Weather

25 posts in this topic

Posted

My bedroom window is slanty and it's hailing so the window is being hammered with ice and I can't even hear my own voice when I talk. It's annoying.

What's the weather like where you are. Saha can tell us about riding a bike in uncertain weather.

Posted

too warm, I miss Scotland chilly evenings :sadlink:

Posted

It was 70°F and sunny....in November in Connecticut. puppying crazy weather.

Posted

It's puppying 70 degrees here even though it was in the thirties at most four days ago.

What the hell.

Posted

Yeah, we likewise had a spike in temperature yesterday. There's a really common saying in the midwest United States; "If you don't like the weather, wait half an hour". It really does fluctuate a ton though. But when it's good, it's great. I take note of the weather publicly so people can open their windows. I don't see why people would want to keep such beautiful weather out in the first place.

It got chilly pretty quick again though.

Agent Zako and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

I live in Chicago where the weather is like a honey badger.

Posted

WINDY AS puppy

Posted

a nice 25 degrees and sunny

Posted

I feel great that I saw "a nice 25 degrees" and actually thought "wow that does sound nice".

Adjusting to the celsius scale worked out it seems...

Ammonsa likes this

Posted

It's puppying 70 degrees here even though it was in the thirties at most four days ago.

What the hell.

Two words, climate change. Melting polar ice adds fresh water to the ocean which causes ocean currents to change shifting weather patterns and creates severe systems like Hurricane's Katrina and Sandy, Typhon Haiyan and the recent devistating storms down south.

Posted (edited)

Two words, climate change. Melting polar ice adds fresh water to the ocean which causes ocean currents to change shifting weather patterns and creates severe systems like Hurricane's Katrina and Sandy, Typhon Haiyan and the recent devistating storms down south.

"climate change" was enough. Or  saying "weather change" is better. Or just saying "weather" works perfectly.

Edited by fire_flamesX (see edit history)
SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

but for real we should be worried about climate change

Posted

I have a very odd relationship with climate change. I've ingested several very contradictory sources of information on the subject and came to the conclusion that I don't know a thing about how climate works and should just act on the safe side just in case we can actually make a difference.

I'm not too worried, though, because we'll surely develop super-weather-eco-laser satellite systems in the future that will keep the entire planet at a comfortable 72 degrees Fahrenheit at all times with no problems whatsoever.

Posted (edited)

keeping the entire planet at any one temperature would be a horrible planet-destroying fate, for most current life at least.

Differences in temperature from night and day cycles drive wind to move, which also kinda' keeps nature turning, which is dependent upon a lot of plants and animals that are designed for a specific kind of nature cycle and climate. As for climate change, I've never run into someone with actual points against it. In high school I argued with a guy on the bus that denied it. He even conceded that the earth's climate has gone up by small degrees. Something a lot of people fail to realize that even if the temperature of the whole world were to raise only by one degree Fahrenheit, that's a LOT of energy? Like, this isn't microwaving a bagel, it's the WHOLE PLANET, oceans, air, land, and all. That's a mind-boggling amount of energy. The ocean alone is ~1.3 billion cubic kilometers. Do you know of something trivial that can heat 1.3 billion cubic kilometers of water by one degree Fahrenheit? This kind of stuff is only made worse when the media reports climate change like there's a debate about it in the scientific community. There isn't. Like 99% of researchers and scientists and the articles you'll find them writing on the subject say we've got a hand in climate change. Sometimes you find a rare (mostly wrong) science guy who thinks he's onto something that can disprove manmade climate change and news outlets will bring him on board to ruffle some feathers.

The immediately real threat of climate change (particularly warming) is due to higher energy being introduced, with not only much more frequent, but much more powerful natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, and the like. I don't know how dramatic the thermal expansion of the entire planet's average temperature being raised one degree is, but if it's geologically significant, it could put more strain on the earth's tectonic plates as well. I remember reading an article saying if the earth's temperature raises about five degrees, we're pretty much done, in the sense that millions of people will be in shelters due to natural disasters at any one time, the ecosystem will be in ruins, and we'll have quite a non-trivial planetary problem. It seems natural disasters just keep happening. Really tragic ones too. Back in like 2010, I stopped and thought, were life-destroying mass disasters always this frequent? Apparently not. They're up 400% since two decades ago. This is horrifying.

Here's the chart for natural disasters versus global mean temperature versus carbon dioxide emissions since 1900.

eveyr2_view.jpg

201201-201212.png

TrendsGlobalEmissions.png

The biggest thing I have a hard time dealing with is climate change denialists-- like, who does it benefit to deny climate change? I can't even grasp that kind of attitude.

Edited by Sahaqiel (see edit history)
Cascade, Teto and Ammonsa like this

Posted

a nice 25 degrees and sunny

25 degrees F is so cold whats wrong with u losre