The Political Compass

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html

I think we already had a test like this. I think I might have been the one to make it? I might be wrong.

But we should do this test anyway. It's kind of neat. Also, if you want, you can insult each others' results. I am curious to see exactly where this test says you guys stand.

Here is the format: the grid that it gives you is actually an image that you can link. So are the two scales below it.

My results:

30x31.gif

Foreign Policy:

On the left side are pacifists and anti-war activists. On the right side are those

who want a strong military that intervenes around the world. You scored: -9.68

n2.gif

Culture:

Where are you in the culture war? On the liberal side, or the conservative side?

This scale may apply more to the US than other countries. You scored: -4.98

c25.gif

I thought my Culture results would be further to the left. I think I was neutral in some cases.

Edited by Iargely Iegendry (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

14x35.gif

n10.gif

c13.gif

Er, never mind I got it

Edited by Necropolis (see edit history)

Posted

I'm a left moderate social libertarian, apparently. 

11x26.gif

I'm a pacifist when it comes to war, which is only partly true. I definitely believe we should defend ourselves and others that call on us, but we shouldn't go looking for war, or intervene in things that we have no business with. 

n17.gif

I'm smack dab in the middle of the liberal/conservative war, lol. 

c50.gif

Posted (edited)

Chase.

What.

Edit:

The left/right spectrum is in regards to economic policy mostly, I guess. Not necessarily the stereotypes and cliches about what left/right mean. I guess I forgot that and was surprised when I saw Chase's results.

Posted

The cultural questions I knew I would be in the middle, because I'm always in the middle in every single political test I take. I was libertarian as well in my politics class. 

I've been telling people for years I'm not a conservative. People always seem to think I am, but no. I have some conservative views, sure, but I also have liberal ones. I'm more conservative when it comes to the family, respect, rank, etc. My family is very conservative. They always talk bad about black people and poor people (they often think blacks are the poor). It makes me angry.

I honestly just get tired of people (especially in my home town) saying that the poor are worthless and we shouldn't help them. "My tax dollars shouldn't go to their drugs!" Well, okay, that's a real Christian viewpoint you have there, man. So I'm pretty liberal on issues of the poor and standards of living. Everyone, gay, straight, black, white, man, woman, etc. should have abundant access to necessary things, such as food, clothing, shelter, etc. And, yes, those of us with more money should have to give more. A higher tax on the rich would help everyone but the only people who don't need economical help. The rich.

I think social issues such as abortion and gay marriage are not nearly as important as everyone seems to think. I think much more important issues are dealing with our national debt, dealing with the balance of powers between the president, congress, and the court, and giving everyone a decent standard of living. 

I think minimum wage should be enough to live comfortably on, and I think businesses should be restricted from raising prices and the government should be restricted from raising taxes in response. If your business loses a bit of money to go toward making your employees' quality of lives better, good.

Iargely Iegendry likes this

Posted (edited)

I think poor people are too dumb to know how to spend money. Maybe that makes me a dick. I've just worked with too many poor people who use their money on phones and drugs.

Even my friend, who has two five year old kids and works a full time job and goes to school spends 1/3 of her check on weed. I have many other anecdotal examples of these types of people. I am keeping in mind that they are anecdotal examples, but they're the real life events, among others, that have shaped my views.

Another example: My friend moved out of her dad's house. She was looking at a great, affordable apartment in our city. It was within biking distance of her school, and close to her job. Instead, at the last minute, she picked a "trendy", hipster apartment in downtown Fort Worth which costs three times as much as her first choice, and it also requires her to get a $80 a month parking permit. She then applies for and got approved for a welfare program.

I have no pity for people who aren't like a widower or have an actual medical condition.

Posted

Again I find all these questions too challenging to answer. Like I have no knowledge of trade unions or how they changed things, or the free market whatever that is. I don't have opinions on most things in this quiz, and then I wouldn't have a strong enough opinion to have an opinion on how much it matters. I don't know how the world should be run, and I'm not willing to try and prepare an answer for that because I'm not the kind of person who's in any position to give one. I tend to only value the opinions of informed individuals, and in this case I'm not one of them. Maybe I'll start having informed opinions but until then there's no sense in me talking about it. If I did I'd just be pulling useless opinions out of my ass. 

Posted

I think poor people are too dumb to know how to spend money. Maybe that makes me a dick. I've just worked with too many poor people who use their money on phones and drugs.

Even my friend, who has two five year old kids and works a full time job and goes to school spends 1/3 of her check on weed. I have many other anecdotal examples of these types of people. I am keeping in mind that they are anecdotal examples, but they're the real life events, among others, that have shaped my views.

Another example: My friend moved out of her dad's house. She was looking at a great, affordable apartment in our city. It was within biking distance of her school, and close to her job. Instead, at the last minute, she picked a "trendy", hipster apartment in downtown Fort Worth which costs three times as much as her first choice, and it also requires her to get a $80 a month parking permit. She then applies for and got approved for a welfare program.

I have no pity for people who aren't like a widower or have an actual medical condition.

I get where you're coming from, and I know people like you're talking about, but I was on the other side of things as well. There are definitely a lot of poor people like that, but I think there are just as many that are trying their hardest. And then there are people who are too poor to educate themselves on how to get out of that hole. People for whom, circumstances have been very unfortunate, do to no fault of their own. Its a lot more complicated than poor people are too dumb to know how to spend money.

Posted

Maybe I'll be exposed to those kinds of people then, but right now, I don't know.

Part of my wants there to be more of a stigma on people who get aid, just to keep them grounded in their egos. The other day I got honked at while driving because I was trying to take a photo of this ridiculously customized car belonging to an urban youth that was parked outside of a Family Dollar store. I can fill a book with these kinds of examples. There's an angry part of me that wants them to have stigma for their welfare. Because I honestly feel like a dumbass for working for things that I have. I know it's wrong

Posted

I think it's fine to pay people more for doing more difficult work. But living shouldn't be a chore for anyone. If you have a job, you should be able to live, simple as that. I think if we treat the poor like they're just going to misuse money, then we have no room to talk when we spend money on things we don't need. How many are cursing the poor while driving their fancy cars?

I should not have to be indebted to a man or corporation for a higher education. I should not owe anyone to live. Unalienable rights aren't given to me by a piece of paper. Birth grants us all the right to live and the ablilty to help others.

Posted

I wish you could have watched 1776 with us

Posted

9x25.gif

n29.gif

c12.gif

extremely shocking and unexpected results, here.

PrimaGaga and Knuckle like this

Posted

I wonder if anyone on this website would be on the authoritarian side