Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

I breathe a shaky sigh of relief upon hearing Sault's voice, ringing out across the room. I hear the Demon Lords snarl upon seeing him, low guttural noises in the backs of their throats.

"Oh, what's this now?" Majora asks, its voice interrupting my brief moment of relief. "A girlfriend...?"

Someone nearby whispers something briefly in another language, and then Majora laughs. It's a horrible, rasping noise, like knives scraping against each other, and it stops us all on the spot.

"So, you've found it in yourself to love this... this halfling? Born of impurity, disloyal, and disobedient. And you still stand by her side?"

"That's right," Sault says firmly. "And I'm not going to let you hurt her!"

"Are you listening to this, Caoilainn?" Majora asks. "Your partner is still fighting for you, despite all your misgivings. Maybe he'll join you in death?"

Posted

((I was thinking the exact same thing, actually! I'll write something a bit later to post. And to answer your question, Franne, I do not have a Tumblr, at least not yet. This whole love triangle thing has made it interesting...))

Posted

((ah, no problem, I was thinking about doing a scene change in the middle of my next post anyway, and this gives me a good way to do it! Glad you liked that last bit about Gerudo Desert, by the way :D ))

"Why not work together?" Sault asks. It's the last thing he'd ever thought he'd say to this abomination, but they had little choice when their other options were to abandon their friends or die. The Dark Link considers this for a moment, then a nasty grin spreads on his face. "If you come with me and we kill Majora, you have to promise not to retaliate when I kill your friends."

Sault grimaced at such a nasty proposal for a moment, but held it in. "That's nonsense! Why would we just let you do that!?" Leoni shouted back at the clone. "We don't have any other choice." Sault agreed on behalf of both of them. "Mark my words though, you'll still die when you try and take on my friends." His partner was clearly outraged, but Sault knew they were safe. Their uneasy alliance forged, the doppelganger grasped both of them firmly and used his wicked magic to teleport them into the center of the Demon Lord's fortress. 

---

"Hands off my girlfriend!" Sault had just spat to the bewildered Majora. He and Leoni didn't even wait on a response, cutting down the weaker guards in the room with relative ease. "hmph, just as expected of Hylian knights." Majora observed them calmly. "... bold, but very stupid. Finish them." At its call, a number of Demon Lords made for their position from every corner of the room. The first couple that reached them were taken care of surprisingly quick by Sault and Leoni's powerful sword strikes, but it was quickly becoming a fatiguing battle against such powerful enemies. At that point Dark Link made his appearance, causing everyone else in the room to stop in their tracks.

"Our alliance is at an end, abomination." The clone of Link snarled to Majora. "I know you've been intent on wiping out demonkind from the beginning, but at last I can take revenge using these fools." If this revelation was a surprise to Majora, it didn't show it. "Yes, I have been using your brothers as pawns to fulfill my schemes. What else would I do with a race of broken imbeciles?" It mocked the new adversary. "I had intended to spare you as an exceptional specimen, but I think that's no longer a possibility." The wretched creature let off a shockwave of strange power; in front of their eyes, every full-blooded Demon Lord in the room suddenly gripped their chests and collapsed, dead in an instant. "You are all used up pieces in my game of destruction; mere garbage as it is now. Quiver in fear, for I shall consume you... consume you all myself!"

Posted (edited)

'

Edited by ElwayGuy7 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Hell breaks loose at that point. Majora stands from it's throne, letting out an almighty sound - something between a roar and a howl.
Caoilainn jumps to her feet, immediatly casting off her shackles with ease. The other 'prisoners' follow suit. The two hooded figures rip their hoods from their faces, revealing Sheik and another tribe member beneath them.
Sault and Leo dash forward, weapons at the ready. And I stand there, willing my body to take action, but it won't.
And then it does, but not in the way I'd hoped. I find myself intercepting Caoilainn as she runs back to the Sheikah. A sharp drop kick is delivered into her abdomen, causing her to stumble.
She gives me a pleading look as I go to attack once again. And it's then that I realise that the only way I'm going to drive Majora from my mind is telepathically.
Caoilainn reluctantly raises her fists, grimacing.

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

I know already that it's Fintan, and I hate myself for it, but I swing a punch and it lands solidly on his jaw, knocking him to the side.

I wait, and half a second later I hear his foot coming upwards for a kick. I block it, if just barely, countering with a knee to the abdomen that leaves him winded.

Fintan may be possessed, but his body was Fintan's and I knew his weaknesses.

I try to devise a way around doing what I know I will have to, but either Fintan is going to kill me, or I'm going to help him out of this the tough way.

I reach forward, taking Fintan's tunic and pulling it apart with my small knife, which thankfully was tucked into my sash. Holding him as best as I can, I feel about and find what I'm looking for.

I take my knife, and with one quick motion, I reopen his stab wound.

Posted (edited)

I let out a resounding scream as I feel the blood begin to dribble down my skin. My joints weaken and I fall to my knees, waves of pain washing over me. But my hands won't clutch the wound, I can't take any action to help myself. But I know why Caoilainn did this. I know exactly why she did this, and unlike the first time she stabbed me, she's not acting out of anger or defence or malice - she's acting as a friend.

As I feel a bead of sweat trickle down the back of my neck, I turn my attention away from the battle. I hone in on the rhythm of my own heart beat, using it as a guide to help me sink back into my mind. And as I do, I find that the mark Majora left on my Palace of Balance is sickening. Dark magic seeps in every corner of my mind. That awful howling, roaring sound rings out, even now - like a battle cry. My defences have crumbled, meaning that my pain from the physical world still radiates through.

So I put all the energy that I have left into harnessing that pain as power. I let it all wash over me, savouring every searing sting of the open wound. I pull in my memory, remembering the sharp, insistent pain that dragged me from conciousness. I take every last blast of pain from that goddess forsaken wound, and push it into wiping Majora from my mind.

The white light that follows is blinding, even from within the Palace. My ears are ringing as it fades, the sound of Majora's battle cry having vanished. My mind is clear of dark magic, my defences restored. An overwhelming sense of calm passes over me, until I remember what's happening in the real world.

I pull myself from my palace as quickly as possible, resurfacing in reality without trouble. My skin is slick with sweat, my teeth gritted. As I wearily open my eyes, I find myself still on my knees, my hands clutching my stab wound. There's a lot of blood on my hands and my torso, my wound still aches as it did the first time I awoke from the stabbing. But as I look up, I see Caoilainn watching me apprehensively, her knife still clutched in her hand.

"Thank you..." I say softly.

Posted

"Good to have you back Fintan!" Sault called over to his revived friend. They could certainly use some help, because this battle was more desperate than any they'd faced before. Majora itself was no mere demon, though it was similar in shape; it's actual body was bigger and brimming with muscle. Worst of all, every inch of it's purplish skin was even more resilient than a Demon Lord's, and each blow Sault landed felt like he was chopping a tree with a blunt axe. As far as offensive measures, Majora was thankfully distracted as it tried to simultaneously re-establish its connection with Fintan and fend off the six powerful warriors hacking at it (the other forces had either perished at this point or had to fend off the lesser Bockoblins making their way into the chamber). Everyone had to contend with its claws and, most disturbingly, a long tongue that would fly out of its wretched mouth and try to lash everyone on occasion, but there was nothing beyond their ability to evade.

Sault, Caoilainn and Leoni could do the most damage to Majora while Melania and Fintan could stun it with precise arrow barrages, but much to his chagrin, Dark Link was unable to do anything. For all his rage, the devastating blows of the Sword of Duplicity were useless against their enemy's hide. "Damn you, beast!" he shouted as he was nearly gashed by its claws. "I've been fooled... that wretched Hylian knew I would die here!" Sault did have to admit, he guessed the Sword of Duplicity was an inept blade for slaying Majora; their uneasy ally was a dead man.

Any confidence Sault might have felt at the rage of Dark Link vanished when the clone charged him, sword raised and intent to kill. He managed to block the attack with his buckler, but it was such a direct hit that the Blade of Duplicity embedded in his shield and continued to press down on his protected arm. This was it; there was no way anyone could afford to turn their back on Majora and save him, he was on his own.

In that moment Sault realized he didn't want to die. It seemed so unjust, being on the brink of discovering his past and finding a girl he loved, only to have it all taken from him. He wasn't afraid, just filled with regret as his arm began to give out and the Blade of Duplicity approached his head. "Th-this... can't be over!" he shouted at the top of his lungs, but it was. Depleted of energy at last, Dark Link batted away his shield arm with his free hand and sank the Blade of Duplicity into Sault's chest. It all went white as his body shattered like glass.

((Hope you guys liked this! Don't worry, I'm not finished yet, and perhaps neither is Sault ;) ))

Posted

I freeze at what sounds like glass shattering into a million pieces next to me. The feeling of Sault next to me vanishes, and my stomach lurches. 

"What happened?" I call out, ready in a fighting stance. I hear heavy breathing in front of me, and feel a hand on my arm.

"Sault," Fintan says weakly. He doesn't need to finish before I understand what has happened.

"No..." I whisper. "NO!"

"Caoilainn-"

I launch forward, knife pointed forward, and find my target. I have no idea who it is, no clue who the person was that guided Sault and Leoni to this chamber. But it doesn't matter; they're a target. 

I reach him, or her, or it, in a matter of seconds, and my knife jabs at it. No reaction. It's then that I realise what it must be, why Sault seemed to shatter.

Ducking under the swing of its blade, I grab the hilt, kicking the clone over and pulling the blade from its grasp. Breathing hard, I lift the blade over my head and, without another word, plunge downwards.

I hit the clone's flesh, and at first, it's tough, the blade almost recoiling back. But I twist with a savage snarl, and feel the body give way, splintering like wood until the blade rests against the floor. I spring up, yanking the blade free, fists clenched tightly around the hilt, sweating and exhausted. I don't feel a bit of it, thanks to the adrenaline pumping through me. 

"Caoilainn..." Fintan says softly. "I'm so sorry..."

Posted (edited)

I don't have any words left to say to her. I know how it feels to lose the one person that you care about most in the world. But the difference is that I got Melaina back.

I glance over at Sault's body, and my throat tightens. I think he's beyond the point of no return. The thought makes my stomach churn, he is one of my best friends. Or at least, was. I can't ignore it any more - Sault is dead.

But now is not the time to grieve - now is the time for action. I glance over to Caoilainn, she looks like she's about to crumple like a piece of paper.

This is my mission. It's time to act like a leader.

I grip her firmly by the shoulders. "Caoilainn, listen." She lets out a soft sob. I give her a small shake to let her know I'm serious. "Listen to me," I say "Believe me when I say that I know exactly how you feel. But Caoilainn, you're the strongest fighter we have. We need you right now. I don't think we can do this without you."

She stifles another sob, sniffling. "But I-"

"No," I say firmly. "If Majora walks out of here tonight then all of this will have been for nothing. The last few weeks will have been for nout. The last thing Sault would have wanted is for you to give up. Don't let him have died in vain."

The mention of Sault stirs up something within her. There's a newfound strength in her, a sense of pride.

"Let's do this," she says softly.

We pick up our weapons and return to the battle.

Posted

...no

...this isn't over... it can't be...

...wait, what was this? The whiteness was becoming less hazy all of a sudden. Sault could feel his awareness returning, but this wasn't Majora's chamber he saw before him.

At first there was only a white void, but then rocks and patches of grass began to appear from nothing. It was as if he were a drawing on a blank slate and some unknown force was painting the rest of the world around him. Soon enough objects came into existence so that it was apparent he was in the middle of a cloudier version of Faron Woods. But Sault didn't have time to reminisce about his homeland, because suddenly he could feel a presence behind him.

Turning about, Sault only found a small child huddled against a tree, his hands over his face. "Hey, kid, are you alright?" he called out to the boy, but there was no response. He approached the boy and asked again, and this time he heard a meek voice call out. "I'm so alone... they took me from my home and I'm scared!" The boy replied, sobbing on occasion. He never uncovered his face as he buried his head in his arms. "Don't be afraid," Sault assured him. "I'll take you home if you show me the way. What's your name?"

"Majora."

Posted

((I'm finally back! The vacation was amazing, but it feels good to be home! I will be posting more regularly now!))

I see a blur of motion behind me, and I glance over my shoulder to see the Dark Link stab Sault in the chest with the Blade of Duplicity. I turn back to the fight, knowing that grieving is not an option right now. I can tell Caoilainn is shaken up, but I can't help her now. My internal fire burns hotter than ever, fueled by rage over Sault's death. I swing at Majora with the Blade of the Pure harder than ever, lashing out at its thick hide. No matter how hard I try, however, I can't even scratch it. That's when it hits me again. The inscription on the blade. I need a source of darkness and a source of light, I think. I turn and run back towards Caoilainn and Fintan.

"This isn't working," I say. "We're not getting through at all!"

"Well, what do you suggest?" Fintan asks, dodging Majora's claws. I don't say anything, but I hold up the Blade of the Pure, and I look at Caoilainn. She nods in silent understanding.

"Find Zelda, and if the two of you can strike Majora together with that blade, it just might work," I say. "I'll distract him so you can get a clean shot! Now go!" I yell, running back toward Majora, feeling stronger than ever. I pull out my ordinary blade from the scabbard on my back, and I set to work distracting Majora, slashing as hard as I can. I hope this works, I think to myself as I see Zelda and Caoilainn beginning to sprint toward the Demon. The Blade strikes Majora, and there is a bright flash of light.

Posted

"So you were taken from your home by the Demon Lords?" Sault asked the child-like form of Majora. They'd been talking for a little while now and catching up, and suffice to say it was a surreal experience. "Uh huh," The little boy explained, "They were angry, so they found my home and stole me, locking me up in that scary body they made. I just want to be back in my mask!" He started sniffling again, and Sault comforted him with a pat on the shoulder as he thought of a solution. "Hey, if my friends defeat that body you're stuck in, maybe we can go home together?"

Majora seemed a bit distraught at this notion. "I don't think you can live there. Only special spirits from masks can live inside my world." He seemed to think about it for a moment as he picked at the grass. "Unless... do you want to be a bad guy? I can make you a home like mine, but you have to be the bad guy because I'm the good guy." Sault didn't really comprehend Majora's logic; it truly was like talking to a child living in a fantasy world they made up. But he didn't have much choice anyway, so he accepted. "Yes! This is going to be so much fun!" The child sad as he finally lifted his face. As he did so, a strange mask appeared to cover it; perhaps this mask was his home? "I think your friends just beat up my body, so we can leave soon! Better go say bye-bye them before we leave!"

Recalling all he'd ever learned about meditation from Fintan (which was embarrassingly little), Sault assumed the Lotus Position and reached out to the soul that he was most intimately familiar with. "Caoilainn, it's me, Sault." he tried to speak into her mind, "I hope you can hear me, but I have to leave soon. I just wanted to speak to you, one last time, because I love you."

Posted

Majora howls as the sword comes into contact, and I thank myself that I can't see what follows. Something whizzes past me, and hits something -or someone- behind us.

I freeze up, then, when I hear a very familiar voice echoing in my head.

'... just wanted to speak to you, one last time, because I love you..'

"Sault," I whisper, ignoring the other noises around me and focusing on that voice. "How are you doing this...?"

I press my hands to the side of my head, letting go of the sword. I concentrate on finding what Fintan calls the Palace of Balance. I don't quite achieve it, but I find a distinct aura and identify it as Sault.

'Sault, Sault, it's Caoilainn! What's happening to you?'

My thoughts are interrupted when someone -presumably Melaina or Zelda, based on the body type. I step away from them, trying to smile.

Another person taps my shoulder, and Fintan speaks urgently.

"Sheik has been hurt," he says, and I let him guide me away from what remains of Majora.

"Fintan," I say on the way. "I heard Sault."

"Caoilainn," he says softly, "I know you're upset, but you have to keep on top of this. It'll get to you."

"But-!"

"Trust me, Caoilainn," he replies, gently but firmly. "Getting caught up in this won't help you."

Reluctantly, I nod, though I'm not entirely convinced.

Posted

The way the blast of energy was fired from that horrific beast as it fell to the ground was sickening. It struck Sheik right in the heart - he didn't make a sound as he fell to the ground. But even now as I run over, I can see the life slowly draining from him. His eyes are shadowed, his fingers grasping desperately at the dry earth. His breath escapes him in moist rattles as I kneel down, dragging his trembling body into my arms.

Sweaty fingers tug at my shirt, he's desperately clinging onto anything he can.

"Hold on..." Melaina mutters. "Zelda can heal you - you're going to be okay."

He shakes his head, letting out a soft groan. "No... it's Demonic magic..."

I grip him tighter, breathing deeply to try and ease the knot forming in my stomach. "No!" I snap, my teeth clenched. "We've already lost Sault... we're not losing you too!" But even as I talk, I can feel the demonic magic spreading through his body, slowing his heart beat.

"We can heal you," Leo insists. "I have potions and..."

"Please," Sheik groans. "Just listen... no matter what happens, watch over the surface. All I wanted-" he stops, hissing in pain. "All I wanted was to see it prosper..."

"And you did it," Zelda says, her eyes glassy. "Majora is defeated... the reign of terror is over."

"Guide them into prosperity," Sheik says, his voice slowly growing weaker, his body growing heavier. "Let the people live in harmony - please."

"We promise," Caoilainn says softly.

I sniff, unable to fight the tears that well in my eyes, threatening to pour down my cheeks. "Don't..." I plead. "Don't leave us... we need our chief, I need you!"

The smallest smile passes over his face. "The Sheikah can go on without me... I have the utmost faith in you... all of you..."

His eyes softly close, and a final breath escapes his lips. And for one moment, I swear it's over - but it isn't. Slowly, the magic begins to take it's effect. Piece by piece, his body flakes away, like autumn leaves blown away in a breeze. Everyone watches in stunned silence as his body slowly dissolves into shimmering blue crystals. The weight is slowly lifted from my arms, until all that's left is a small, peculiar shape in my palm.

His face is forever frozen in a mask - his bright red eyes staring endlessly. I don't understand - I can't comprehend what's just happened. But even now I can feel the power that radiates from the mask.

(( I'M SORRY! But I swear there's a point to killing him and a purpose for the mask! Just bear with me until they get back to camp! ))