Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Discussion

205 posts in this topic

Posted

I played Ruby more than any Pokémon game. I have really great memories of it. The store was dumb (but it was even dumber in Sapphire). I really enjoyed the secret bases and the scenery, especially small details like that you could see reflected clouds in puddles on the ground. I remember there was a long stretch of land and interesting forest scenery between two cities. It was a GBA game but it actually made me feel immersed and lost in the wilderness (in a good way).

The generation had lots of neat secrets. Like if you catch Relicanth or Feebas, it actually feels like an accomplishment.

Yeah, a bunch of us on chat were talking about it and the route that had soot falling and Pacificlog Town and Sootopolis City came up, which we all agreed were really cool things. The mystery of the underwater ruins and the Braille and Regis were all really cool as well. The secret bases were cool, too, they should bring those back, but make them even better in some way, maybe with an online aspect to it. Yeah, like you said, these games had a lot of secrets to them, which is always a fun thing about the Pokemon games.

I hope they put day and night into the game though, which the originals lacked and was a step down from gen 2. They'll probably also bring back Pokemon Contests.

Posted

I just hope they don't regress? I guess I'm setting myself up for disappointment, not being able to walk with pokemon was disappointing after playing HG and SS, for example. I hope a lot of the stuff I like about XY are in this.

Posted

Ahahaha. Prepare for disappointment.

Just look at all of the exclusive features unique to each Pokemon game and you'll realize more than half the things introduced in X/Y will be removed.

Ammonsa and T1g like this

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure they'll have day and night

Guys, you can transfer your Pokemon from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/Soulsilver, to Black/White/Black 2/White 2, to X/Y, then trade them to Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. It'll be like the baby Pokemon was born in its native land of Hoenn, lived a full life abroad in the world, and then dies, returns to Hoenn and is buried in its native soul. The circle of life...

Edited by Iargely Iegendry (see edit history)
Ammonsa likes this

Posted

I played Ruby more than any Pokémon game. I have really great memories of it. The store was dumb (but it was even dumber in Sapphire). I really enjoyed the secret bases and the scenery, especially small details like that you could see reflected clouds in puddles on the ground. I remember there was a long stretch of land and interesting forest scenery between two cities. It was a GBA game but it actually made me feel immersed and lost in the wilderness (in a good way).

The generation had lots of neat secrets. Like if you catch Relicanth or Feebas, it actually feels like an accomplishment.

I enjoyed the secret bases too. I've got a mixed opinion on them in that I think it's cool you have to explore and look around for a good secret base, but at the same time the random layouts are so limiting, and a good layout might have a really bad location. When Nabe/Muffin/T1g and I podcasted, we brought up the possibility of combining the underground tunnels of fourth gen with the secret bases of third. That would be awesome, imo.

The graphics were great yeah, everything felt so crisp and open. The lost-in-the-wilderness feel is something I think is great for Pokemon, since it very much embodies the idea that you're on your own out in the world, and it did try to present mysteries even if they weren't delivered upon in the best way.

I feel like catching Feebas was definitely a broken kind of secret. I do think secrets found by the few are cool, but Feebas just became a pain because knowing the secret just made it a major inconvenience. Ideally, it would be neat if Feebas were something that only people that happen to fish it off a shore coincidentally would have, and then it would spread around that there's this crazy Pokemon that's been eluding our Pokedex forever, and eggs would be traded around. That actually sounds awesome. Then there would be effort in finding out how to evolve the thing, and that would spread too. Strategy guides and hacking the game ruined that though. I understand that it was supposed to be a collaborative effort based on socially interacting with other players, but it just didn't catch on because the secrets are available on Serebii.net, or something you can buy for 9.99.

I think third gen had some good ideas and a good atmosphere. I honestly hope these games can change my mind and have me look back on the third gen more fondly.

Iargely Iegendry likes this

Posted (edited)

If the same characters are used from the Hoenn region and if trainer customization is still a thjng, we can finally see once and for all that the male trainer doesn't have white hair, but a hat. I thought he had white hair for the longest time and thought it was really stupid looking.

The theme of man Vs nature was prominent in the originals. This is just speculation, but perhaps players will use a hybrid car instead of a bike?

Edited by Iargely Iegendry (see edit history)
PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

The main character moved from Johto right?

How the hell did a moving van drive across the ocean

Posted

aaaaaaaand that's my cue to post this again:

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

@pheo was the hat/hair/I dunno thing really a competition? We know you like Jojo. We get it, trust me!

Posted

We know you hate/want to kiss pheo. We get it, trust me!

PrimaGaga and T1g like this

Posted

haha, okay, i trust you.

some test footage of one of the cut scenes.

Posted

I guess this is like the pokemon general now?

So I came up with the best name for Zoroark

His ability if you're unaware, is that when you throw him out to the opponent he looks like whatever pokemon is last in your party.

So I named him Dio

"YOU THOUGHT IT WAS A SCIZOR, BUT IT WAS ACTUALLY I, DIO"

pheonix561 and Teto like this