Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Happy New Year 2014: Vent about your year thread

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Or talk about nice things that happened too. Probably that more so.

So every time I think about the new year I kind of get choked up, and it's gonna be a special year for me. So I'll spoiler this since I fully intend on ranting about a lot of things.

When I was a freshman in college, back in 2010, I remember thinking that 2014 was so far away. Like all of my life decisions that I would have to make would happen and by the time it was 2014, I would have a lot of things figured out. I didn't anticipate it, but I lived and learned and yeah, I matured a lot into the person I am now. I don't consider myself a college kid anymore, and I'm very much an adult (not a very experienced one) and I've got bills to pay and jobs to worry about and all that stuff. This last semester was the last time I would be taking "classes" at my university; as many of you know, I'm in the education field and I will be student teaching starting in a week. Essentially a full time unpaid job.

I caught myself thinking about my school this morning. How I used to ride the bus to classes and look at the scenery around me. I'd walk home sometimes and just embrace the environment that I was in. I found myself thinking that I am going to miss this town very much when I leave. I'd gotten comfortable in a town after three and a half years and now, this is my home. And I was going to have to leave what I called home again in the coming year. Even now, I'm getting watery eyed at the thought of it.

What's weirder is that this new year is the year that I find a job for my career. 2013 was the year of retail for me and I'd learned about that life and how it isn't for me. I appreciate retail workers so much more now, and food service too. It'll be nice to shift to a salary and not a hourly minimum wage pay, and that brings up another point. I don't know where I'm going to teach yet. For all I know, I'm moving back to my parents to teach in the old county where I lived. A very strange thought. And then I'll have to take on all the things that involve moving in back with them. I'll have to find new friends and new hobbies and everything. I've got a lot of live adjusting to do in the next year. It's really scary.

Part of that adjusting also includes the eventual dumping of my current boyfriend. He and I have had a good run, but it's clear that our lives aren't moving at the same pace and we want different things out of the future. It's been tough coming to terms that he will not and can not be the person that I want him to be, and there's not really anything I can do about that. I truly care about him and we will always be wonderful friends. But I can't say I am in love with him anymore, and I can't say that I see my future with him anymore. While we have been happy for the most part, a lot of unhealthy things developed from our relationship (see: loss of friend circle) and my mental health has been not the best since those have come around. I often find myself very lonely and very isolated. I want to change that this year and be the person that I used to be. 2011 and 2012 were strangely enough my best years in college, when it comes to being well rounded. Anyway, leaving someone that I have shared my life with very intimately for two years is going to be something hard to get used to.

So yeah, that's what I've got to look forward too this next year. I'm pretty terrified and I don't know how it's all going to work out in the end. This is kind of a dramatic thought, but tomorrow kind of starts the beginning of the rest of my life. You guys have been great friends to me throughout the years I'm very thankful for that. 6 years here next March! Crazy. 

Posted

I got to go to Scotland and see Teto and Cascade for starters :D

Also got back into Photography which is great of course, might even get a career revolving around taking pictures.

And of course, I really feel like I have gotten to know a lot of your guys really well this year, which makes me happier than I can describe :)

Posted

I'm sure I did stuff...at some point

Posted

im quiting my job tomorrow., I just hate it so much. Ive had a horrible New Years Eve. 

Posted

Had a fun night. Made lots of personal progress in 2013. But who cares

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Most of 2013 was kinda shit, and it was totally my fault. But I think that sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom before things can start to really get better, and I've seen the most personal improvement of my entire life in the past 6 months or so.

Posted

Hey man it had its ups and downs

Posted

2013 was an incredibly important year for me. I started the candidacy process for the Methodist church, a path which will eventually enable me to be a full-time minister. I got my job as a barista, which has taught me a lot of life skills about dealing with superiors as well as helping me establish fantastic friendships with my coworkers. I experienced and survived the fallout from a roommate cutting all ties with his friends, myself included, and I made serious progress on managing my anxiety and panic disorders. My OCD, however, has started hitting incredibly hard. Checking the door and the refrigerator and the stove gets old after a while. My dating life is in a somewhat interesting place, and I've been learning to maintain individuality while still interacting so closely with someone I love. School is decent, but I've come to terms with the idea of graduating a year early (August) and started working towards a real job with a church. 

I've been dealing with a lot of personal struggles that arose in 2013, mostly dealing with how I relate to people. The fact of the matter is, I'm a surprisingly independent person who is adventurous and prone to flights of whimsy, but I tend to attract extremely dependent people who don't deal well with my craving for independence. As such, learning to manage other peoples' displeasure with me has been a big deal.

I'm not sure I can say that I'm entirely happy with where I am, but I can say that I have a good life. I need to keep working towards personal improvement in this upcoming year.

Also, I'm going on my eighth year as a member here. That's really difficult for me to believe, but it's also really cool. For as sparse as my posts here have gotten, there's no denying that this place has had an impact on my life. It's the kind of place that a lonely 12 year old needed and a content 20 year old still holds dear.

Posted

2013 was pretty exciting and had both of it's pros and cons.

I finally went full time at my job and am more financially stable.

The sad part is I also lost a bunch of time doing stuff I like to do like talk to you guys and stuff.

Cirt likes this

Posted

Glad you're back

Posted

The first half was alright, I would say. August is about when it started to go downhill. I was in this sort of manic depressive state and only got more socially awkward as time went by. Most of the good things I could say about the year took place between May and July. It wasn't terrible, but it could've been better.