Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

So weird it can't possibly be true....or is it

51 posts in this topic

Posted

Welcome to So weird it can't possibly be true...or is it. 

The object is to post outrageous trivia, coincidences or statistics that are either 100% true or Downright fiction to try and stump others. 

True or False:

There are more cameras on Earth today then have ever been in the entire history of photography

CidaShipiniZH and pheonix561 like this

Posted

I'm going to say... true...??? this one seems like a no-brainer

Posted

I'm going to say... true...??? this one seems like a no-brainer

Yep last year alone 950 million smart phones were sold. Smart phone cameras outnumber traditional film cameras 20 to 1 and digital cameras 10 to 1.

True or False:

J.D. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" is the favorite book of Assassins.

Posted

Just one I think...I'm gonna say false

Posted

Yep last year alone 950 million smart phones were sold. Smart phone cameras outnumber traditional film cameras 20 to 1 and digital cameras 10 to 1.

oh man.... thats just so weird, it... it cant POSSIBLY be true!!!

Teto and Ammonsa like this

Posted

No, again it's true. 

Mark David Chapman the guy who killed John Lennon heavily identified with the book's main character Holden Caulfield and even tried to legally change his name to Holden Caulfield'm

John Hinckley the guy who tried to kill Ronald Reagan was arrested with a copy on him

As was Robert John Bardo the guy who killed actress Rebecca Schaeffer

It was found in Seung-Hui Cho's room following the Virginia Tech shooting

And among other books belonging to Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza

Some of these are obviously coincidental but it is eerie

True or False:

Razor blades have never been found in treats given to kids on Halloween

Posted

True or False:

Razor blades have never been found in treats given to kids on Halloween

This one's true. It's a myth that was spread around about them being in apples. I don't think there's ever been a recorded case of it actually happening.

Posted

This one's true. It's a myth that was spread around about them being in apples. I don't think there's ever been a recorded case of it actually happening.

Yep the only times razor blades have been found in Apples has been in cases involving attempted family homicide.

True or False:

On Average, twenty banks are robbed every day. 

Posted

Yep the only times razor blades have been found in Apples has been in cases involving attempted family homicide.

True or False:

On Average, twenty banks are robbed every day. 

Is this banks around the world or banks in america? I'm calling false in america, true around the world.

Posted

Is this banks around the world or banks in america? I'm calling false in america, true around the world.

In America it's true. The average take is $2,500, I learned that fact the day I started working security.

True or False:

Most lipsticks contain Fish Scales

teenskat likes this

Posted

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/bank-crime-statistics-2011/bank-crime-statistics-2011-q1

Bank Crime Statistics for 1/1/11 to 31/3/11

So that's like 90 days.

Commercial Banks: 982

Rounds up to 11 banks a day, for that period of time. Not 20, but still a heck of a lot, really, considering you don't really hear about them.

But hey, bank robbers might prefer robbing banks in the summer, when they get summer holidays from School. Although ski masks would be more comfortable and practical in winter. I would probably rob a bank in like, Autumn or something. I dunno. Point is, 20 banks per day might be attempted robberies, or maybe just based on more stats.

Dude this page even divides them up into race and gender; time of the week, time of day. Also, nice to see that in the "deaths" sections, only perpetrators are listed as having died in these robberies. 3 of them. Most of them occured on Fridays, and most of them occured from 11am to 1pm, though neither of those are vastly more than some other days or times. Maybe a couple extra robberies is all.

Looking for UK crime stats, there's a site basically called UKCrimeStats, and the "National Picture" page has a pretty cool disclaimer:

"The National Crime Picture page of UKCrimeStats covers England and Wales using monthly data from December 2010. Please feel free to reproduce these charts or tables in your own blogs or studies. All we ask for is attribution to UKCrimeStats. If you have any suggestions of further charts you would like to see, please email us on [email protected]. If we use it, we will credit you with the idea."

Like, how nice and down to earth must the people running this be? They just want to share the stats and let everyone contribute to the processing of their data. Bros. It's just cool to see a site that feels official and serious, just outright saying "It's cool man, share the love (stats)".

Ahhh stats.

Posted

True or False:

Most lipsticks contain Fish Scales

I feel that this is true

Posted

I feel that this is true

Again this is true

True or false:

There are more than 20 Million bricks in the Empire State Building

Posted

False, there's about 10 million