm out, who will want to wear that?

Posted

Maybe the heat discomfort is still preferable to wearing a helmet? I'm not sure what the climate is like in Sweden where this is made, but maybe they didn't consider that to be as much of a problem.

And how many injuries sustained by cyclists are actually initial head trauma? In what circumstances are you hit head-first? Maybe if you fell off your bike and your head fell in the path of a car, but then would a bike helmet help there either? Or if a car hit a ramp and went straight towards your head? Or if you got hit by a truck while leaning backwards so that your head was further back than the back wheel? I can't think of any time that would be a problem, and if I can then it's an extreme enough condition that it wouldn't look good for you even if you were wearing a regular helmet.

And because it's something people like to know about new technologies, it's priced on their site at €399 euros, aka $533 or £333. Which isn't that bad if you're a particularly dedicated casual cyclist. It seems a bit silly at first when you think 'people who cycle casually enough that they don't want to wear a helmet wont fork over that much money', except hipsters. But then again, I don't know how it is in America, but while here in the UK cyclists aren't taken very seriously, nor accommodated for, but in the rest of Europe cycling is a bit more commonplace, so you can cycle everywhere, while not really being 'serious' about it, like I would personally expect of cyclists where I'm from.

Posted

In american cities cyclists are taken, I'd say, semi seriously. There's been a few businesses I've seen pop up in both Saint Louis and, yesterday, chicago, where bikes and lockers are stored. Cyclists will ride their bikes to these places in the mornings and at night in their cycling uniforms with their work clothes in their backpacks, store their bikes and clothes in the proper facilities, change into their work clothes, go about their day, return, change, and go home. It's really interesting to see this business grow from the need for cyclists to ride efficiently and without getting their work clothes messy.

You're definitely right about the head thing, though. It's the one flaw I can see in it initially, yet at the same time it's very rare for a cyclist to get hit directly in the head, so. I'm still worried about the heat thing, but if it's cold like that in scandinavia all the time then it shouldn't be an issue.

Posted

Or just wear this:

cool_motorcycle_helmets_24.jpg

wheeeeeeeee old moviessssssss

Posted

To whoever is saying "what are the chances of getting hit in the head?": Your head is pretty much your most valuable body part, though

pheonix561 and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

not more valuable than my heheheh... "largest muscle..."...........heh

Posted

no my uh. uh. heh. uh. you know.

Posted

Sucks I actually knew about this beforehand. v_v I watched the whole video tho I knew the surprise.

It's a bit of clever technology. People really should wear safety devices, and bike helmets are really only supposed to sustain one crash. I think it's a good alternative, and maybe actually offers more coverage in the case of a tumble.

I think being hit by a car is the statistically least likely accident to happen to a bike rider tho. Bad falls are extremely more common.