Nintendo 64 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Revamped .ROM mod

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, first, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to read this (hopefully thoroughly) :D

I am going to create a .ROM file mod for Nintendo 64 emulators that makes the game so much better. One of the first things I will do is make the graphics much smoother and even add in some of the beta things that are in the debug ROM file that weren't originally in the game. I will also make a few more quests (optional of course) and possibly more items. This will, however, take a long period of time, a few months, a year, or a few years. I will keep you updated on my progress and once finished I will release the file to the public. (please, if I email/pm you a demo, don't leak it, thank you) If any of you would like to partake in the modding, logo design, or anything to help out, please feel free to either pm me, or hit me up at [email protected] If you sent me a message to my email, notify me on here please, just in case it messes up :)

I'll keep ya updated on my/our progress

UPDATE: I'm setting everything up to begin my modding. I've ran into a few problems which I believe can be fixed by downloading the latest .net framework version for my windows xp home edition 32 bit version.

Posted

I am going to create a .ROM file mod for Nintendo 64 emulators that makes the game so much better. 

my windows xp home edition 32 bit version.

honestly? These two lines worry me.

the first one implies that you know how to make a video game better than Nintendo and that you have the resources to pull it off.

the second line tells me that you do not have the resources to make it, even if you did know how.

Im not trying to be a dick, but you arent the first person to come in here claiming to make a Zelda game. Hell, even i wanted to make a game. My game was going to be way more simple and modest than anything out there, but even that i couldnt pull off with my knowledge and resources. 

So like, good luck but dont get your hopes up.

Posted

Thanks, and haha yea, I've been doing research on this for about a year now. True, my resources are rather old, but they'll work as long as I manually update my computer with all the nessicary programs. However, thank you for the constructive criticism :D instead of outright hatred. Also, I don't believe I know how to make a better game than them but I'll sure try :)

Posted

How do you plan to create a fully functioning dungeon? You mentioned you were adding more of them in your status. What programs are you using? Do you have any experience in 3D modeling?

Jux wondering.

Posted

Doesn't ocarina of time have its own model browsing/editing software? Utility of Time or something I think.

Posted

Yup, that's what I'm using. Along with a hex editor and Scroll of time. Im not sure exactly how to use scroll of time but I'll figure it out sometime.

@(x x): Ill just edit in a few more rooms (levels) branching off of different places like Hyrule field and Lake Hylia. Also, no, I have absolutely no experience doing 3d modling or anything of the sort other than editing bitmap files (texture packs) for things like Minecraft and survivalcraft. Thankfully, I'm a very fast learner :D

Posted

Yeah man, all you need is a base to learn from and you can simply work as you go along. Definitely push yourself with this project, and do not be afraid to change too much. Don't limit the extent of your changes being as simple as making new branches, feel free to change an ENTIRE area. Remastered content can be far more successful than simple edits.

Posted

Thank you :) I'll keep that in mind :)

Posted

welp, i guess i wish you luck. Be sure to post progress frequently!

Posted (edited)

Thank you, and I will!!!

Also,

UPDATE: Installed .net framework 3.5 and now the editing programs are working flawlessly, if a bit slow however, as I'm running a windows xp x32 bit. I'm going to start work on textures soon, and that may ultimately take me the longest. Right now I'm just browsing the features and looking around the files. After textures are done, if any of you want to try it out pm/email me (address is in topic desc.)

Edited by AppleDash98 (see edit history)

Posted

UPDATE: I think I'm just going to go ahead and put someone else's texture pack in a .zip file along with an emulator, the ROM file, and instructions on how to use the texture pack with the ROM because I'm at a standstill with textures. I have no idea how to edit the textures unless I go in and manually change every single place, dungeon, and everything to accommodate them (yes, I will give credit in the readme file). Also, I figured out how to insert and change both actors (things like people, chests and signposts) and levels/rooms. Not so sure about items yet however.

Posted

UPDATE: I'm grounded, so i have to stop for a little while

Posted

Lol. Kids these days. So easily groundable.

Posted

i prefer to have them ground into a fine powder, so i can use their remains in my magic

pheonix561, Disgea and PrimaGaga like this

Posted

i prefer to have them ground into a fine powder, so i can use their remains in my magic

Same. But for snorting.

Knuckle likes this