Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cartoons

132 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-turner-animation-head-stu-snyder-exiting-20140306,0,642714.story#axzz2vE7iyrDB

Stuart Snyder is leaving cartoon network, could mean cool things, or bad things, or business as usual, but a lot of people on the internet hate this guy so it's probably a good thing.

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)
DR SHRUBBERY! and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

Been watching some Season  5 of regular show.

this whole thing with Cloudy Jay is crazy. It's cool to see a cartoon with drama and continuity like that.

Posted

Also, i really wanna play AT DnD. Is there any interest to playing it here on Hnet? I mean, through an online program but like, as an Hnet community thing. Id like to practice being a DM for potential IRL games.

Posted

I'm surprised he doesn't get compared to homer simpson more. The mankashous(sp?) have a real simpsons dynamic going on, save for a lack of a maggie character and mako being pretty much nothing like lisa.

Posted

The mom is also nothing like Marge so yeah the "Simpson" dynamic is really just a Homer and Bart dynamic. 

Posted

Although Mako's dad and brother get along fine because they're disruptive in similar ways, but her dad can get serious head-of-the-house-like when the need arises, whereas Homer is just incompetent. There's very little similarity to the Simpsons when you get down to details.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

I wish there was a super long version of this but it'll have to do at 40 seconds.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted (edited)

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/cartoon-network-unveils-upfront-slate-for-2014-15/

Cartoon Network has a lot of stuff up it's sleeve

Over the Garden Wall, Clarence, and We Bare Bears could possibly be worth watching.

I'm glad Annoying Orange is gone, was terrible stuff, Johnny Test is still returning sadly

Looks like they're planning a new Scooby Doo show, a new Looney Tunes show and a new Tom & Jerry show..

I honestly liked Scooby Doo Mystery Inc and The Looney Tunes Show for not trying to copy the older shows, but I guess they're being replaced.

I just don't think there is any modern twist they can try to put on Tom & Jerry to make it interesting.

Edited by Double45 (see edit history)

Posted

Honestly, I can't stand a lot of the new cartoons. I've tried watching Adventure Time and The Regular Show, but they really bore me. Then there's everything on Nick that's really unbearable to watch now too. Maybe I'm just getting older though.

Really, the only cartoons I watch are The Simpsons and Family Guy. Though some days, when I'm really bored, I'll watch Tom and Jerry on Cartoon Network.

Posted

Adventure Time has more adult-oriented themes than Family Guy does, so I don't think age is the issue you're having. I'm not even sure that it's a difference in your humor.

I'd be kind of underselling Adventure Time if I said I liked it for the humor; if I said that then people would go and watch it, trying to find it funny, but there's some other charm element of it that makes it as enjoyable as it is for me. I can't really put my finger on it though without going on a clueless ramble, so I won't spend much time trying to accomplish that. It has a kind of goofy coolness about the casual atmosphere of the world, and stories that don't try to preach. It leaves you with a bunch of stuff and you can take from it what you will.

So I dunno what your tastes in programming are YLA, so I can't really narrow down what it is you don't like or get about Adventure Time. I'd like to be able to though, not for the sake of convincing you, but for kind of understanding why it appeals to me.

If you try to explain why you didn't like it though, don't actually bother unless you already know. I know about myself from personal experience that if I have no clear reason why I don't like something, then explaining why I dislike something to a fan can frustrate me. Since I get frustrated, and I still feel like I need to validate myself to this person, I start pulling reasons out of the air; wild guesses at my reason for disliking something. I make up a bunch of rubbish excuses and reasons, and end up sounding like an ignorant idiot. So yeah, if you simply don't get the show, then just say that. Trying to validate that dislike will just mess stuff up. When it's irrelevant stuff like cartoons, stubbornly refusing to find reasons for your beliefs is fine.

I'm just being preachy and rambly, mostly because this is advice I am also giving to myself.

Posted

Well I'm starting to out grow adult-oriented humor because I'm honestly starting to not like Family Guy that much either. I just watch it and hope I get a laugh. Some times it works and sometimes it doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz_4OgMi7M

I saw this old Monty Python skit and I laughed more at this than I have while watching Family Guy. So I don't know...

Teto likes this

Posted

I liked that the cool kids in the latest Steven Universe episode were all just chill people rather than putting other people down and stuff like you tend to see with 'MC meets the cool kids' episodes of stuff. Lars has like no self esteem and distances himself with superiority junk, and the cool kids' commonplace casual nature makes his attempts at 'cool' look totally foolish, since I suppose the cool kids' version of cool is just in how they take things at their own pace. Good episode.

Also, Steven defending his mom is going to ruin my life.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

have you guys seen Lakewood Plaza Turbo? The pilot was grouped with Steven Universe's and Clarence's pilots, but didnt get picked up. However, Adventure Time was in limbo for years before becoming an actual show, so i have hope.

http://youtu.be/Qn4L4aPXBgE

K.O. is voiced by the actress who voiced Goku, so thats a nice throw back,

Posted

this is also cute

Teto likes this