Followers 0

1776- The Musical Comedy of American Independence viewing tonight

11 posts in this topic

Posted

heh no

Posted

I thought LL was streaming this?

Posted

He told me he can't stream, so we're just going to have to get the file individually.

Posted

oh no thanks then

Posted

Aww, I love this one

Posted

Yeah, it was really goofy. "Stop being a Boston Fishwife" is something I'm going to start telling people to do. Thomas Jefferson was for some reason really in love/true to his wife and really anti slavery in this musical when historically that guy had how many illegitimate children with his many, many slaves?

Posted

Because Jefferson was a bit of a fencer on the matter of slavery (he wanted eventual emancipation as opposed to immediate, which meant he owned slaves in good conscience but worked to slowly disintegrate the practice) you can really interpret his actions a lot of ways. Some people say he was a hypocrite and I think that's unreasonable; he honestly didn't think freed slaves would belong in America so he wouldn't consider just letting all of his go. There's a lot to be said on the matter so to put it very, very simply I'll just say he had no means of fixing slavery the way he wanted so he just held out until the time was right.

As for the illegitimate children thing, it's all muddled in propaganda from his campaigns and time in office. Pretty much everyone was accused of having affairs and stuff like that even back then. We'll never know the truth and I wouldn't bother considering it when estimating Jefferson's character. 

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

I would have gone but Mahjong Club had gathered the ten pies and it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up

Posted (edited)

Because Jefferson was a bit of a fencer on the matter of slavery (he wanted eventual emancipation as opposed to immediate, which meant he owned slaves in good conscience but worked to slowly disintegrate the practice) you can really interpret his actions a lot of ways. Some people say he was a hypocrite and I think that's unreasonable; he honestly didn't think freed slaves would belong in America so he wouldn't consider just letting all of his go. There's a lot to be said on the matter so to put it very, very simply I'll just say he had no means of fixing slavery the way he wanted so he just held out until the time was right.

As for the illegitimate children thing, it's all muddled in propaganda from his campaigns and time in office. Pretty much everyone was accused of having affairs and stuff like that even back then. We'll never know the truth and I wouldn't bother considering it when estimating Jefferson's character. 

The only homework I'd actually ask you for help on and you don't exist to me in that time. Damn you.

(This is a sort of upside-down ass-backwards compliment of some sort. (I'm not tsundere dammit))

Edited by Sawoobie (see edit history)
Knuckle and T1g like this