Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Geocaching- The Thread!

1 post in this topic

Posted

So I went Geocaching today with my friend. It wasnt until late at night so we could only get to the well lit areas. But we found 3 caches! They were all logs, where you write down your username and date. The first one had a signature from earlier today! The last one we found had dozens of names since 2011. The last log was in a film canister, so I placed a small DnD miniature in it, for the next person to find

147585.jpg

So if you don't know,

Geocaching /ˈəˌkæʃɪŋ/ is an outdoor recreational activity, in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world.

A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook where the geocacher enters the date they found it and signs it with their established code name. After signing the log, the cache must be placed back exactly where the person found it. Larger containers such as plastic storage containers (Tupperware or similar) or ammunition boxes can also contain items for trading, usually toys or trinkets of little financial value, although sometimes they are sentimental.

-Wikipedia

Gonna go again this Sunday! Super excited! We are using this app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geocaching-intro/id329541503?mt=8 and this website http://www.geocaching.com/

its free, and apparently not as good as the paid version from the same company, but i cant imagine needing the premium version. It has a map where nearby caches show up, featuring descriptions and an activity log (where people post when/if they found it) and even a compass pointing to the cache. It tells you how close you are too! Super rad!! 

Geocaching is fun, sneaking around and stuff. But id recommend doing it in the daytime. A lot of the locations are in parks or semi-private areas. You dont want the cops showing up, you know?

We plan to leave little notes next time, not sure saying what yet. Both in our original caches and ones others have left. I unno, i just really love this game. It's like a secret to everyone whose not in on it. And the players are calling the non players "muggles" on the app. Like "This cache is in a location where many muggles might see you from their office window" UGH it's perfect! This game is perfect!! 

Im gonna be posting all my adventures here, hopefully with pictures this time. I encourage you all to go out and join the fun too! then be sure to come back and post about it.

Remember- always bring a pen or pencil, some small paper (in case the log is full and the cache needs a new sheet), and a few small trinkets in case you find something in the cache that you'd like to take home as a trophy. You take something, you leave something. Oh and a car phone charger is super helpful.  

Oh, and my username on that app is foreverspooky

my personal referral link

http://geo.co/s/3wQn

Sahaqiel likes this