Dangan Ronpa

111 posts in this topic

Posted

It's finally time for us to discuss this very happy game. Trigger Happy Havoc: Dangan Ronpa comes out on Playstation VITA on February 11th in the US and February 14th in EU. For those of you who don't know what Dangan Ronpa is; essentially fifteen students are trapped in a school by a robot bear named Monokuma with no way out. Monokuma then tells them that he wants the students to kill each other. If someone can kill someone and not get caught for doing so they will be freed from the school as all the other students are left to be executed by Monokuma. However, if the student is caught for killing they themselves will then be executed.

I'm excited for this crap to come out. As much as I think it will cause people to throw hissy fits and we'll get a censored second game or whatnot as a result I can't wait to enjoy the first game to its fullest.

Posted

I still don't understand why the English subtitle is 'Trigger Happy Havoc'. Dangan Ronpa is not a happy game in the slightest lol

BUT YES I am so excited for this to finally get an official Western release you can probably tell from my tumblr/avatar and all that how much I love this series. Although I can never explain fully why I like it so much. It's just such a well-made visual novel game. The story is engaging, anime as HELL but. enjoyable. The characters are all well-written and are interesting in their own unique ways. And still manage to feel like a cohesive cast that makes sense. The shooter-esque gameplay is enjoyable, and the non-trial sections are just as fun. basically persona social links. :3 there are some flaws in regards to replaying chapters to actually finish all the social links. and that collecting all the bonus content is a huge undertaking. but overall. a GOOD visual novel. we need more not-dating/weird creepy hentai visual novels.

And in general I'm just looking forward to playing this game not on my laggy laptop that can't handle emulators lol. I'm not really too bothered about the possibility of the English dub being awful. in fact from what I've heard it sounds pretty reasonable and well done? although the loss of 'super high school level [title]' for plain ol' 'ultimate [title]' will kinda bum me out. but that is minor nitpicking and not worth complaining about. plus the japanese audio is still going to be an option for the dub-hating people SO. no complaints here.

So yeah, if 'high school anime-as-puppy social link-ey murder mystery' visual novel sounds up your alley and you have a Vita, please consider trying out this game because it is a pretty fun experience. and then you can rave about it to me. i will talk your ears off about this series if you allow me. and also if it does well then they'll localise the sequel which I so desperately want because I actually want the opportunity to PLAY it instead of reading various online LPs of it. 

(junko enoshima is forever the best character)

T1g and Knuckle like this

Posted

Trigger-Happy meaning like, quick to pull the trigger. Someone who keeps constantly shooting, or killing, can be described as "Trigger-Happy", because pulling the trigger makes them happy and they can't help themselves but pull it again and again. I assume this is basically what the game is about; lots of people getting killed by a lot of 'trigger-happy' so and so's. I still need to play it sometime. So far I'm not spoiled at all.

Was there ever a DR werewolf? Would probably fit well?

Posted

I actually wrote up a DR-themed werewolf ages ago and I still want to host it because I really like all my ideas for it but I don't have much hope (hah) that 15 people will join and be active (and actually post and have more than 10 pages a game). I don't know. maybe I'll get over myself and get around to it someday.

T1g likes this

Posted

About your concern about the dubbed voices it is confirmed that it will have dual audio so you can play with english voices or the original japanese voices with english dubs.

Posted

All I know about DR is that it's the greatest source of new accounts bought for Something Awful, where they then go into the lets play forum, get banned, whinge about it on tumblr, and then rebuy their account because they're that addicted to watching someone play a game.

Cascade likes this

Posted

oh god half the people who post in the SA threads are so awful. so much cringe. I feel so bad for the dude who does the LPs. how could he have foreseen the amount of shit that would appear from a simple LP. ): 

and the tumblr fandom is just horrible in general. then again when is a tumblr fandom not absolutely awful. :V

Posted

Yeah the Dangan Ronpa fandom is pretty much the reason we have the paywall up most of the time now.

It's just hilarious watching people buy accounts only to break the rules immediately and get banned for being idiots in the DR thread. More than half of the bans come from that thread, not even joking.

Posted

I am unaware of the something awful thing. I should look into that. So anyone else share my concern that because the game is very 'brutal' we'll get people complaining out the wazoo? I'd hate to think that Dangan Ronpa 2 won't come stateside because of soccer moms who thought it would be a great game for their six year old.

Posted

I am unaware of the something awful thing. I should look into that. So anyone else share my concern that because the game is very 'brutal' we'll get people complaining out the wazoo? I'd hate to think that Dangan Ronpa 2 won't come stateside because of soccer moms who thought it would be a great game for their six year old.

I think people are too focused on games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty and all the games that are Call of Duty with a different title to be concerned about such a niche title.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see the game come stateside. It was one I was considering to import at some point, but now I don't need to, and everybody can enjoy it.

Posted

I demand this be changed to the Junko appreciation thread

Cascade and DR SHRUBBERY! like this

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTJrA22LGcM

With the trailer for Absolute Despair Girls: Dangan Ronpa another episode, I what this means with the direction of the series though. It is a nice twist to see the real world though, especially with Makoto's sister.

Posted

Less than Twenty four hours to go. Are you feeling the despair yet?

Posted

No, I'm feeling mucho despair because it's not out in the UK 'til Friday. >: THREE. WHOLE. DAYS. y'all better not SPEAK to me about it during this time...

hopes that my pre-ordered copy comes a day early or something... pls...

Oh, yeah, everyone who cares about DR, and who I haven't already shown, should check out the abridged anime series at some point. I'll link the first episode below. So far, there's been three episodes, one special 'meet the students' deal, and a special parody of the official English trailer. For an abridged series, it's actually pretty well done and hilarious. one thousand recommendations from me! c: spoilers for the first murder trial obviously. 

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

It might. I've seen that a lot of people who ordered from NIS directly have been getting their copies early. Stupid gamestop not breaking streetdate.