The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds General

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, I figured we needed a topic to talk about ALBW. I opened my game today so I've been playing it all day. I know some people already have it here on the forums, so let's talk!

As expected, spoilers below.

My reactions and thoughts:

First off, I'm high so this may or may not be rambling about things in a weird order. 

From watching the trailer a few months ago, I was pretty excited about the game. A Link to the Past is one of my favorite Zeldas, as it was the first I ever played and the story is so classic compared to the rest of the franchise. Meaning, a lot of subsequent games borrowed ideas and concepts from ALttP. I was excited to hear that we would be returning to this world of Zelda.

I'm about 5 dungeons into the game. So here is what I've liked so far:

The game follows the pacing of ALttP. Three mini dungeons, then 7 regular dungeons. They are more or less situated in the same areas as ALttP. The dungeons themselves resemble (??) the original ones, but others are completely revamped. So although the areas might seem familiar, it's still just as challenging to traverse and maneuver around the overworld.

The painting/drawing thing on the walls. I wasn't sure how to feel about it before I started the game but guys. It is SO awesome. Really fun to play around with, whether it's exploring or fighting some baddies when - poof - you're on the wall and they can't touch you (for like 6 seconds lol). It also brings a new dimension of puzzle solving that we haven't seen before. I am in love with it. 

The item rental and eventually, sales. I thought this was a really interesting way to present items in the game. At first I was like, what the HELL do you mean this Ravio fool is gonna just lend me shit and if I die, he takes away my shit only to be rented again. Well, it adds a freedom to the game that makes it a lot less linear. Dungeons are no longer centered around the "key item" of the dungeon that is later needed to progress in the overworld. You can go wherever you want, whenever - just make sure you've got the right equipment. I really really thought this was neat. 

Additionally, being able to just buy the items adds relevance to spending rupees. 50 rupees to rent an item, but 800 to buy? I found myself saving for items and searching out rupees in dungeons. I also liked how they just combined magic and ammo into one little bar. Sure it can be annoying to not be able to shoot 10 arrows in the matter of 5 seconds, but it makes you scramble around a little more to fight multiple enemies. 

uhh what else

Typical golden skulltula type thing, that combined item upgrades too. Really great incentive, and I enjoy finding the cute chirpy squiddies. They're really adorable ;;

Soundtrack is a spruced up ALttP OST, which is fantastic. Naturally the Dark World theme (Lorule theme in this game I guess) just sounded fantastic. I love that they did this instead of making a new soundtrack. 

There will be more stuff I will want to add, but 

tl;dr: buy it or get it for Christmas, you won't be disappointed. It's very fun and it's not easy either, not a lot of hand-holding. It's got a litle bit of everything and I wouldn't be surprised if this became one of my favorite handhelds <3

なべ and CidaShipiniZH like this

Posted

I havent played it in like a week, but I'm on the last dungeon. I'm said I wasn't able to upgrade my sword to lv 3 before that though, and I also only have the blue tunic. Is the red tunic better? I have no idea where to find it.

Posted

You can upgrade your sword to level 3 - the two master ores should be available? One should be in Dark Palace (if that's your last dungeon then lol) and the other should be in Lorule's Graveyard, which you can access through the Sanctuary in Hyrule. Lvl 3 is so OP tho

And red tunic is in Lorule's Castle, 4th floor I believe. I had to go back and get it today after I beat it. The game goes back to your last save after you beat the game

Posted

Dark palace was my favorite dungeon, but I'm pretty sure I got that ore. But I didn't know about the graveyard, thanks! I'm in lorule castle now so cool!

Posted

I absolutely enjoyed the game, the ability to become a portrait and switch camera views and perspectives was masterfully done. My one disappointment was the lack of an end-game, while it's not customary for there to be such an end-game, I think it would have greatly improved the game. Hero Mode just doesn't provide a player with enough incentive to endure the quadruple damage. While challenging, the reward is diminished by the fact that it's a passing thing and lasts no more than 30 seconds.

Overall, I was very pleased with the game and I can't fault Nintendo as it is a remake which does the original a lot of justice.

Posted

dudes I got the game for Christmas and I'm finally home from work and there are no family to spend time with so I'm going to start this shit RIGHT. NOW.

will report back later. i am going to jump-start this thread...

なべ likes this

Posted

T1g we need to do our podcast on this ASAP :o

なべ likes this

Posted

ummm I'd like to join in as well

なべ likes this

Posted

Excellent, we'll set up a date then if T1g is still good to go :D

なべ likes this

Posted

Okay, so I just finished my... fifth? dungeon and am about to start the sixth and holy crap it's time to lay out my thoughts so far about the game. spoilers obviously

So I just finished the Thieve's Hideout dungeon and WOW it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to free the Thief Girl from her cell lol. I keep forgetting to use my map and remember I have the painting gimmick power on hand. :x Boss nearly killed me, he hits HARD jesus. But I saved Whiny, Obviously-Not-a-Main-Character dude so yay.

But yeah, I also really like how not-so-linear the dungeon choices are! It's p. neat being able to decide what one you want to tackle next. Although I think I'm being railroaded into doing the Swamp Palace next. So idk if that will continue to be a feature throughout Lorule. I hope so it's neat. The dungeons themselves have been fun, sometimes I've gotten stuck and felt a bit frustrated, but it's not been TOO hard, so I've still been enjoying it. The bosses have all been easy though. But not boring. praise praise praise

I thought I'd find the fact that Hyrule and Lorule are p. much similar geography-wise to Hyrule and the Dark World from LttP. But I've been pleasantly surprised! It's been fun going to areas where there were secrets in the original but finding new stuff to explore and obtain instead of what you were expecting. And the new secrets and stuff dotted around the place are also nice. I particularly like the Treasure Room areas? Where they're centered around using one specific item and you get money for that? I liked the puzzle design of those!

painting gimmick has been an interesting gimmick for the gameplay and puzzles. it doesn't help that i keep forgetting half the time that i have to use it to cross pits and holes and whatever lol ): but I think it's p. neat! it's goofy :3

The new item system and renting and buying I'm a bit mixed about. on one hand it's cool to be able to have most of the major Zelda items on hand immediately and not for too much a price. I explored so much when I had all those items holy crap. so FUN. definitely feeling the zelda spirit there. but on the other hand... buying them permanently is so pricey. and I always end up spending so much money on the dumb minigames and side stuff lol ): so that's been kind of annoying buying them. especially since you need to have bought them to upgrade them ugh. But I think it's a nice, new innovative feature. certainly has mixed the zelda formula up a bit! also losing the rented stuff when you die is super annoying.

MAIAMAI OCTOPUS THINGS ARE SO CUTE. I feel I have to find all of them. Their crying is so cute but so sad ;; especially when i cannot reach them ;;;; i like how the "find 100 things" sidequest also includes upgrading items it's a cool addition.

I love the revamped soundtrack as well. really helps alongside the familiar areas and experiences to capture the nostalgic feeling of LttP. that and the little new additions have really made a great new Zelda. I might like it more than Skyward Sword at this point :x

oh, right, story. it's p. much similar to the LttP plot. although Lorule and Princess Hilda look pretty interesting. (I see what they did there). I wander what her deal's all about. I thought Yuga was a woman at first. disappointed that he wasn't a woman. he's very fabulous. and annoying. I like that the sages actually have semblance of personalities unlike LttP. although how is that annoying blacksmith boy from the beginning a sage in any form? OH RIGHT Irene the witch's apprentice though. SO CUTE. and snarky. did anyone else feel really sad when you found out from the witch that she got kidnapped? and when you ring her bell only the broom appears to fly you around the place? :C i felt so, so, so, SO SAD. gotta find her ASAP she's my fav )))):

so much rambling jesus I am so bad for this 

Posted

On my hero mode playthrough in the Dark World.

Just for the record early-game Hero Mode is tough as nails. Eastern Palace pretty much becomes Dark Souls-level difficult (think Sen's Fortress for a rough equivalent) because the traps are almost lethal and then a random baddie can pick you off in one hit. Bring a lot of bottles and fairies (not potions) for every dungeon.

Cirt likes this

Posted

I beat the game

oh wait was I signed up for the LBW podcast?

Posted

Octopus Baseball Game is most definitely the new, awful Zelda "minigame that has terrible controls" minigame. Holy crap how on earth are you supposed to get 100 points for the heart piece THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. it literally just decides for you if it will hit or miss, and where it aims. :|

Posted

Just got 120 points in that actually. :P

Posted

The octopus baseball game isn't hard at all once you figure out the mechanics and how to score.

The direction the ball flies depends on how quickly you swing. If you swing early, the ball flies to the right. If you swing later, the ball flies to the left. Pushing forward on the slider causes Link to aim at the front row, and enables him to hit the crabs. Pulling back on the slider causes Link to aim at the back row. You want to try to hit the golden pots. If you destroy all the pots around the golden pot without destroying the golden pot itself, you want to try to hit the crabs and reset the pots so that if you continue to miss the golden pots, you still get points. The birds are the most valuable targets, so you want to hit them whenever they appear. As long as you're targeting the middle row and get the timing fairly close, the ball will home in on the bird for an easy 20 points.