Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

Sault had to admit as they descended into the Earth Temple there was a significant increase in temperature. He tried to walk with confidence even as the heat caused him to perspire. "I guess this place is pretty much cleared out, which is too bad because I was really looking forward to trying my swordplay against a liza-" Sault was cut short as Caoilainn grabbed him around the waist and leaped back, just before a red Chu plopped onto the ground right where he was walking. "By the Goddess you are an airhead!" Caoilainn lectured him as Link made quick work of the beast. "Stay next to me, I don't want you running your mouth while a Keese flies into you." 

Feeling a bit humbled, Sault paired up with Caoilainn as they explored the temple. Any attempts at conversation were cut off by his grumpy partner, but he compensated by proving invaluable in skirmishes with local creatures. His aptitude at fighting when focused did seem to earn the respect of Caoilainn, and eventually he could talk to her without protests. "You know, we've fought together a lot but never trained together." Sault pointed out.

"That is correct, you know I like to train alone." Caoilainn replied, but he wasn't daunted by her blunt response. "Well, I think it would be fun to learn from each other. And I know you're eager to lecture me on my airheadedness some more." he teased. Caoilainn looked at him with slight amusement. "...I'll consider it." she replied.

Posted

((Just so you guys know, I'm gonna be up at Boy Scout camp in Colorado for the next week, until Saturday afternoon MST. I'm not dead, I just have no internet!))

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

((Nice! Didn't know you were a fellow Scout, hope it goes well :D ))

Posted

BOYSCOUTS REPORTING IN

IM NOT IN THIS RP IM JUST REPORTING IN

BOYSCOUTS REPORTING OUT

Knuckle likes this

Posted

((Also, guys, I think Nayru is having some difficulty with her WiFi; she's having trouble replying!))

Posted

(( Hello! Sorry, as Laura said, my wifi hasn't been working, it's still patchy but I can get online occasionally :) And wowee, I didn't know boy scouts was such a big thing in the states? I used to be a girl guide here in the UK, but I quit when I realised quite how homophobic the UK movement was... ))

I wipe my brow as we enter yet another dungeon room. For once, Caoilainn's pessimism has been proven accurate: that is to say, this temple is too hot for anyone's liking. The air is constantly full of a dense, sticky heat that makes my shirt cling to my back, damp with sweat. I blow my breath out through my cheeks as I view what we're faced with. A long, fairly wide pathway that climbs upwards at a striking angle, to a doorway at the head of the room.

"The spring is just up here," Link says, adjusting his belt as we all take off up the pathway. I walk in step with Melaina, though neither of us says a word. She still seems stunned, dazed. I'm so relieved to have her back, but I also feel somewhat cautious. I don't know if she remembers what transpired between us, I don't even know if what we're doing is really right. We dried up the old spring? How can something right be so destructive? I glance over at Melaina, but she doesn't look back. I sigh, opting to look at my shoes instead.

"Just through here," Zelda says once we reach the top of the path. The doorway ahead glows bright with a blue symbol of the goddess, presumably in reaction to her, before vanishing. We proceed through, and find another spring - almost identical to the previous one.

"Now what?" Melaina asks.

Posted

"Now, we have to repeat the same procedure as before," Fintan tells her calmly. "Could you step into the spring?"

It seems Melaina is a little reluctant, but after a moment she does as he asks and steps in. Fintan follows her and begins repeating the procedure again.

I wait as the others all take a few steps back; whatever is happening doesn't have much of an effect on me other than the air cooling for a split second. Then it's over, and I hear Melaina and Fintan sigh with relief.

"Finally," Fintan says. "We have you back with us."

The rest of our group rejoices, and I hear their footsteps as they make their way to Melaina.

"You coming, Caoilainn?" Sault asks from beside me. I jump, a little startled.

"I didn't see you there," I say, then pause. "Oops. But, yeah, sure. Thanks for waiting up for me."

"Not at all," he says lightly, taking me by the hand and leading me to where the rest are gathered.

As we walk, I try to tell myself that my cheeks are warm because of the temperature.

Posted

"I'd say that went pretty smoothly," Sault remarked to Caoilainn as they caught up with the rest of the group. "You're one heck of a fighter!"

"You're not half-bad yourself... when you pay attention." she teased back, eliciting a laugh from Sault. He liked this side of his old friend and close partner, when she lightened up and starting joking around. Likewise, he needed her composure to remember at times when to be serious; they seemed to be a great boon to each other... perhaps it was because...

"Hey, about what I said earlier," He interrupted his own thoughts, "do you think you can handle training me?" Caoilainn smirked a bit. "Of course I can handle you, the question is are you ready to be pushed to a new level?" she replied, which Sault took as her consent to train together. "You bet I am!" he said back as they reached the bird statue. They spent the rest of the trip discussing when and how they would practice their skills together, much to their mutual delight.

Posted (edited)

(( I'm just going to back up a little bit to just after the restoration is completed... ))

As the bright light fades and I lower my hand from Melaina's forehead, I feel an overwhelming sensation swell up inside of me. It's fear, anticipation, it's the nervous energy that bubbles away before every fight, before each kiss, before meeting someone you haven't seen in so long. As she stands there, her wide eyes unblinking, tears welling in those beautiful orbs, I see something I haven't seen in a long time. That look in her eyes, that look that makes her the Melaina I fell in love with.

"Finally," I say, unable to fight the grin. "We have you back with us."

All the emotion gushes over the surface then as she runs towards me. Our bodies collide in an eager embrace that brims with excitement and relief and impatience. Her arms hold me tighter than they ever have before, whispering apologies that her lips struggle to form. I love the feeling of having her back in my arms, it's only been a few days but it feels like a lifetime since I last held her like this. And as we stand there, together, flooding with emotion, I know that this is the most wonderful feeling in the world. It's the end of missing someone.

I bury my face into the side of her head, pushing aside her hair until my lips find her ear. Softly, as softly as I can, I whisper "I love you."

Our friends fill in around us, celebrating with loud voices and a group hug. I never hear her reply.

(( SMUSHIEST FLUFFIEST THING I'VE EVER WRITTEN. I HAVE NO SHAME ))

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

It was decided between Fintan and Link that we should return to the Sheikah camp and begin to train ourselves in order to prepare for the battle against Avani. Since she could choose to strike at any time, it was agreed that preparation was of the most importance.

I spent most of the morning practising some archery with Zelda and Melaina -hitting targets while blind was challenging, to say the least, but moving targets were a little easier to manage, funnily enough. After lunch, I stayed true to Sault and took him out to the forest.

"Alright," I say, fastening my blindfold. "Combat training first."

"Are you sure?" he asks. "I'm much better with my sword and-"

I kick out and hear his sword drop to the ground. Another kick and his shield is gone.

"Now you're disarmed," I say, settling into a fighting position. "What do you do?"

I'm surprised when he actually throws a punch, though it stops just short of my face.

"Why did you stop?" I ask with a frown. Trying to envision him in my mind, I kick again and my foot hits against his chest, knocking him back.

"I thought-" Sault abandons his sentence and I hear him laugh. "Well, it seems there's no manners required here."

He tries another punch and I dodge just before it hits. Acting quickly, I sweep him, and hear a satisfying 'thud' as he falls.

"Damn..." Sault says, and I can tell he's smiling. "I've got some work cut out for me!"

Posted

((I'm going to back up too after the restoration is complete, sorry haha :) ))

It's like a bright light clears up the clouds in my head. I remember everything. How I know my friends since we were so small, how me and Caoilainn had a fight, how I tried to teach Sault how to shoot a bow, how we met Leoni, Zelda, Link and all the other Hylians, how Avani did this to me and how much I love Fintan. 

Fintan. 

My hands start to shake and tears well in my eyes. 

"Finally," Fintan says, unable to fight a grin. "We have you back with us."

I start to run towards him and when we embrace each other, I hold him tighter then I've ever did before. 

"I- I'm so sorry.... I mean I- I can't believe I forgot who you are and that- and this and I'm so so so sorry Fintan," I sob quietly.

Fintan's lips find my ear and he whispers so quietly I can hardly hear it. But I do. "I love you."

I start to smile and everyone around us starts cheering and we get together for a group hug. 

"I love you too," I whisper to Fintan. I don't think that he can hear me, but I'll say it again. A hundred, no thousand times more. 

Posted

"Fintan," Sheik says as I walk into the communal tent. "Good to see you're all home safe. What's the news from the mission?"

"Faron has agreed to join forces with us, and we've restored Melaina's full memory," I say, with a slight nod. "And, after speaking with those among the group, we've decided to stay here and train up so that we're prepared to take on Avani when she strikes."

"Uh-huh," Sheik says, looking thoughtful. "I'll send out messengers to the Gorons and the other two dragons in that case."

"That seems wise," I comment.

I watch carefully as he gathers up the texts he was previously studying. He's still looking over the demonic plans, trying to make some semblance of sense from the translations Zurin gave us. He runs a hand through his hair - the stress is getting to him, I can tell.

"And the training... how exactly do you plan to go about this?" he asks, resting his weight on one leg.

"Well the Hylians are working together now in combat training," I say. "I know that Sault and Caoilainn have come to some sort of arrangement. And Melaina and Zelda have a bow and arrow shooting session planned for tonight to teach the others how to use the weapon."

"That's good..." he says "but it's worth noting that while you're capable of fighting, your real power lies in telepathy - you need to focus on that particularly," he says.

I frown. "I know... but how exactly am I supposed to do that?"

"Speak to the elders," he says softly. "They'll guide you,"

I thank him, before making my way out to the bright sunshine. It's a little frightening, to be honest. I don't know how I'm supposed to harness my power, let alone improve it to the point where I can use it to take down Avani. It just feels like a lot of pressure...

"Fintan!"

I turn quickly, to find Melaina running up behind me. I catch her just in time, wrapping my hands around her and spinning round and round with her in my arms. Her hair flies out behind her as she laughs with joy, before I set her down on the ground.

"I'm so glad to have you back..." I say.

Posted

Sault yelps as I come at him again with a punch, barely managing to leap out of the way. He lands somewhere off to the right, and I turn to face him, offering him a hand up.

I let out a startled cry as he pulls me down onto the grass next to him, my breath coming out of me in a rush.

"Burn you, Sault, but you're strong," I say, leaning my head back.

"Well, not quite as strong as you are, I don't think," he replies cheerily. "I'd have to do a lot to get to that level."

"That may be so," I say. "But there always will be someone who is better than you in some way. For example, Melaina has more experience with a bow than I have. Fintan is better than all of us at meditation and reading thoughts and auras. Even I'm not the best fighter there is; though I might be the best in our tribe, there's someone out there who is better. And you're better than all of us with a sword and shield, so don't sell yourself short."

He's silent for a moment, and I take the opportunity to sit up and take a deep breath, enjoying the peace that being outdoors brings me.

"Speaking of swords and shields," Sault says, "I've got to show you how to use them!"

I grumble a little in protest, reluctant. "Fine, fine, you can train me in that area... But only after we get some food."

"Sounds like a plan!"

Posted

After that rigorous training session with Caoilainn, Sault was a lot more eager for a meal than he wanted to admit; it was a good thing she had insisted on getting food. "You made a good point back there about us all having our strong points." He said with a smile as they grabbed some fruits and nuts. "What do you think my strong points are?"

"Well, you've got a better attitude about things than most people, and you're easy to get along with." Caoilainn replied "...qualities I am severely lacking in." she continued, to which Sault shook his head. "If you were really that unpleasant, I wouldn't want to be around you this much!" He exclaimed with a smile. Perhaps his enthusiasm was a bit goofy, but nonetheless Caoilainn cracked a smile at his enjoyment of her company. "Now, how about some training with swords and shields?"

Fired up now, Sault equipped himself and entered the training circle with lots of energy. "First thing's first, that small shield I gave you is ideal for countering rather than blocking. It's a buckler just like mine, and I think you'll appreciate its power as a blunt weapon in a pinch as well." Caoilainn seemed a bit confused at his instruction to use a shield like an armored fist, so he decided to be more direct. "The trick is to try using it to 'punch' other people's weapons as they swing at you. Here, try coming at me with the shortsword I gave you." Somewhat reluctantly she did as she was asked, charging to deliver a vertical slash; Sault parried the blow with his own buckler and nearly tripped her with the force of his deflection. "See? Just like punching, but you hit the weapon instead of the person. Want to try?" He asked.

Posted

I hug him again. "Me too.... Hey, sorry again that I forgot who you are... And you know, everything... I feel awful about it you know."

"You don't have to. It's not like you wanted to lose your memory," he says, putting his hand on my cheek. "It's ok."

I smile. "Thanks."

"So, you and Zelda will give some archery lessons?" he asks. 

I nod, "Yup. You can always come and say hi, I might be able to teach you a thing or two," I say and wink at him. 

He laughs. "I'll come by." 

"I should find Zelda, see how she wants to do it," I say. 

"Sounds like a plan," he answers. "I'll see you later." He kisses me on my forehead. 

I smile. "And Fintan? In case you didn't hear me earlier, I love you too."