Establishing Hyrule

566 posts in this topic

Posted

Ever since being assigned to follow Link until further notice, Sault had been feeling ecstatic. This was the biggest job he'd been given in his whole life, being the personal bodyguard of the legendary hero and all. And of course, there were tons of questions for Link which he wanted to ask. "Come to think of it," he said to the hero, preparing his next question, "both of us prefer swords and shields don't we? Your shield is much nicer than mine though, all I was given was this little buckler." Link gave a tiny smile, but seemed a little bit weary of his unexpected interview. "Well," he replied "this is a special model, the Hylian Shield. Lanayru gave it to me during a visit a few weeks before you guys showed up." Sault's mouth dropped open; this guy knew the mythical thunder dragon!? Every answer seemed to invite a new question.

"Actually, I'd like to ask you a question." Link proposed to Sault, his voice going a bit more serious. "Are you alright after yesterday? Killing that monster that looked like your friend, I mean." Sault thought about this for a moment, because honestly he hadn't thought about what he did yesterday. "I guess I didn't see it as something serious..." He admitted a bit hesitantly. "I should definitely care more that I took the life of something though, huh?" Link nodded. "I think you did the right thing, but it's also important to remember that you're fighting because you have to. Killing itself isn't the honorable act for us, it's the action of defending others that makes a hero."

Sault nodded in agreement. Link was so wise and insightful for someone his age; what sort of things did he do as a hero? Maybe following Link around for the day could teach him how to be a hero too...

Posted

Leoni winces when his foot comes into contact with the tree bark, but keeps going. I watch him repeat the kick again, each one a little higher than the last.

"How... do you... do this barefoot... Caoilainn?" he asks, shaking his head as he tries to regulate his breathing.

How do you use this big clunky thing?" I reply, giving his sword another slash through the air. Too heavy, too awkward.

Fintan is trying his hand at the sword too, frowning at it like the answer lies in the inscriptions on the blade. He chips away at the bark of his tree, trying out different angles and directions.

Letting mine drop to the floor, I pick up the bow and arrow that Pipit let me borrow, and decide to try it again. Not a lot of Sheikah use bows, though Melaina has a proficiency in that area. It was better than a sword too, I thought, even if this bow was a little too big for my liking.

Drawing back, I let an arrow fly into the bare trunk of a tree. It sails effortlessly through the air and lands with a thud. I nod to myself - if I was to fight with a weapon, it'd be one of these.

Leoni has exhausted himself, and I smile as he sits down and pulls a book out from his pouch. Fintan is still practicing his swings determinedly, and it seems he's making excellent progress.

I walk a short distance away, the bow and arrow with me, to another tree, and scale it easily, perching on a thick branch. I look around and find some fruit hanging from a branch on the tree nearest to me.

Making myself a little more comfortable, I nock an arrow and draw back, aiming carefully. I shoot once, and the arrow misses by about an inch. I try a second time, taking a breath to steady myself beforehand.

The yellow fruit drops from the branch, falling to the forest floor below. I hear it break open and grin. Shooting at another fruit, it goes down easily. Only this time, I'm met with a cry of surprise, and Fintan's laughter.

"Caoilainn!" Leoni yells up at me. I'm going to kill you when you get down from there!"

I giggle to myself, looking about for more targets. The bow and arrow was definitely a favourite.

Posted (edited)

Even though I'm a mess, a smile spreads across my face as I look up to the tree. Again, we are all enjoying ourselves, even though we've only just met. I spot the tree Caoilainn is in, and I quickly scale it. I sit on the branch next to her, waiting for her to notice me, calmly writing about the fighting technique in my notebook.

It was very difficult, and would be impossible without shoes, but it was pretty effective. Would be a great choice if I were ever disarmed. I write, closing the notebook and putting it back in my pouch. After a few more seconds, Caoilainn turns my way to look for more fruit, and she almost falls out of the tree from surprise.

"Leo!" she yells. "How did you- When did you get up here?" she asks.

"That's my little secret. I see I'm not the only one who prefers trees," I say.

"Don't scare me like that!" she replies, still a little flustered. She lets out a sigh. "Yeah. When you're in the trees, it's almost like you don't exist to anyone on the ground. Every once in a while, when I should be training, I come out here, find a tree, and just sit and think," she says. "But not often. Mostly, I do train," she clarifies.

"I do the same thing, except I often spend more time reading and thinking than training," I reply, laughing. "It seems we're very similar and very different at the same time," I say.

"Yeah, I guess we are," she says. We both sit in silence for a while, just looking at the forest around us, oblivious to the world. After a while I put my arm around her, and she glares at me.

"We're invisible, remember?" I say with a smile, and her glare turns to a smile as well. We sit there for a while more, and when I feel like the time is right, I lean over, and kiss her on the cheek.

Edited by ElwayGuy7 (see edit history)

Posted

I give a start, turning to look at Leoni, who grins back at me. Blinking slowly, it takes me a moment to speak up.

"And what was that for?" I ask. Leoni laughs, shrugging his shoulders.

"It felt right," he said. "So I took the opportunity."

"Well..." I trail off, frowning. "Well you're just lucky we're invisible, Leoni, otherwise I'd kick you."

"Well, it'd be worth it," he says, laughing again when I glare at him.

"I won't stand for this," I say jokingly, getting up with the bow in tow. I peer down at the forest floor, and smile. Without giving Leoni warning, I turn to face him, and then let myself fall backwards.

"Caoilainn!" he yells, and I grin as I free-fall to the floor below, twisting in time to roll as I hit the ground.

Fintan stops his slashes to look over his shoulder at me, shaking his head with a smile.

Leoni is scrambling down the tree like some terrified animal, immediate running over to me.

"Don't you do that to my heart!" he says, eyes wide. I put one hand on my hip, tilting my head to the side.

"I can handle myself fine, as you can see," I reply. "You have to stop worrying about me, you're breaking the ground rules by doing that."

Leoni shakes his head, but laughs a little anyway. Fintan looks a litte confused, but I'm not about to say anything just yet. Instead, I nock another arrow and strike an apple from a nearby tree, catching it neatly and taking a bite. All the while, I smile to myself. Allowing myself to behave like some silly girl was an indulgence, but I allowed it for now.

Posted

((I'll post a little later today, I'm a bit busy))

Posted (edited)

"I will stop. But I will always care about you, and you can't change that," I say. Caoilainn aims and fires at another fruit, and I run underneath it. But rather than catch it, I turn into a spin, drawing my sword and slicing the falling fruit in half. I pick up the two halves, and offer one to Caoilainn.

"One for me, one for you!" I say as she takes the fruit with a small grin, which fades into concentration. It almost feels like she wants to be free of responsibility, but she knows she can't. 

"Are you gonna train some more?" I ask, nonchalantly. 

"I'm not sure," she says, "But I probably should. On the other hand, it is close to midday, and I know Fintan will get hungry soon."

"I heard that!" Fintan shouts from a short distance away. We all laugh, and then Caoilainn drops her smile and the serious look returns. 

"I know I'm getting hungry," I say with a chuckle. "Shall we get some lunch?"

She shrugs, and turns back toward camp. "Why not?" she says, walking back. Fintan and I quickly follow, and I catch up with her. I think about holding her hand, but thinking about what she said earlier changes my mind. We get back to camp and get some food, and I sit at one of the tables. I take out my notebook, and write a small note. I know that she enjoys herself when she acts light-hearted, but I fear that she is burdened too much by responsibility. I hope that she can learn to let responsibility go once in a while and take pleasure in life. I hope this relationship works out... 

I close the notebook and put it back in its pouch, and I sigh aloud, hoping that everything will work itself out.

Posted

"What are you writing?" I ask, leaning across the table a little as I take a bite out of my bread. Leoni hastily packs his notebook away just before I see what's written, laughing nervously. 

"Oh, nothing," he says. "I've been keeping a record of my travels, I like making notes and doing research."

"I've noticed, bookworm," I reply, sitting down again. I'd bet any money I had -which was a few coins to say the least- that there was some very private things in there. "Diaries aren't always the best idea, you know. Better to keep your thoughts to yourself."

Fintan watches us, chewing thoughtfully on his food and looking as if he's piecing something together. I give him a sideways glance that warns him not to speak up, and he grins back. 

"Anyway," I say, "I'm gonna go back and train. You guys just slow me down."

They scoff, but I don't give them the satisfaction of replying, picking up the bow and arrow and jogging off with a crust of bread in my mouth and another piece in hand. I reach the outskirts of the camp fairly quickly, earning puzzled looks from other Sheikah when their eyes fall on my new weapon of choice. 

I find my tree, and drop the bow, leaving it for now. I'm not about to convert entirely, though I do have a newfound fondness for archery. 

Kicking hard, I knock an apple from my tree, grinning as it lands with a bounce. I punch twice, then kick, then kick higher, harder and harder each time. I don't even feel my knuckles bleeding until I stop to take a bite out of my apple. 

This is what I'm used to. Not some Hylian wanting to look after me, as if I needed it. I've taken care of myself for the past eight years, and I intended to keep things that way.

Posted (edited)

After she gets up from the table and walks off, I stand abruptly and walk off towards to forest. Once I am among the trees, I find a nice sturdy tree and I climb up to the highest branch I can comfortably rest on. Looking out over the treetops, I can see the village, all of its inhabitants, and the shelters. I can see my friends eating and chatting without a care in the world. I turn to the right and I can see Caoilainn training, striking the tree until it is stained red. Watching her reminds me how fragile everything is. If the Demon Lords came to this place, it would be destroyed, just like our settlement. Our lives would be scarred forever, and some might not even have life to hold on to. Relationships, families, love, shattered, just like that. I can't even imagine it. My mind turns back to Caoilainn and the things she said. I can't decide if she is right or wrong about my notebook. On impulse, I almost take it and throw it into the forest, never to be seen or found again. I think better of it, though, and I hold it in my hands. I open the front cover and I look at what is written on the first page. I stare down at the writing and the memories come flooding back to me. The first page has the names of my father, mother, and my little sister, and a drawing she made for me when I was at the academy. I flip through the pages, trying to remember what life was like with a family.

'It was a clear night, perfect for watching the stars, and my mother was cooking dinner over the fire. She was stirring our soup in the cauldron when she slipped on some water that had been spilled earlier that day. She fell on top of the pot, knocking herself out and setting fire to the house. My sister and father got caught in the fire, and my dad managed to get my sister out, but she died from complications. Being a knight himself, he ran back inside to save my mother, but when the fire was put out, they were both found dead. I never felt so alone and helpless after that night.'

I had written it not long after their deaths, and I begin to cry. She doesn't know how badly it hurts to be left alone in this world, I think. She doesn't know how it feels to know that you weren't able to save your family when it counted most. I cry for a while, then I rip out the most recent page, the one I wrote over lunch, and I tear it into shreds, scattering the pieces on the wind. I sit through dinner, sunset, and darkness, eventually letting sleep overcome me.

Posted

Dinner time had come and gone, but no matter how long everyone waited it seemed Leo wasn't going to show up for dinner. Some of the other Hylians had gone around looking for him but couldn't find anything. The turn of events has everyone worried, but Link was ready to reassure them. "Leo probably went out to train on his own and got carried away. Let me scout the forest and I'll head out and find him in no time." He suggested to the rest of the group. Sault perked up at the idea. "Oh, I'll make sure to go with you then!" he added.

Fintan's meditation gave the two a general location to search nearby, and with torches in hand it only took until half an hour after sunset for Link to find a tree that bore the marks of a climber. Looking up, Sault made out a human figure partially obstructed by tree branches. "Leooooooooo!" He hollered, "are you okay!? We're right below you!" The figure in the trees moved with a start, and turned its head downward to reveal it was indeed Leo. He made a fast clamber down the trunk and landed in front of Sault.

"Leo! What possessed you to climb a tree at this hour and stay up there for so long? You've been gone for hours!" Link asked, unable to fathom what was going on. Sault was baffled as well; there must be a good reason for Leo to do such a crazy thing. "I... didn't really want to make anyone worry," he replied, "...but I needed to do some scouting. You know, getting a look at the land for our benefit." Link sighed and slouched his shoulders, looking a bit frustrated but also relieved. "Just make sure you use more discretion from now on, you know how this stuff works." He nods in reply, and as they walk back, the torch light shines on Leo's face to give Sault a view. He wasn't sure, but it looked as if Leo had been crying. Maybe it was just his imagination.

Posted

We walk back to camp in silence, with Link leading the way. I keep my eyes on the ground, without a word to say to anyone. I am glad they came looking, it means that they all care, but it just shows that Caoilainn doesn't. That was such a mistake, I think as we walk in total quiet. I trusted her with my love and she broke it. I lament my decision as we finally reach camp. As we enter, everyone asks if I am okay, if there's something they can do, but I calmly tell them no and push through the crowd to my tent. I sit on my bedroll, not sleeping a wink, just thinking about what happened today. After I hear no more noise and see no more light, I grab a blanket and head back to the tree. I contemplate climbing it, but I am too tired. I fall asleep at its base, wrapped in the warmth of the blanket, reminding me of the love I never had. 

Posted

I wake earlier than usual, stretching before I head out into the cool morning air with my bow. It's quiet, very still even for this time, and I had the feeling I should have a little more protection. Shrugging the cold off, I keep moving until I'm within the forest.

I'm on my way to my tree when I spot a body, curled up and huddled against the tree. Upon closer inspection... it's Leoni. Confused, I make my way over as stealthily as possible, not making a sound to disturb him.

He has wrapped a blanket around him for protection against the cold. However I don't see any weapons about him, meaning he's been sleeping here all night without any sort of defence.

Shaking my head, I contemplate waking him up and reminding him of how much of a risk the Demon Lords are to us. But then I bend down, setting the bow aside for a moment, and slowly pull his blanket back. He shivers, muscles tensing up a little, and I quickly dart in beside him, pulling the blanket back into place.

I don't normally share a bed -in fact, it was a pet peeve pf mine- but I decided I wouldn't count this as a bed. I was on lookout, was all, and I pulled the bow closer to convince myself of that.

Posted

I awoke slowly, trying to remember what was going on, and why I wasn't in my tent like everyone else. i remembered all of the previous days events, and a melancholy mood came over me. I was about ready to stand up and make the trudge back to camp, hoping no one would notice, but to my shock, someone already has. I roll over slowly as not to disturb the person, and I am even more surprised by who it is. It is Caoilainn, with her bow in the crook of one arm, fast asleep. Maybe she did care, I think. I decide not to wake her, so I keep rolling over until we face the same direction, and I pull the blanket in closer to us. As I do this, I can feel how cold she is. She's almost shivering. I can't let her freeze, I think. I guess I have to do something. I move myself closer to her and wrap my arms around her, trying to warm her up. When I do, I see a small smile spread across her face, and I smile too. I don't care why she smiles, I'm just glad she's happy.

Posted (edited)

(( Hey guys! I'm back from NYC! Kinda tired from the plane journey but I had the time of my life! Here's a long post to make up for my absence... ))

As I make my way out of the back room of the temple, my head is spinning. Sheik just gave me the brief for the next mission, and I'm a little apprehensive of what's to come. It's a tough one... but he told me to take a team: four Hylians and four Sheikah, myself included. I know I need to bring Sault as he's Link's personal bodyguard, I plan on taking Caoilainn as she's a fighter, and Melaina because I trust her to have my back. As for the Hylian's, I know that I'll need Link and Zelda, and I'll take Leoni as well because he seems incredibly intelligent. I think, last of all, that I should bring Bryarly - she's intelligent, but unlike her friend Callia, she can also handle a sword.

I come across Link, Zelda and Sault as I exit the temple, so decide to approach them.

"Important news everyone," I say. "Can you go fetch Caoilainn, Melaina, Leoni, and Bryarly? We need to meet in the temple, stat!"

"We can go find Melaina and Bryarly, but Caoilainn and Leoni have vanished..." Sault says, looking sheepish. "I'm guessing Leoni went back to his tree, but I've not idea where to find Caoilainn."

I sigh, pressing my fingers into my temples. "Why do people keep just wandering off without telling anyone? Right... ok... you go find Melaina and Bryarly, I'll go and get Caoilainn and Leoni. Everyone needs to be in temple when I return, this is urgent!"

Sault nods, and the three of them rush off together towards the tents. I march off into the forest. I don't even need to meditate to find out where Leoni and Caoilainn are, I know for a fact that Leoni will be in his tree. And if my assumptions are correct, then I have reason to believe that Caoilainn will be with him.

I find myself walking at a brisk pace, taking long purposeful strides. As a result, it doesn't take me more than a few minutes to reach Leoni's tree. And sure enough, two figures lie at the base of the tree, curled up together underneath a blanket. Leoni and Caoilainn are dozing lazily as I approach. I can't help but smile as I walk over, leaning back against a tree opposite them, hands on hips.

"Rise and shine," I say loudly. "We've got work to d-"

My sentence is cut short as an arrow whooshes past me, lodging itself into the bark of the tree less than an inch away from my face. I turn, eyes wide, to find Caoilainn stumbling to her feet, trying to untangle herself from the blanket.

"Sorry Fintan!" she says. "You set off my defence mechanism..."

I reach up, suppressing my annoyance and yanking the arrow from the tree as I make my way over to the two of them. Caoilainn looks a little startled, but her usual self. Leoni, on the other hand, looks more tired and rumpled, as if he's been there all night.

"Fintan?" he mumbles. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here because we've got urgent work to do," I reply, turning and leading the way back to camp.

"Alright," Leoni says from behind me. "We were going to come back soon anyway."

"There's no need to come after us, Fintan," Caoilainn says. "I was just protecting Leoni - he was out here on his own, defenceless. I was making sure he was safe."

I turn around, looking her in the eye. "Really? Because it looked like spooning to me." She blushes profusely, and I let out a sigh. "Caoilainn, we're members of the Sheikah tribe. It is our Goddess-given duty to the protect the bloodline of the Mortal Goddess and the Chosen Hero, no matter what the costs. We have serious work to do - and believe it or not, the two of you wandering off in the middle of the night and causing everyone in camp to worry if you're ok is not part of our duty." I glance between the two of them, deciding whether or not to say the next part. "I'm pleased that you're happy in whatever this relationship is - but the moment you start swaying from your duty is the moment we start having problems."

Edited by NayruGoddessOfWisdom (see edit history)

Posted

Our walk back to the camp is spent largely in silence. I clutch my rented bow tightly, even feeling a strain on the wood, and keep my eyes trained on Fintan's back. I refuse to look over at Leoni, who walks midway between us, a little outside of my field of view.

Fintan was right in what he said to us. I'd been slacking since the moment I'd been picked up by Leoni in the middle of that fight. Any more time wasted like that and I'd be hopeless, I wouldn't amount to anything of worth. I won't deny that Leoni can make me smile and even laugh at times, but I'm a Sheikah. And more importantly, I'm me. And I don't slip up and get carried away with these kind of things. At least, I wouldn't anymore. 

Upon returning to the camp, we're met with Melaina, Sault, and the other Hylians. There's no time for greetings, as Fintan immediately begins briefing us on what is to be our new mission.

"During the Sealing War," he starts, "creatures very much like the clone we dealt with were abundant. They created a weapon, the Blade of Duplicity. Hylia tried to destroy it-" Zelda nods in response, looking a little distant- "but she couldn't. Instead, she split it into four pieces. Three are on the surface, and one is in the sky. Sheik thinks that Blagdan will use Link's clone to get the blade. So it's up to us to find the four pieces of the blade before the clone does."

The group take it all in, some worried glances exchanged among a few. 

"Link, of course, will still have to be supervised," Fintan says, and Link nods his agreement. "And none of us can afford to be... distracted."

A sinking feeling in my gut follows Fintan's words, but I don't let it show. He leaves with Melaina, the two of them talking, and I make my way to my tent, rummaging around for a bit before I find what I'm looking for.

I enter Sheik's tent, bowing my head as I step inside. He sits cross-legged, frowning at some ancient text, looking toward me with a mixture of surprise and confusion when he realises I'm there.

"Caoilainn," he says. "I didn't see you. What is it you came for?"

I show him the belt in my hands and he immediately realises my intentions. Shaking his head, he stands up.

"Caoilainn, no," he says, "I won't-"

"Please, sir," I interrupt, before he can refuse my request. 

"What have you done?" he asked. "Surely it can't be that bad."

"I've let you down," I tell him. "I've let my friends down, and I've let myself down."

He takes the belt from me, and I let out a sigh of relief. I kneel down and take my sash from around my waist, pulling my shirt over my head and exposing my bare, though heavily-marked skin, to Sheik. Setting my palms against the floor of the tent, I train my eyes on the canvas and on Sheik's feet.

Taking a deep breath, I brace myself. The first lash comes, and I take a sharp breath in as the leather thwacks against my skin. The next comes, and I barely supress my noise of pain. Another, and I feel a stinging in my eyes as well as on my back. A fourth, and a whimper escapes.

After thirty, I'm sobbing unashamedly, but I don't move from my postition, and Sheik doesn't stop.

Sixty, and I force myself to think of my parents, their mistakes and their death, my first days alone.

Ninety. I briefly think on my mistake, how I've been made a fool of.

At last, Sheik strikes for the hundredth time, and drops the belt to the floor. Any strength left in me is drained, and I fall to the floor, blinking away the last of my tears. 

I don't stay down long, picking myself up again so as not to stain Sheik's tent too badly. I wince as I feel about my back gently for the areas that have been damaged the most. 

Sheik hands me a red potion, and I thank him for it, but don't take it just yet. I put my shirt back on again, doing my best not to make any audible sounds of pain as the fabric rubs against my raw skin.

"Caoilainn," Sheik calls as I make my way out. "... Look after yourself."  

I nod assuredly, and with renewed firmness. 

I was back.

Posted (edited)

Fintan's words make me very uneasy. I can't exactly place it, whether it's jealousy, loathing for me, or just cold-hard reality. Whichever one it is, it bothers me, and even though Caoilainn tries to hide it, I can tell she is uneasy too. After the group disperses, she runs off quickly to her tent, as if she is looking for something. I contemplate following her, but I decide not to. She deserves some space, and who knows what would the others think if they found us together again. I don't even want to think about it, so I push the thought out of Fintan's criticism out of my head. The other thing that makes me uneasy is that she is still trying to fathom being in a relationship, which is strange, because it seems like she has many friends in camp. Did something happen to her? I think to myself. Did she lose her family too? All of a sudden, like a ton of bricks, the realization hits me. She has never mentioned family, nor have I seen anyone claiming to be related to her, just like me. With my newfound realization, I walk to the outskirts of camp, to the training area. 

I get there, and I can tell by the lack of noise that I am alone. I draw my sword, and I begin slashing at a tree, leaving long scars in the previously unmarred bark. I spin and jump around it, attacking with all of my might, until I can no longer stand. I fall to the ground, exhausted. "We both have no family, which is why we are loners who take care of themselves..." I say to the empty air. "And it's why I punish myself." I pull off my gauntlets to reveal my arms covered in scars from night after night of punishing myself for my mistake. And no small mistake, the one that cost me my family. I pull out my notebook and flip to the page I wrote on the first night I started. 

"I can't deal with myself any more... What a horrible person I must be, to have let them all die without doing anything. I am so stupid and ignorant! I don't even deserve to live! I should've died in that fire...."

The entry is completed with drops of blood staining the bottom of the page, and I know they are mine. At the time, I was depressed every day, and almost suicidal. There wasn't a day I didn't think about throwing myself off the edge of Skyloft and just falling to the Surface, dying on impact. My teachers and the headmaster kept me going through school, and I graduated from the academy. I decided to make up for my lack of vigilance by protecting others and burying myself in knowledge so that I would be prepared for anything.  I stopped cutting myself for the most part after I graduated, but occasionally I still do it, slicing my wrists over and over to remind myself of the pain I am responsible for. I almost start crying again from thinking of my parents and sister, but I hold the tears back, and I stand, stronger than ever. Now I am ready to find Caoilainn and the others. My quest is not single in nature, but rather two-fold: I must help find the Blade of Duplicity, and I must ask Caoilainn about her past, regardless of what happens to our relationship. I'm not sure which one will require more courage and strength, I think to myself as I walk back toward camp, sheathing my sword.

((Glad you're back, Nayru! Hope you enjoyed the States! I just wanted to say, this is the best RP I have ever participated in, and I love every minute of it))