Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

"I object to following," I say taking a step forward. "I think it's safe to assume that whatever that was lurking by the woods over there wanted to be seen. We've established that. But we don't know for definite that the Hylians have been held captive. You've overlooked one vital point."

Sault frowns. "What's that?"

"Skyloft." I say, looking around at the others. "What if the Hylians managed to escape before the worst of the damage occurred? Being tossed out of their own settlement... what other choice would they have than to go back to Skyloft?"

"He's got a point..." Link says. "I'll get my Loftwing and fly up to check it out..."

He runs off, whistling to call down his gigantic red bird. I still marvel at the size and strength of those creatures... within a few moments, he's up in the sky and flying towards the gap in the cloud barrier. While he's off, we continue with the clean up. Sifting through to pull out the biggest beams of wood and pieces of rubble before pushing the ash into piles. A number of the Hylians sit on the sidelines, sick with worry.

Link returns a few minutes later, grinning like a child. "They're safe!" he says. "Just like Fintan said... they're back in Skyloft."

I lay down the beam of wood I was holding. "Did they know anything about the attack?"

Link nods. "That's the thing... they said they couldn't distinguish a feature about the arsonist... Groose said he saw the arsonist run away... but he was jet black."

I frown. "What?"

"He looked vaguely Hylian," Link says. "Nothing like a demon lord... but he was black. His skin, his hair, his clothes... everything was black. Groose only say him from the back... but he was certain about what he saw."

Well that's a first.

Posted

"The real question here is, what are we gonna do about it? I mean, we've cleaned up, but we can't rebuild in a week, much less a day. We either have to hunt for the arsonist, or go back to the camp for the night. We can't stay here, because the arsonist could be lurking, and the next thing he sets on fire could be us," I say. "I'd rather go back to camp, knowing that our friends are safe, and get proper gear and rest for a long adventure, than take off unprepared."

"I agree with Leo," Pipit says. "No one here is prepared for a long journey, especially with all of the work we've done, and supplies we've lost. We should head back."

"I'm not against the idea," says Link, "But we should finish cleaning up here first."

We all nod, and we get to work clearing the rubble, salvaging what supplies we can, and piling up ash and wood off to the side. With all of the help of the other people, we finish quickly, and begin to head back towards the camp. All along the way, Groose's testimony bounces around my head. Who or what looks like that? I think. Who would've done this, if not a Demon Lord? Is Groose even telling the truth? Doubt clouds my mind, and I keep walking, oblivious to the world around me. I almost bump into Caoilainn walking in front of me when we stop before entering camp. I snap out of my daze and I begin thinking about supplies we'll need, and what gear needs fixing. It will be a long day preparing, but hopefully the adventure makes it worth the while...

Posted

(( Sorry, I was planning on posting another reply before I left but I have to go in like five minutes so... anyway, my point is that I'm off to Wales for a school trip! I'll be back on Friday, but I'm not bringing my laptop because quite frankly I don't want it to get stolen, so I won't be posting until Friday (which is when I get back). Keep the RP running while I'm away! I'll still get the E-mail notifications on my phone so even if I'm not joining in, I'll still be reading what you guys post :D I promise to reply as soon as I get back! I'll speak to you all on Friday :) ))

Posted

((Thanks for the heads up! Have a good time! ))

Posted

((Have fun! :) ))

I didn't sleep much this night. The only thing I could think about was how our place has been ruined, and how our friends were close to being killed. 

"I want to go to the sky," I tell Callia when we are eating breakfast.

"What? Why?" Fintan asks before Callia can react.

"I want to talk to Zurin, ask him about the demon lords. And when I'm there, I can ask if we can have some new supplies to replace the burned ones we can't get from the surface," I say. "And I want to see our friends... Plus, they're good helpers and fighters, they'll be useful and they want to get back."

Fintan nods. "Ok. I think it's best that you don't go alone though."

"I'll come," Callia says. 

"I would like to come too," Sault smiles. 

Fintan looks at him, doubtful. "I'll have to ask Sheik."

Saults smile disappears. "Of course," he nods. 

Posted

((oh, hope you enjoy your trip! I'll be posting character info on Zurin for the rest of you guys once we get to Skyloft by the way :D ))

The verdict arrived only a half hour later, but to Sault it felt like a whole day. Sheik decided at least one Sheikah needed to go regardless, and Sault was by far the best representative because of his alarming resemblance to the Hylians. With more excitement than he'd ever felt, he told the Hylians the good news and helped prepare for the trip to the sky.

"So, this is a Loftwing." Sault remarked as he beheld a domesticated bird of enormous size belonging to Leo. "Yeah, pretty amazing huh?" the Hylian remarked. "They can get up in the clouds fast and dive through them even faster. As we planned you can ride with me, but you'd best hold on very tight since these saddles are made for one." Sault was too excited to be afraid, really, but he still followed Leo's advice as they lifted off to the sky.

It was a feeling like no other, getting off the ground and seeing the world you knew shrink below. Even places Sault had never been came into view and then became tinier; there was a volcano, a desert, and weirdest of all a huge ocean of sand. Eventually the group ascended to a sea of clouds, with floating rocks dotting the horizon, particularly two or three enormous ones. Leo pointed out the biggest of them all, where a cropping of houses and larger buildings clung to its grassy top. That must be Skyloft; it wasn't terribly far away.

Posted

"Here we are," I smile to Sault. 

He looks astonished by the view of our home town. "This is beautiful." he breathes.

"It is," I laugh. "Why don't we give you a quick look around? In the meantime we can look for Zurin and our friends and ask the headmaster about supplies."

"Good idea," Leo says. "Let's start by going to the knight academy."

We show him around and tell him how our education system works. Finally we stop by the headmaster. 

"I'll go ask him, you guys can continue without me," Leo says.

"Ok, see you later," Callia replies.

We show him the sparring hall, tell him where the Goddess statue used to be and we end in the Bazaar. 

"So here we get all our goods," Callia explains as we enter. "You have a potion shop, a scrap shop, a-"

"BRYARLY! CALLIA!" Groose and Emzy interrupt us while they run towards us. They hug us tight and Groose lifts me of the ground. 

"We're so glad to see you two," Emzy smiles. "We missed you guys!"

"We missed you too," I smile to them. 

"Yes, definitely," Callia says happily. "Sorry to ruin this moment, but do you two have any idea where Zurin is?" 

"Yeah, he's sitting with us," Groose points at a table at the back of the bazaar.

Posted

((Ok here's the bio for Zurin with a few tweaks I made over the months.))

Name: Zurin

Race: Demon

Physical description: Tall, same height, weight and build as Ghirahim. Thin, grey hair covered in a maroon cowl (never seen unless he were to take the cowl off), blue eyes but completely obstructed by thick goggles. No horns, head shape about like Ghirahim but a slightly taller face. A deep maroon tunic and separate pants cover his chest, upper arms and legs, with a white, travel-worn cloth tied around his waist and long gloves and boots (white as well) to cover his lower arms and his feet. Carries no weapons but uses fire sorcery, and the only uncovered skin is his face (sleeves of the tunic are long enough to tuck under the gloves, which extend 1/3 the way up his lower arm), which is mostly obscured by the maroon cowl he wears. His clothes in general are very loose-fitting, unlike Ghirahim's and are slightly damaged by exposure to the elements.

Personality info: A friendly demon who aided Link and the Hylian knights on their quest to save Demise. He chose to forsake his past as a heinous Demon Lord and maker of Ghirahim, pledging himself to Eldin the Fire Dragon and then the Hylian people. He's more serene nowadays with Ghirahim and Demise gone, but still works hard to assist the people of Skyloft with everyday problems.

---

Zurin looked up from his lunch to see Byarly and Callia running toward him with big smiles on their faces. He returned the appreciation with a warm greeting as usual; it was always so wonderful to see them after they left to settle the surface. "Ah, It's so wonderful to see you all again!" he says. "Groose told me about your struggles. Do you think you will be ok?" Everyone else looks down a bit. "It's not looking so good." Byarly replies, "Demon Lords have been appearing, and some other creature burned our village to the ground." Zurin nodded in understanding, then folded his arms to think for a bit.

"The Demon Lords are a problem that will not go away for a long time, unfortunately." Zurin spoke after a bit of thought. "They are likely barricaded in the deep tunnels of Eldin, which you might remember from our short captivity there. For a long time they will continue to attack the surface in small groups until we're capable of harming demons like the Master Sword. To that end, Batreaux and I have been researching a way to make demon-killing weapons. The Sheikah will hopefully give some insight on the matter if you press them, and I would request that you learn all you can from their leaders."

Zurin continued with his thoughts shifting to the shadow figure. "This monster that burned your village was no Demon Lord, but the two may be connected. I would guess the demons have become desperate and created something they cannot control. I've encountered creatures like this; insane beasts that walk like a Hylian but are made of concentrated darkness, and they are born to complete a single mission with unwavering resolve. I suggest not chasing this creature down, let it come to you and kill it without mercy."

Posted (edited)

I wince as my bare foot strikes the tree bark again, but keep attacking relentlessly. Pipit stands off to the side, watching, with Karane by his side.

"Caoilainn," Karane speaks up, "you're bleeding."

"It's fine," I say, speaking in pauses. "Happens a lot. How are you two doing?"

"We're okay," says Pipit, almost managing a smile.

However his eyes tell a different story. Karane looks like she could start crying at any moment, and I don't blame her. How would I react to the Sheikah camp, my home for the last eight years, burning to the ground?

"You don't seem okay to me," I remark, lunging for another punch. "You just lost the settlement you'd invested so much in."

Almost immediately, Karane loses her composure, clutching at Pipit's yellow tunic and burying herself in the fabric. I stop my practising for a moment, regarding Karane with a blank expression.

"I'm sorry," I say after a moment. "But the truth can usually hurt, so avoiding it isn't the best way to go."

Pipit nods in agreement, his expression solemn.

"I know that losing a home can be hard," I venture. I was never great at comforting people. "But there's more than enough resources available on the surface for you."

Karane pulls herself away from Pipit then, still sniffling but able to smile a little.

"Your friends are safe," I continue. "This is a winnable situation. The longer you spend worrying, the less time you can put into fixing the problem. That's the way I see it."

Edited by ButterflyBabyBlue (see edit history)

Posted

"We have to hunt it down?" I ask, sounding doubtful and to my disgrace, scared. I am pretty freaked out by letting an evil creature hunt us down. 

"Aw come on Bryar, we defeated Demise, a stupid creature won't be a problem," Groose smiles.

"Let's go search for Leo," Callia suggests. "Groose and Zurin, can you start buying some supplies?" 

"Sure," they reply. 

Callia, Emzy and I head to the plaza. 

"Since when did Groose start giving you a nickname Bryar?" Emzy jokes. 

Callia laughs. "Yeah, when did that happen?"

I blush slightly. "It's nothing. He does that to everyone." 

"No he doesn't," Callia smiles. "Well he did to Zelda and we know how that turned out," she winkes at Emzy.

"Well maybe he misspoke," I say. 

"Maybe. Or not," Emzy whispers to Callia loud enough for me to hear and they start to laugh. 

Posted

This place is beyond Sault's wildest dreams; a huge rock floating in the sky, populated by people very similar to him in size and ability. He would have given anything to grow up here. Speaking of which...

"Hey, Callia, do you know the oldest person living here? I have questions for them." Sault asked. The Hylian considered this for a moment, then gave an expression like she'd just realized something herself. "Come to think of it, that would actually be Batreaux. He's a Demon Lord, so he'd be older than any of the Hylians." She replied. "I think you can find him at his old house, let me give you some directions..."

With the way pointed out to him, Sault made off for Batreaux's house on the underside of Skyloft. It was an odd place to live, but apparently he'd kept the place up from the beginning of Skyloft's existence, and likely knew everyone that had ever lived there. Running along the catwalk and knocking on the door, it was eagerly swept open by a huge, grinning Demon Lord unlike any other in appearance. "... You're Batreaux, correct?" Sault asked with hesitancy. The demon was far less anxious. "Welcome to my home, human! To what do I owe the pleasure?" He said with a huge grin. "Oh, I just had a few questions for you. I'm actually raised a Sheikah, you see, but maybe you could answer some questions about my true heritage? I was told you might know everyone who ever lived here, including perhaps my actual family." Sault replied with equal excitement.

As Sault explained the situation the demon seemed to become less and less thrilled. As he finished, Batreaux had taken a step back and was looking a bit anxious. "I see. Well, maybe I'll... give it some thought. I need to think about all the people I've ever seen here... and... that's a lot of people so I'll have to get back to you on the matter have a nice day!" After literally bumbling out that last sentence non-stop, he closed the door and could be heard quickly backing away from the entrance at a rapid pace. Utterly baffled, Sault made his way back to the Hylians a bit crestfallen.

Posted (edited)

(( I'm back! :D I had a great time in Wales thanks :D I loved reading the e-mail alerts for the RP while I was gone (when I could actually get a signal!) Thanks for keeping it up while I was away! I'll make a long post with a -hopefully- interesting plot twist to make up for my absence! ))

"Have Sault and the Hylians returned yet?" I ask Melaina as I make my way through the temple of Spirit. She shakes her head, and I nod understandingly, pressing forth into the tiny pocket of garden behind the temple that I use for my meditation. I understand why Sault wanted to go to Skyloft so badly, in his position I'd like to know my past. But I don't want him to get too disappointed if he can't trace his family - we can't afford distraction at such a vital time as this.

As I make my way out onto the grass, something feels distinctly wrong. I glance around me, unsure of what's changed. There's an underlying current... something dark lurking around. I narrow my eyes, taking up a ready fighting pose for if something decides to quickly jump out at me. I could handle a fight... I know that assistance isn't far away, even if we don't have everyone.

Suddenly, I feel a cold hand on my shoulder. I turn, lightning quick, to find the sneering face of a Demon Lord behind me, his hand on my shoulder. Before I can make a move to attack, he clicks his fingers and teleports us away from the camp.

I find myself lying on a slab of cold metal as we re-appear. The room isn't familiar to me, it's small dark, with rocky walls and a small pool of a murky looking liquid. I make to jump up and fight the Demon, but before I can, metal shackles form around my wrists and ankles, pinning me down to the table.

"Fintan, if I'm not mistaken," he says. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Blagdan. I'm somewhat renowned among the demonic community as a biological scientist. I don't doubt that you would have encountered some of my creations... the guardian demon, Koloktos? He was my creation."

I don't know what Koloktos is, but this particular Demon Lord is something to be feared... a biological scientist?

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask, struggling to maintain my composure.

He narrows his eyes, watching me carefully. "The Goddess and her Chosen Hero have proven somewhat... challenging for us to defeat. So I deduced that the only way to fight them is if we could match their power... match their power perfectly. So I began work on a number of simple clones, fashioned from nothing but concentrated darkness. They were successful in carrying out simple orders, but fail to act without instruction. So I remodeled the design..."

Simple clones... that explains the arrow that matched Melaina's... and the shadow creature that destroyed the Hylian settlement.

Blagdan begins pacing back and forth in front of me, exerting his authority in this situation. "It occurred to me that with the addition of DNA, I could make perfect replicates of the Hero and the Goddess that were just as powerful and independently minded as the originals, they'd look identical too! But, being demons, they would work with us. The issue is getting that DNA... I need a way in... a man on the inside..." he turns to me. "And that's where you come in, Fintan. If I can create a perfect clone of you with your DNA, and let him live amongst your people for a few days... I can get him to bring the Goddess and her Hero to me. Then I can create equally powerful beings to fight for us... you see?"

I clench my fists in the shackles, trying to pull free, but it's useless. "Why me?" I ask through gritted teeth.

He smirks. "I've been watching you. You follow every rule... so who would dare to disagree with the good little boy? Now, if you'll excuse me..." he reaches up, pulling a few strands from my ponytail, making me wince in pain. I watch as he drops the hairs into the vat of murky liquid. He then closes his eyes, muttering a spell under his breath. Slowly, surely, a figure begins to rise from the liquid. Unlike the other clones, his skin isn't a sooty black... it's horrific, because he's identical to me in every single way. Like looking in a mirror...

He opens his amber eyes, and my stomach drops.

Blagdan smiles. "You will live among the Sheikah tribes, disguising yourself as Fintan. You will wait until the moment is right, then bring the Hero and the Goddess to me. Do not reveal your true identity, you must earn the trust of the Sheikah and the Hylians."

"I understand," he says, with my voice... I hold back a shudder as he clicks his fingers, vanishing from the room. I want to scream, to tell Blagdan that this is horrific on every single level, but my tongue has turned to dust in my mouth and I know that he is evil to the bone... he wouldn't care.

I just hope my friends can figure out the truth before it's too late, before I fail the most important mission the Sheikah have ever known.

(( Good enough to make up for my absence? ))

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

I don't notice Fintan until I walk right into him, stumbling to the side a little. He walks right past, completely silent. I frown at his back, confused.

"Fintan," I call after him. "Fintan!"

He turns around, an impatient look on his face. "Yes?"

"What's wrong?" I ask. "Why are you rushing about?"

"I could ask the same of you," he replies instantly, his voice cold. I raise my eyebrows; this isn't like him. After a moment of awkward silence, I speak up.

"Well, you're obviously busy, so... I'll leave you to it. See you around, Fintan."

He gives me a simple "mhm" in response before he continues on as he had beforehand. Still frowning, I shake my head. He's probably stressed, being the leader of our mission. With a shrug, I leave him to it and continue toward where the evening meal will be held.

Posted

((holy crap that is absolutely AMAZING! great work Nayru this is awesome! I'll post an update in a few hours :D ))

Posted

"Are you ok Sault?" I ask him.

He looks confused but nods his head. "I'm fine, thank you..." he answers.

"Ok..." I mutter. He doesn't look ok. I shrug it off and look at Callia. 

"Do you miss this place?" she asks me. 

I sigh. "Of course I do..."

"Me too," Callia sighs as well.

"But it's weird you know, I feel like I belong to the surface. Like I was destined to live there," I admit.

"It's not weird, I think we all have that feeling," Callia smiles. 

"Maybe," I say quietly. 

"Hey guys!" Leo yells when he runs at us. "We can get all the supplies we want," he smiles. 

"That's great, let's start gathering then," Callia says, walking up to the Bazaar. 

Groose and Zurin have already gathered a number of supplies, and we help them bringing it outside. Groose calls his loftwing and makes a first trip to the surface. When we have more supplies he's already back and he makes two more trips in total. We don't take as much as we did the first time, because we don't want everything to be lost again, we need to be cautious... 

"That was it. Shall we head back to the surface?" I ask the group.