Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

((Sorry for my absence guys, I was extremely busy this weekend!))

I sit quietly, chewing on my bread roll, listening to Fintan and Sault discuss their thoughts on what was in store for us today.

Obviously, today is extremely important. If our little mission is a success, well, fantastic. If not, then... another enemy to deal with.

I wondered how the people of the sky had adjusted to living on the land. They'd brought their birds -Loftwings, I'd heard them called- with them, likely as a way of getting about quicker. They didn't have the mobility of the Sheikah, unsurprisingly.

Another thought that intrigued me was how the Hylians would look. Illustrations in old texts couldn't possibly compare to the real people.

With a 'hmph', I tightened the strips of fabric around my waist, swallowing the last bite of bread.

"It might be a good idea to get moving," I spoke up. "I can't say I'm too optimistic, but I do want to get a look at these Hylians."

Posted

I watch Callia as she sits on Fledge's lap in front of the campfire. I'm not jealous of one of them, though I admit I might be jealous of what they have. Their relationship looks just perfect to me. They are best friends, yet have plenty of moments when it's so clear they are made for each other and they are clearly in love. I'm not the childish girl from a year ago anymore, I'm grown up. But I have to admit that I still wish for the guy of my dreams to walk by. I still dream of true love, I think I'll just always will. I don't know why it matters that much to me, that's just who I am.

"Hey," Zelda says as she sits next to me. 

"Hi," I reply softly.

"So Link, Pipit, Karane and Leoni are heading out in the forest to look for more clues..." she sighs. 

"Are you worried?" I ask.

She nods. "I am. Since I fell through that tornado, I haven't stopped being worried and scared."

I don't know what to say to that. 

"Maybe it's because I know what happened," she says calmly.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"In the past. The war..." she whispers. 

"Zelda..." I breathe as I put my arm around her. I don't know what to say to her. She's a 17 year old girl with a mind that's thousands of years old. She's the goddess, I mean, it doesn't get more special then that... She's been through so much, and I can see in her eyes that just no one understands her. Not even Link.

Posted

I walk at a brisk pace ahead of the group, eager to get back to the scene of the finding before it gets too dark to see. 

"Slow down!" Pipit hollers from behind. "What's got you in such a hurry, Leo?"

"I want to get to the evidence before nature does." I reply calmly, not turning around to face him.

"Evidence? What are you talking about?" Karane asks, looking puzzled.

"Something like footprints or marks to help us find the shooter or where they came came from. They could disappear with wind or rain, so I want to see them before that happens..." I trail off as we arrive at the tree. "So this is the spot?" I ask.
"Yup," Link replies. "I pulled the arrow out from right there," he says, pointing to a small notch in the tree.

"And it was pointed straight into the tree?" I ask, making notes in a small journal I carry.

"Yeah," says Pipit. "But why would that matter?"

"It shows us the direction the shot came from; directly opposite the arrow's angle of entry," I say making more notes. I do some quick math, and I point with my pencil to another tree a few yards away. "The shot came from in that area, unless the shooter can curve arrows somehow. In that case, the shot could have come from anywhere..."

"But more to the point, why this tree?" Link asks. "What is so special about this tree that the shooter, whoever it is, would shoot at it? This shot was obviously not a miss; it was intended," Link says.

"That is a good point. But first, I want to check for tracks where our 'shooter' is supposed to be. We might learn more," I say, walking over along the line of trajectory.

"Did you understand any of that?" Pipit asks Karane, and she shrugs, turning to follow. 

"I just don't get who would do this...." Link mutters to himself, and he turns and runs towards me.

(Thanks Nayru! And thanks for the invite, and accepting me! You guys are great! <3 )

Posted

With Caoilainn in the lead, everyone walks to the edge of the settlement. "I feel like it's gonna be a long time before we come back here. Anyone want to say anything before we head off?" Sault offered. Fintan didn't seem to notice with all that was on his mind, Caoilainn just shrugged her shoulders, and Melania teasingly declined with a "nahhhh." Well, it wouldn't be much of a start if everyone didn't say something, so he decided to give it a shot.

"Well," Sault began, "I've lived here all my life wondering what my purpose was. I made friends with you guys but never really succeeded the way a Sheikah ought to. Maybe I'll find something out here that will tell me what I need to do with my life. Even if you didn't say anything, I think you guys will find out something about yourselves as well."

Fintan seemed to come out of his reverie during Sault's parting words to give directions. "Well said, I think we can all expect to grow on this mission. Let's move out!" With that, everyone crossed the edges of the settlement and headed out into the woods. It wasn't going to be a long walk to their destination, but the upcoming weeks would require close supervision of the Hylians, and everyone seemed to feel an evil chill in the air, especially Fintan. There was no telling what was in store...

Posted

It doesn't take us long to make our way across the land and over to the Faron region. It doesn't take us more than two hours to cross to the border, make our way through the woods, and locate the settlement of the Hylians. We're sitting, crouched in a knot of trees and shrubbery, watching as the Hylians go about their daily lives. Now that I've had more of a chance to observe them, I'm getting more and more intrigued.
They're noticeably shorter than us, at least a foot - possibly more! It's impossible to tell without comparing. They don't have the red, amber and gold eyes of the Sheikah, instead, they're all brown, blue or green. In addition to this, their skin is considerably paler. They dress themselves in tunics and metal chain mail, rather like Sault, and they carry silver swords and bows and arrows as weaponry.
They turn from where they were standing in the forest, following one of their own in a yellow-gold tunic around. A small group of them head back towards the settlement, their path crossing right in front of the knot of trees where we're standing. I can catch glimpses of their conversation, words like "danger", "confusing", and "arrow".
Suddenly, I hear a loud snapping noise from beside me. I turn quickly, only to find Sault looking absolutely mortified - he knelt on a stick. The Hylians pause in their path, looking around them in confusion. One of them, a boy clad in green, pulls his sword from it's scabbard, glancing through the woods with narrowed eyes.
"Who goes there?" he calls out.
After holding my breath for what feels like an age, his blue eyes finally fall on us. "There!" he exclaims.
I'm tempted to call out to my friends to run, but I know that if we did that we'd be failing our mission. We're here to approach them, present ourselves as guardians. If we run, it'll just look like we had something to hide. Sault jumps to his feet, but he doesn't get very far before one of the Hylians is on him, a female with bright orange hair. She pins his arms behind his back as the other three do the same to me, Melaina and Caoilainn, holding our arms in place.
"We're not looking for a fight!" Melaina insists.
"Come on..." the green clad boy who's holding my wrists says. "Lets take these guys back to the village..."

Posted

I watch the intruders as they are sitting on chairs in the group house. Their hands are tied behind their back, a thing I objected against to do. I don't know why, they don't look like enemies. I mean sure, they look kind of dangerous, well trained, good equipped and ready to fight but still. They remind me of someone... They remind me of Impa. I can tell the others think so too, doubt is visible on their faces.

There are four of them, two girls and two guys. It's weird because they are all blonde, tall, tanned and have amber eyes, with the exception of one of the guys who has light skin, brown hair and green eyes. It gives me the chills when I think he could be one of us...  The other guy looks calm and has his eyes closed. The pretty girl next to him looks like we are the weirdest creatures she has ever seen though I think we don't look that much different. Finally, the other girl looks like she would love to fight us. 

Why aren't they trying to escape? 

"Who are you," Link asks them firmly.

Posted (edited)

I feel the warmth settle over my skin as I return from my palace of balance. I needed to know... I needed to know if whatever caused that dark aura earlier was coming from one of the Hylians. But nothing, their aura's are unusual, one of them had the most powerful aura I've ever encountered... but they're not dark.

As I open my eyes, I find myself sat inside a sizable room. There are a number of Hylians stood around me, certainly more than were out earlier. I go to stand up in greeting, only to find my hands are bound behind my back and attached to the back of the chair with thick rope. I tug, testing my constraints, only to find that they hold firm. I curse myself for not carrying a small knife today - I should have anticipated this!

"Is tying us up really necessary?" Melaina asks.

The green clad boy looks irritated as he turns to her. "You were spying on us! Now, I say it again, who are you?"

I attempt to twist my wrists, but the ropes are too tight to give any leeway. Looks like I'm not going anywhere soon.

I sigh. "My name's Fintan, this is Caoilainn, Melaina, and Sault. We came here today to introduce ourselves to you. We mean you no harm."

"Ok..." says a brown haired boy dressed in a yellow tunic. "What about this, is this yours? Because it perfectly matches your set..."

He holds up a simple arrow, made of a wooden stick with an iron spear crafted onto the end. Judging by the state of it, it's already been used before... the strange thing is that it perfectly matches Melaina's set. They've taken her quiver and bow from her before tying her down, but I can't shake the edge that I get from seeing her arrow in their hands.

"Where did you get that?" she asks.

"That's what I don't understand," the oldest boy says. "You say you don't want to fight... so why was your arrow fired near our village?"

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

The tension in the room couldn't have been more oppressive. The Hylians have their eyes trained on Melaina, while we had our eyes trained on the arrow. I glance toward Fintan. He appears composed, but there is a tightness about his eyes.

"Well?" the dark-haired boy prompts.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat. This kind of hostility was never pleasant, and now least of all. Too much sneaking about in the shadows, I thought. I wasn't one for being talkative, but perhaps it could have been a better idea than 'spying' on the Hylians.

I test the ropes that bind me, but as I expected, they're thick and I'm without the weapons to sever them. The others are having the same trouble.

"One of you had better offer an explanation," the boy in green warns, glaring.

I move to shrug my shoulders, but think better of it and clear my throat.

"None of us know why you came across the arrow," I said. "We hadn't been to this area until now. We were sent here to make negotiations with you; the last thing we would do would be to start firing arrows into your land."

Posted (edited)

I begin to pace the room, still holding the arrow. There has to be an explanation, I think. There always is...

"Then who would have done this?" I ask myself out loud. "Do any of you know anyone who might have done this?" I ask the strange people.

"I have no idea," says the girl named Caoilainn. "Like I said before, all I know is that we were sent to make peace, not to start a war over an arrow."

"Something about this still doesn't make sense. And we can't detain these people until we figure out what it is, especially not like this," I say. "We shouldn't hold them captive any longer."

"But the arrow matches her arrows perfectly!" Link says, pointing at the girl called Melaina. "She has to have been the shooter!" Link objects loudly.

"We aren't going to find out what happened by interrogating prisoners," I say, turning to face the captives. "If we want to figure this out, we're going to need your help. Does anyone else object to releasing these people?" I ask.

(We should make this into a fanfic when done, like AIS...)

Edited by ElwayGuy7 (see edit history)

Posted

(We will make it into a fanfic, trust me ;)

"I don't," I sigh. "Let them go."

Link turns to me. "But what if-" 

"Link," I interrupt him. "Don't they all remind you of someone?"

Link glances down and Zelda lets out a deep sigh. Groose looks away from them. I guess it's really hurtful for them. 

"Link..." Callia insists softly. Everyone here, except for Leo knows. 

"Impa," Link finally sighs.

"Impa?" the guy named Fintan repeats confused.

Posted

"Impa," the boy dressed in green, who I now know to be called Link, clarifies.

"Who's Impa?" asks the oldest Hylian.

The others turn to look at him. One of the girls lets out a heavy sigh. "She was with us when we first touched down on the surface. She guided us through our quest..." she turns to us, "we think she might be one of your people."

I think for a moment. "I don't know her personally, but it is a name I've heard mentioned among the elders of our tribe..."

"There we go then," the girl says. "That's all we need to know." She makes her way over to Caoilainn, kneeling down to work on the ropes. Link looks rather disgruntled as she releases Caoilainn from her bindings. For whatever reason, he seems to blame us entirely for what's happened here. The others kneel down to help out too, the oldest Hylian working on my bindings. I pull my wrists free as the ropes come loose, rubbing my sore skin and rolling my shoulders.

"We're sorry if you got the wrong idea about us," I say, getting to my feet. "But we're not here to cause problems. In fact, it's the contrary. I doubt this is the last you'll see of us... we'll be back soon."

And with that, I take off towards the door, Melaina, Sault, and Caoilainn close behind.

Posted

I work my wrists around in circles as our group strides along out of the Hylian's territory. We still take quick glances at the new inhabitants of the surface, but avoid making eye contact with most.

Fintan's eyes are open, but it's clear he's somewhere else entirely, only barely aware of us. Melaina holds an arrow, staring down at it as if it might offer some sort of explanation.

"Well," Sault breaks the silence. "I suppose it could have been worse."

"It could have been better," I reply drily.

"I just don't know how an arrow like that landed in their land," Melaina says, eyebrows drawn into a frown. "But at least we're on relatively good terms."

I don't respond, focusing on ignoring the urge to scratch at my wrists. Being bound was horrible, especially when you were weaponless.

"I wonder what Sheik will make of this," Sault muses. I shrug, splaying my fingers apart and rolling my shoulders.

I honestly have no idea how he'll react. It's rare to see Sheik get upset, and I can't think he'll be too fazed by this. But I'd never been sent on a mission, and I'd never seen anyone fail in their own.

Posted

"That was so weird," I sigh. 

"I know, what just happened?" Callia asks as she stands up from my bed. I'm staying with her and Fledge until my house is finished. 

"I have no idea," I sigh again. "They don't seem dangerous."

"No, I'm quite sure of that too, I mean, if they are like Impa, they are here to help us..." she mutters.

I sit next to her. "What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"Impa's duty was to protect Zelda during her quest and to aid Link. That means that if her purpose was to aid Zelda and Link, why not just our people in general?" she asks me. 

"I follow the first part, but why and how would she protect people that live in the sky?" I ask her.

"Maybe we were always meant to come down here and stay," she replies simply while looking at me. 

She could be right. 

Posted

(( Knuckle? Everything ok? ))

"Fintan, slow down!" Melaina calls from a few feet behind me. I pause mid stride, turning back to find the others having to jog to keep up.

"Sorry," I sigh. "I'm just thinking..." I always walk faster when I'm concentrating on something else.

"What happened back there was strange," Sault admits. "But there's no point in brewing on it until we get back. Sheik might even have something to say about it!"

I nod. "You're right. Come on, let's just try to get back to the tribe, fast."

Our mission was ultimately unsuccessful, and it's eating me up inside. I've been sent on a good few missions before, and never in my life have I ever failed one. It's a horrific feeling, to know that I couldn't' fulfill what was asked of me. Not to mention the fact that Hylians seem to have taken a distinct disliking to us, at least, some of them. None of this was meant to happen, this wasn't how today was supposed to go. And I'm still no closer to figuring out which of them is the Chosen Hero or the Mortal Goddess.

We walk for a few more minutes in silence. I think the truth is that everyone's as concerned as I am about today's events. But suddenly, something attracts my attention, and I stop dead in my tracks.

"What the-" Caoilainn begins, but she quitens when I hold out on finger, shushing her.

I can feel it. Something is lurking here, something bad, something terrible. The throb of familiarity in the back of my mind tells me that whatever this is, I've experienced it before. I take up a fighting pose, my weight distributed evenly, knees bent, poised.

Melaina sighs. "Fint-"

But I press a finger to my lips, looking around me one last time. But I can't see anything but a few trees and some fallen branches. That's when they suddenly appear out of nowhere. They form in front of us a swirl of dark clouds, tall, lean, pale. Something I hoped I wouldn't come across since Demise was eradicated.

Demon Lords, four of them, and they don't look best pleased.

(( Get ready for the first battle scene of the RP guys! ))

Posted

"What do you think of them?" I ask Pipit absent-mindedly.

"I'm not sure, and I'm getting the feeling that the rest of us feel the same. But that arrow seems like a bad omen. Who else would do it, if not them?" Pipit replies.

"Someone who wanted us to think it was them?" I say. "I think they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, but we don't know their intentions," I continue.

"So... What's your point?" Pipit says.

"I think we should follow them, and try to speak with their leaders, so we can sort this out. I don't want us to judge these people without knowing them," I say. "What do you think?"

"I wouldn't have thought of it before, but it makes sense to talk to them so we get their side of the story. If nothing else we can try to make friends," he says. "I kind of like it."

"I'm going to go talk to the others, and see what they think. I'll be back really soon," I say as I walk towards Callia's house. I peek my head in the door.

"Am I interrupting anything? I just wanted to ask you guys about an idea I had..." I say, standing in the door frame.