Dangan Ronpa

111 posts in this topic

Posted

maxresdefault.jpg

Just a few more days away. Can't wait until tuesday after work to start off. I hear a lot of gamestops are breaking street date but mine refuses to. Plebs. I just finished Dangan Ronpa 1 and have to say there were a lot of unanswered things I forgot about.

The class room on teh fifth floor, what the tragedy really was, what was with monokuma at the end considering junko was dead, how did they take their memories, what happened to their families etc.

I hear DR2 does answer most these questions. It will be interesting indeed.

Posted

probably should spoiler tag that but idk

Posted

Just finished Dangan Ronpa 2's story mode. I think I can get why they're working on a 1.5 instead of 3 atm.

Well, I think they'd have a hard time using their favorite mascot character if they wanted to continue down the story route. Much less find a cast of more characters to use. As it stands the fifteen in DR2 were supposed to be the only survivors of despair according to chapter 6. With the only ones remaining who would follow ultimate despair's beliefs being in comotose and under the restriction of the future foundation I don't think it would be plausible for us to get another game dealing with hope's peak following post DR2. We could possibly get another school granted the tragedy was world wide and Mr. Monokuma is known for being in a lot of places but I don't think they'd want to abandon hope's peak so easily. It will be intesting to see what Spike Chunsoft does.

Posted

I'm home early from holiday!! DR2 arrived today and is in my DR machine ready to be played!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!! Shall be fun actually, you know, PLAYING this game instead of just watching someone else's playthrough. Can't wait to hate Komaeda all over again!!!

@Luneth (MASSIVE DR2 SPOILERS do NOT look pheo/t1g...)

Yeah, I also don't see where they can possibly go with Monokuma-related hijinks after DR2, since Junko and her AI are now dead. And I don't think anyone else being his controller would really... work or make sense. Not biased at all. But she's such a central element of the series story that I wouldnt think a DR3 can work without the whole class trial/killing game/junko puppys things up for everyone format. But I'm excited to see another episode anyways, really interested to see what happened between the two games. Plus all the new characters look near. And i hope all the surviving dr1 characters appear and all the despairified dr2 characters also. Not just fan favourites. Like komaeda. Everyone has bad taste SIGH.

Also talk to me about how you felt about dr2's plot twists, characters, murder mysteries etc. Favourites and least favourites??? TELL ME everything since only you can talk to me about this game :) and also ask me about my reactions duh pls

Posted

I am not planning on buying a vita lol

Posted

Just finished getting the plat for this game.

As to your questions about characters I liked, reactions to plot twists, and thoughts in general; he we go.

So let's start off by saying I hated Nagito. He was a jerk that pretty much tried to hose everyone for his ideals. Junko did the same, but this guy was a real jerk about the whole situation. Especially with that fifth trial. God knows I had to go cry after that execution. Probably the saddest moment for me was the third trial. I seriously liked Mikan as a character and this was the first time in the entire series I felt bad for the killer. Nekomaru was probably one of my favorites, same with Gundam. That fourth trial though, good heavens that hurt my brain trying to figure it out. Keep in mind I played through the entire game blind. I'm not sure how to take the whole breaking of the fourth wall situation. Not even the fact it was a virtual reality, but monokuma broke the fourth wall in general several hundred times. Compared to his first appearence it was more whut. I laughed at all how this game had much more innuendos, especially from Junko. That whole 'imagine what you can do with a big girl' and 'would you like to be in between my giant breasts' segments had me laughing. How did you take that whole everyone was ultimate despair at first? More importantly, did anyone's execution make you cry? or at least feel as bad as that whole nanako dojima thing in P4?

Posted

Just finished Chapter 4 in my playthrough... I feel depressed all over again... too bad the next chapter is EVEN WORSE HAHAHAHAHA...HA........ha........ ;; 

spoilers for everything dr2 blah etc blah t1g is probably looking anyways:

Thank the Lord you don't like Nagito either thank god I thought I was the only one. HE'S SO AWFUL... un-repentantly awful and hypocritical at that. Ugh. Boring white hair anime pretty boys who are boring and awful are my least favourite archetype. The fans who say he did everything he did with good intentions and he's just misunderstood!!! are the worst. Did we play the same game?? But anyways I won't rant forever lol.

Fifth trial is the absolute worst, yeah. I am really not looking forward to sitting through that again. I remember first time I went through that Chapter and was like when Nagito turned up dead I literally cheered and whooped lol. Then it was like "okay he obviously killed himself right. nobody else has to die. if someone did kill him I hope it's kazuichi but he defs killed himself this is p. great". I was horribly wrong. Saddest culprit and execution in the game by far. The second trial's execution is a close second though. ))))):

And yeah, the third trial sucks as well. I figured out mostly how the murders happened but not who the culprit was... Was totally shocked when it turned out to be Mikan. I just DID NOT ever suspect her. Even though playing through it again she is so puppying suspicious during the entirety of the investigation lol. I was pretty much echoing the characters who are yelling at Hajime and being like "she couldn't have puppying it done you asshole". Yeah, that was some trial... the weirdest puppying execution out of both games though. But yeah, I really liked Mikan as well, and how her character pretty much points out how awful and terrible anime fanservice is to the characters who get blasted with it. Good job DR2 (even though you try to have your cake and eat it too with how one-dimensional the rest of the fanservice in the game is... yuck)

I thought the reveal that everyone was actually part of Ultimate Despair not terribly shocking when I first went through this game lol. Mostly because Mikan at the end of the third trial hugely hints at this being the case. And then Nagito trying to kill everyone in Chapter 5 because he loves hope yadda yadda. Really good foreshadowing there. Virtual reality was even more obvious. Still not sure how I feel about that being the case... will have to finish the game again I guess.

Favourite characters: Mahiru, Ibuki, Hajime, Fuyuhiko, literally every other girl, Gundham. I have too many favourites... Man it's weird using their first names I'm so used to the translation I first "played" using all their last names lol. The other guys ehhhhhhhhhhh don't care much. Favourite chapter is probably either Chapter 2 or 3. Or 5... I really liked all of them though overall.....

this was a huge ramble woops. dr2 has a lot to talk about i can't help it lol ):

Also the bonus mode where you play as Monomi in a terrible and weird fighting game is the absolute worst. So awful it's somehow... good. And I love how everything in that explodes in seas of red blood, which is okay but noooooooooo everyone in the main game bleeds pink can't show that being red. Silly Japan censorship rules.

Posted (edited)

If you try to go for the plat buckle up kiddo, it's about 5-10 hours of farming in that mini game to get every gosh darn last item. There are 60 total and it takes forever. I got so good at the thing I can beat hard with the starting equip. IT SHOULD NOT BE LIKE THIS.

Also throughout the entire game whenever it was Hajime speaking I swear I was imagining it come from Adachi. Seriously, too much P4 over the years I tell ya. It was just very amusing though hearing Adachi as someone capable of solving murder cases...(we're going to avoid P4 spoilers for those who haven't played the thing yet. If you haven't and you own a vita, you suck btw.) Just something for the last few trials.

Edited by Luneth Uchiha (see edit history)

Posted

He really does sound like Adachi it's so uncanny, speaking of which, please listen to why Hajime decided to go to Hope's Peak Academy

Also, the fact you can raise a virtual pet in this game is super adorable, when you get a pig Monomi or a snake Monomi for example. Sweeeeeeet. But sometimes you get shit like this...

4j4ijSs.jpg

I cannot believe this is an actual thing you can do in this game. I left my pet rabbit wallowing around in it's own shit for ages and it decided to respond by growing up into a literal pile of shit. puppying amazing. This is in the last chapter as well, heading to the final class trial, PET NOTIFICATION blares at me, I see this. Really sets the atmosphere! Beautiful. /tear

How many different kinds of pets are there anyways? It's an adorable feature but having to raise every kind of pet for a trophy is going to be annoying jeez... and no other type is going to beat this one anyways, what's the point even..

pheonix561 and Knuckle like this

Posted

You know what's really despair-inducing? Being one free time period away from completing all the hope fragments for a character, only for that character to get killed off.

Posted (edited)

Upupupu, guess you gotta wait until island mode. Some of the pets are amazing. My shitimi got annoying though since it crapped every 30 steps. You can even get monokuma as a pet evolution if you get 9-10 hope and 6-10 despair on it while it's in the bunny stage.

New trailer for Despair Girls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUvZQmiwec

Considering there were posters and other references to it in DR2(one much more obvious than the others) I wonder if NIS america is planning on bringing it over next year. I hope so. Those dancing monokumas in the second trailer were probably the greatest thing I've ever seen.

250px-Kurokumacg.png

Also this from the trailer. This wins.

Another trailer with some very familiar people, including one that just made things a lot more interesting in theory of who you might be up against as well. Nice to see Toges in the game.

Posted

I really hope Komaeda isn't the only DR2 character that appears in Another Episode... please bring some of the actual good characters back. plssss. Same with DR1 Togami ugh.

Regardless, I'm still really hyped for this game. It looks brilliant and I super duper want to know what happened with everyone in-between games. I really hope all the references in DR2 to it means that NISA are planning on bringing it over. Hopefully DR2 sold well enough to justify it...

everyone in this game is the most adorable in their free-time events also. stop making me feel sad that 90% of you die horribly jeeeeeeez! *hiyoko voice*. although the one free-time event with chiaki where you're milking a cow together was just WTF. what kind of first date is that? step up your game hajime god.

Also I accidentally killed my Shitimi. She just shits constantly and I was too stupid to remember that I would need to actually clean this more often than with other pets so. woops. drowned in her own crap. what a way to go. 

Posted

Since Despair girls isn't out yet and every bit of information is in trailers or famitsu, here we go. So I know that at least in the DR1 side of characters it isn't just Togami. Kyoko will appear as well as Makoto at some point, that much is confirmed. Given the circumstances that Despair Girls takes place between DR1 and 2, actually a lot of people believe that 

The goal of the game will be partly to secure Ultimate Despair. With Nagito for example he could appear the way he did, IE chained up because he was a member of ultimate despair that had been captured or turned himself in.

I don't know why, but everyone but the last person I bonded with in story mode ended up being a killer. 

First I linked with Mikan, then Chiaki, then Gundam, and finally Sonia.

Everyone but the last one ended up being a killer and executed by monokuma. I cry everytiem.

Posted (edited)

This is filler text because the stupid side bar on the main page of the forums ignores that everything that follows is in spoiler bubbles. This is spoilers regarding the new DanganRonpa that came out today in japan just ignore this filler text the real post is down below. Screw that little side bar.

Despair girls came out today and someone posted that right off the bad without filters on the gamefaqs DR2 board. It's interesting that they would go ahead and execute the elementary students. Watching the people throwing a fit in the comments about this you'd swear this will cause localization issues. Oh well, some people aren't ready for the despair...upupu